Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dorfs are Planning Something  (Read 1409 times)

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Dorfs are Planning Something
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »

I have been playing DF for quite some time, and in that time I have learned that there are certain constants, certain beliefs and ways-of-things-being-done which are set in stone:
 - If the dorf can strand himself in an inescapable position while doing ANYTHING s/he will.
 - A skeletal groundhog, can do more damage than a dragon.
 - Just because the aforementioned groundhog outright murdered the plate-wearing, legendary-weapon-wielding warrior dwarfs, does not mean a single untrained dwarf
  - If they can find an excuse to not work (such as a party, taking a break, having a snooze or because they thought they may have seen some sort of animal which may possibly be dangerous thus forgetting what they were doing and dropping what they were carrying.) This is part of why I enjoy the game, you never know what might go wrong.  :D

Which is why I am currently wondering what the dorfs are planning... Starting my latest fort I find they work quickly and precisely, the miners are tearing away at the hard rock, pausing only to build or produce key elements, or a short snooze. The trade-dwarf drops EVERYTHING and sprints to the trade depo as soon as he is needed while the entire fortress mobilises to carry goods for trade to the waiting caravan. Just to add paranoia to unease: One of the miners actually carved out the sewer (read: massive water project of kobolt doom) without getting stuck, falling into a hole, having the whole place collapse or putting his pick through his foot. I swear, if I had sound enabled, they would be singing the hi-ho-hi-ho song... The little buggers MUST be planning something... but what?! Anyone got any ideas what might be going on? Is it some kind of dwarven holiday? are they simply messing with my mind?  ???
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dorfs are Planning Something
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:25:01 pm »

eh? I think you're just bieng paranoid....

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:22 pm »

You must have wronged them in a previous fort. They are setting the standards high. You'll get used to them actually working and doing what you need them to do, then next time that 60 gobbo siege comes by suddenly your entire military will go on break and every table in your fortress will be designated for partying. And when worst comes to worst and you want to pull the self destruct level all of your dorfs will be sleeping or partying, forcing you to watch hours, days, maybe even weeks of your life crumble in front of you.

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:41:12 pm »

hmm... probably, though they cannot be from a previous fort... in the past all of the "settlers" have succumbed to FUN, no survivors. And it is only the original lot... just got a wave of immigrants and they are the usual bunch of lazy, drunk, layabouts that wouldn't put out their beard if it was on fire (which is a distinct possibility as I just stumbled across the magma pool). I think I may have possibly won the "beginning lottery" and gotten some fresh dorfs that hasn't experienced the horror that is DF yet.
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:03:20 pm »

What they are doing is too devious to be spelled out in-game.  They're cruelly ratcheting up your unease, rendering you suspicious and paranoid of their every move.  You've come to expect them to fail, now they're tormenting you with success to such a degree that you're forced into asking other people to explain your dwarf's actions, worrying all the while.

It's working.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:48 pm »

It probably has to do with the personality traits of your starting dwarves. Check if they're "very active"/"very energetic and active"/"constantly active and energetic", "self-disciplined"/"possesses great willpower"/"self-disciplined" and/or "strives for excellence"/"thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence"/"constantly strives for perfection".

If you felt the need to read to read all that and pick stuff out, check out this page on the dwarfwiki:http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Profile
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:04:01 pm »

There's also the possibility that you're just getting a little better at organising. I know that as I go from hugely disorganised dorfs with a half a dozen labours each to dorfs dedicated to one profession, or trained to accomplished in masonry/carpentry/leatherworking and then dedicated to hauling until they mood, productivity is up hugely, and my improved fortress layouts that take advantage of z-levels have a pretty big effect, too. I also don't designate statue gardens or communal dining halls or anything of that sort, so no parties.
 You've probably just implemented a few small improvements that have had a big effect, and/or just got a lucky roll on dorf personality like Neoskel said. Maybe you should get your migrants to grind stats as pump operators or something, so that at least when they're not skiving off, they're moving faster.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 09:38:11 pm »

Urist cancels Process Plants: Grinding in World of Dwarfcraft
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tryptic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 12:08:22 pm »

Obvious Solution:

All work and no play makes Urist a good dwarf.

....Heere's URIST!