Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Please tell me there's a better way to do this  (Read 844 times)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please tell me there's a better way to do this
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:17:34 pm »

So I'm trying to mod in plant-like creatures (giant evil walking trees and shrubs), but I'm having trouble making a branching limb structure that works. I eventually resorted to just shoving everything under one [BODY] tag, but it is clunky and confusing as hell.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, it's horrendous, but it creates the expansive branches I needed. I tried making seperate body tags for the lower, middle, and upper branches and twigs, but all it did was create a single set, not the expansive, exponentially-increasing-number of the things. Any advice?

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please tell me there's a better way to do this
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 09:54:17 pm »

Have you tried using the [CONTYPE:X] rather than the normal connection method? You can use progressively smaller tags for the smaller, more divided branches. Something like 4 [liMB]s, each having 4 [GRASP]s, each having 4 [DIGIT]s; for a total of 64 tiny little twigs on the ends, 16 sizable (able to grab adventurers) branches and 4 main boughs.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please tell me there's a better way to do this
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:58:35 pm »

Even if the above worked (and I'm fairly sure it should do, but doesn't, because I attempted something like this recently), the pusedo-tree would still be utterly symmetrical, which would probably be a bit odd.