Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What the...  (Read 2728 times)

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
  • Celtic warrior Chicken!
    • View Profile
What the...
« on: October 31, 2009, 12:37:11 pm »

A vile force of darkness just arrived.
This was perfectly normal, except one group spawned in a bedroom. A BEDROOM. Underground. With no way to have gotten in. And this is a bedroom that is right beside a mining area. Which is being worked upon. By several dwarves. Its not like they could have sneaked past one way or the other, as the entrance has enough rock fall traps to exterminate any invasion. And there are a fair amount of archers. And one legendary archer.
In other words, Goblins have learned to teleport. Into my base. A base who's entire defense system is to prevent any entrance, rather than exterminate invaders. With archers.

Eh.... Glitch, or were they hiding under the bed?

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
Re: What the...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 12:43:21 pm »

Teleporting Goblins? WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE?

Probably a glitch, Dunno if it's happened before.
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 12:50:04 pm »

I've heard this reported two or three times before.

Nobody's sure exactly how it happens, but I seem to recall that the goblins tend to spawn on the edges of local map tiles (which are 48x48 blocks of normal tiles), so that might have something to do with it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 01:07:52 pm »

I believe the cause is because you have an uneven embark size. Is it say 7x5 tiles or something of the like? Because visitors and invaders tend to spawn at the lower bound of those two numbers, thus even though your embark may be 7 tiles long, the goblins will spawn in a box 5 tiles long. Thus the spawning in the bedroom.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 01:15:53 pm »

Hmm. I can't remember to be completely honest. I could have, to incorperate useful minerals (sand mostly, along with brooks (not streams), and if possible chasms for silk) but still. It was in an underground bedroom, Quite a distance from any edge.

By the way, the siege has finished, and this is possible the hardest I've been hit in a long time. Bits of dwarf and kitten everywhere. A large amount of dead Goblins, but there were three legendaries who tore through my dwarves. I had just over a hundred, now I have under eighty.

The good news: I almost have the right amount of beds now. Although I have to replenish my military and now I will commence randomly placing traps inside my base.

I look forward to the day I can send a party to raid and pillage a goblin civilisation, so in some parralel dimension there is someone playing Goblin fortress who can post a topic on teleporting dwarves.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 02:16:39 pm »

Nobody's sure exactly how it happens, but I seem to recall that the goblins tend to spawn on the edges of local map tiles (which are 48x48 blocks of normal tiles), so that might have something to do with it.

Being a fan of long embarks, I've only ever seen sieges do this on the surface. OP's got a problem with them spawning underground for some reason.

Is the bedroom technically outside due to a skylight or something?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 02:33:51 pm »

No. It is some way into the complex, With nothing special about it, just three doorways (no doors), and a bed. No skylight, no access to the underground. Not even an entrance tunnel (which I would have considered to be really stylish and ironic of the goblins). They just appeared, shooting steel death into my miners, and then into my soldiers, before the other parties from outside arrived, which I had completely forgotten about. Damn, what a slaughter. I got a lot of them, but the numbers! There had to be at least 20 if not 30. And this is only my second or third siege this fortress. I need coffins like nobodies business.

If there is one thing that might have contributed, a dwarven caravan had unloaded at my depot. It was outside, but on the same level. Perhaps it was a kind of ambush for the train? And it had gotten geographically misplaced?

Oh yes, I forgot to mention.

THE BLOOD! GODDAMNED EVERYWHERE. If it weren't for the fact it pleases Armok I would be seriously pissed off. Do you know how hard it is to get out of Sand flooring?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 02:36:30 pm by Mr_Bucket_Hat »

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 03:16:24 pm »

THE BLOOD! GODDAMNED EVERYWHERE. If it weren't for the fact it pleases Armok I would be seriously pissed off. Do you know how hard it is to get out of Sand flooring?

I dont know why but I find that hilarious.  ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 05:17:08 pm »

As much as I hate Vince, ShamWow it.

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »

As much as I hate Vince, ShamWow it.

ShamWow isn't made by Germans... It's made by Dwarfs
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:35:45 am »

To add to confirmation of prior occurrences of this phenomenon, I've also seen a fort on DMFA where the goblins spawned inside a farm underground, though I can't say why.

Edit: How strange, found a link by coincidence on the first page http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7164-mafolzasitchamberknife
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:37:34 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mr_Bucket_Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 08:49:25 am »

I hadn't checked.

To be brutally honest, this wasn't just to report another incident of this glitch, but also to start posting again on my own behalf. I was gone for over a week, to Hungary, without a computer (although with a Nintendo DS and a copy of Pokemon Platinum that I picked up at the airport and I tell you this: I am neither ashamed nor disappointed), but with a lot of statues, excellent transport systems and markets full of all kinds of merchandise. One of which was nearly entirely peopled by the Chinese, whom all seem to be friendly and utterly fun loving. I have to learn more about their culture, as Fun is a commodity I find hard to locate.

But the main thing I saw, was essentially what Terry pratchett states in the Night watch.

The city works. Quite well. Its like a gigantic clock, millions of tiny tiny gears grinding together to do the work of big wheels, which turn, ticking another second to completion. Hundreds of thousands of lives who click from one tooth to another, interacting with other lives, which allow others to turn, gears the didn't know existed.
And all the while, they take in food, water, shelter, people, raw materials, tourists, artists, steel workers, builders and much more, and they produce second by second a city whos inhabitants can live in.

Of course, there are broken gears. And thats terrible, for its the clockmakers job to ensure that the wheels turn smoothly, and that gears broken are removed, repaired and put back in. These gears will never be able to turn without this, never help turn another, never hear the click of the clock.

Its unfair to dehumanise people in such a way, comparing them to teeth on a wheel, but that is part of what they are. But they are still human, with human needs. The broken Gears, the homeless, the disabled, the broken and battered, the people who never knew different, they were the responsibility of the government, the clockmakers, who (at least, in My country, Ireland) don't care for the machine, but take the seconds it turns out and line their own lives with it, for it is they that are truly broken.

This, my friends, this and truly this, is the essence of Dwarf Fortress. The ultimate Clockmaker simulation. The attention to detail, just like in a clock, is astounding. It is a clock, but a clock of fractals, as it turns out other clocks, each giving off a different tick, each taking a different measurment of time. Some are small and crude, some are ornate but flawed, some do as they were meant to do, and that is run smoothly, not allowing anything interfere with the gears, taking broken gears and mending them, finding work for loose teeth, showing the true love of a clockmaker for his craft, the true love for the gears, and always, always the search for perfection in the smallest of detail.

tick.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:52:37 am by Mr_Bucket_Hat »

Coyote Sans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 09:12:36 am »

I was unaware Toady was so serious about Improved Sieges. He managed to implement it two updates before he said he would! Without releasing a update to do it!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 11:07:30 am »

I hadn't checked.

To be brutally honest, this wasn't just to report another incident of this glitch, but also to start posting again on my own behalf. I was gone for over a week, to Hungary, without a computer (although with a Nintendo DS and a copy of Pokemon Platinum that I picked up at the airport and I tell you this: I am neither ashamed nor disappointed), but with a lot of statues, excellent transport systems and markets full of all kinds of merchandise. One of which was nearly entirely peopled by the Chinese, whom all seem to be friendly and utterly fun loving. I have to learn more about their culture, as Fun is a commodity I find hard to locate.

But the main thing I saw, was essentially what Terry pratchett states in the Night watch.

The city works. Quite well. Its like a gigantic clock, millions of tiny tiny gears grinding together to do the work of big wheels, which turn, ticking another second to completion. Hundreds of thousands of lives who click from one tooth to another, interacting with other lives, which allow others to turn, gears the didn't know existed.
And all the while, they take in food, water, shelter, people, raw materials, tourists, artists, steel workers, builders and much more, and they produce second by second a city whos inhabitants can live in.

Of course, there are broken gears. And thats terrible, for its the clockmakers job to ensure that the wheels turn smoothly, and that gears broken are removed, repaired and put back in. These gears will never be able to turn without this, never help turn another, never hear the click of the clock.

Its unfair to dehumanise people in such a way, comparing them to teeth on a wheel, but that is part of what they are. But they are still human, with human needs. The broken Gears, the homeless, the disabled, the broken and battered, the people who never knew different, they were the responsibility of the government, the clockmakers, who (at least, in My country, Ireland) don't care for the machine, but take the seconds it turns out and line their own lives with it, for it is they that are truly broken.

This, my friends, this and truly this, is the essence of Dwarf Fortress. The ultimate Clockmaker simulation. The attention to detail, just like in a clock, is astounding. It is a clock, but a clock of fractals, as it turns out other clocks, each giving off a different tick, each taking a different measurment of time. Some are small and crude, some are ornate but flawed, some do as they were meant to do, and that is run smoothly, not allowing anything interfere with the gears, taking broken gears and mending them, finding work for loose teeth, showing the true love of a clockmaker for his craft, the true love for the gears, and always, always the search for perfection in the smallest of detail.

tick.

This is beautiful and true, but what is even truer is that the best experiences of being the clockmaker come when the clock breaks down in unexpected ways to due its complexity, and all its perfect order and flawed intricacy finally come crashing down.

Building off the idea of the clockmaker as that universal watcher, one possible interpretation of Armok is that he is actually the player, unacknowledged even by himself, ruling as an absolute god over a race of beings that possess free wills but are subject to his whims.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 07:26:03 am »

Dwarfs don't have free will.

They have sock will.

"Will this get me a sock? No? Then let's not do it."

Why do you think they run out to sieges all the time?

Sock will, I tells ya.
Pages: [1] 2