Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Space Station 13: C++ edition  (Read 5702 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13: C++ edition
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 01:14:56 pm »

This project can't officially start until you get That Guy. You know, that whimsical person with the "ideas" that doesn't really contribute anything to the project but wants his name in the credits anyway because he thinks sitting around on a forum and suggesting things to implement is a viable position.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 07:20:20 pm »

Idea:
  • Use SDL for window opening, file loading, and stuff...
  • Use OpenGL for actual rendering
  • World tick, 10-100 times a second
  • Everything (like graphics) with a high data volume and moderate chane rate records the world tick number at the time of each change
  • When the client requests data on (Turf-equavelent), they send the last world-tick they recieved data on it
  • The server sends back The entire contents, in breif(unsigned int) internal IDs, with detailed data accompanying all that have changed since the tick-time given
  • The client sets all the objects' update tick time to the new value(sent with most/all data transmissions)
  • Each object has a second tick value for right-click menu options(Or they are declared static)
  • Text documents also use a tick-value
  • The only issue this leaves is 32-bit unsigned int overflow issues, but at 10/second, that's a whole 13.6 years...
Eh?
Eh!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 08:28:00 pm »

Davion, you have found That Guy.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 08:23:14 pm »

Davion, you have found That Guy.

and his name is Squeegy
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 08:30:18 pm »

Posting to see how this develops.

I'm trying to learn to use Opengl whenever I can... But I'm just starting...

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 01:59:13 pm »

If someone is truly interesting in starting this, I can perhaps hook you up with the other guys who attempted this.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 02:03:49 pm »

How did their attempt go?

Did they try for a singleplayer game and then realize they would never get it to multiplayer?

Did they use a game engine or premade code?

Did they have a playable demo?
Eh?
Eh!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 02:10:45 pm »

How did their attempt go?

Did they try for a singleplayer game and then realize they would never get it to multiplayer?

Did they use a game engine or premade code?

Did they have a playable demo?

No,

They tried,

No.

Basically it went nowhere, despite around 3 different tries (That I personally know of).  Again, the only way it's going to get off the ground, like most projects, is if someone starts it. 

If you build it, they will come.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 02:33:31 pm »

I would personally start with the most basic networking, arrow key movement being sent to the server, and the server console-outputting the player's new coordinates.

Then add a graphical view for the players with a simply coloured quad for each, visible to the others, with the optimization of only showing stuff within the screen.

Then a basic map, that updates as the player moves, and a key that toggles each turf-equivalent between two shades of grey, allowing for development of an update-only-when-needed system so that clients can't "see" the other side of the map with a memory editor, they only see how it was last time they were there. Also, to reduce the data load.

Then a text display and chat feature, with standard and ooc, where the diffrence is that standard is a local area only version. Also, server requests name from client, name is loaded from a text file and is cut down to max 128 chars.

After that, we would have a playable demo of an engine that could possibly be expanded with features such as visibility and actual gameplay.
Eh?
Eh!

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:45 pm »

A basic server & client with source.
http://rapidshare.com/files/280670516/ss12.zip.html

It is only to get something working, the code is a mess, stuff all over the place, buggy, etc.
Done with visual studio 2008 express, but it did compile under linux.

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 06:16:26 am »

I've done a bit of work on the game and I'm releasing the code to the public domain. http://rapidshare.com/files/288109138/SS12.zip.html

I hope it's not a problem that I built it myself instead of using monkey's code. To compile it, you'll need libtcod (http://doryen.eptalys.net/libtcod/) and, if you're using windows, winsock for both the client and the server. The server also requires lua. I've tested compiling it on both MinGW and GNU C++ but not visual studio.

I've not provided any of the .dll or .so files but I have included windows and linux binaries. The executables with the extension .exe are for windows and the ones without it are for linux.

To run the game, first run the server with no arguments to load the default world and host on port 4000. Next, the client can be run and by default it will connect to the localhost on port 4000. To alter this, the arguments should be the ip address and then the target port. For example, if you're running it through command prompt and want to connect to the localhost on port 3999, navigate to the directory and type SS12_Client.exe 127.0.0.1 3999. In game, the only commands are the arrow keys for movement, 'o' for OOC chat, 't' for in character chat and 'n' to create a character.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:46:35 am by Xegeth »

Xegeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 03:51:51 pm »

The next version is now finished. http://rapidshare.com/files/300617729/SS12.zip.html

I've added more functions for the lua code, added inventory, FOV and mouse support, and improved the interface for connecting to the server. The controls are the same as before but you can now pick up an object by pressing 'p' and drop it by clicking on it.

If anyone does try this, feedback would be appreciated.
Pages: 1 [2]