Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon - Remember, you're still waiting...  (Read 47744 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Toady One has posted the status report for October.  $1759.27 is the least amount of donations since February.  Now, maybe it's the scary recession, maybe it's the holidays coming up, but at the risk of sounding snide, I think everyone who's followed Dwarf Fortress' development for a while can see the 800 pound Pileated gibbon in the room.

Okay I'll be snide.  The most recent edition of Dwarf Fortress dates to September of last year.  Scintillating and hilarious reports of the titanic new edition's development have made a lot of people really eager to play it, but the downside is that they've made a lot of people really eager to play it, and they can't yet.  And of late those descriptions are getting fewer, even as the first ever official release prediction keeps sliding further down the calendar.

Therefore, I'm proposing that any fan who's still devoted and capable send Toady a only slightly passive-aggressive reminder of who his game is for, by hitting him where it counts, the pocket book.  Oh no, not by withholding money as apparently some (very conceited) people are want to do.  Rather, by flooding Tarn's bank account with so much money he won't be able to think about anything but Dwarf Fortress.  That means it's time for another Donatathon.

The following people want a new and better Dwarf Fortress, and have sent Toady One money in good hope.

Total so far is $2810 sent altogether in expectation.  (Although Paypal has eaten a little of that.)

UPDATE: To save Toady One and Three Toe a little more time (in theory) and entice more donations in their style, I'm gathering a pool of artists, or at least people willing to make doodles, to make little reward drawings for people who donate some money.  There's no required amount, but don't expect anyone to take up your request if you put down five bucks.  So if you want a (simple) drawing by somebody (namely me, Pandarsenic, Vester, ahrbee, Org, kinseti, and Solifuge so far), donate and ask.  Also, anyone who wants to draw stuff is welcome to help out too.

INFORMATION: For completeness, you can go to this page to send money to the Bay 12 PayPal account.  Or if you prefer, you can send him checks or money orders directly, at the address listed farther down the page.

So, besides a new version, what're ya waitin' for?  Christmas?  Donate already!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:37:10 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Wait Any Longer Donatathon
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 09:57:36 am »

Good on you for making this thread. I was actually planning on doing something similar and then I saw yours!

I don't really have a decent job right now, but I just sent off US$30. I'll be on the hunt starting this week though, so if I find one I'll send some more for sure.

Guys, we all know Toady hasn't exactly been breaking even with this project. He has been relying on savings made while working as a maths prof to cover the gap between donations and expenses. In the long run we can only pray that through improved gameplay + word of mouth the number of donating DF fans out there will increase much more, so we can all quite happily sustain him while only giving a small bit each now and then. In the short term, however, we gotta pull together and help Toady out as much as we can.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 10:05:32 am »

I remember in the last thread like this Toady's address was posted for people who can't donate online (ie Me). I'll see if I can find it.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 10:16:32 am »

When I get money again I'll donate :)
I'm pretty sure I donated $20 last month, or the one before it..

Poor Tarn :(
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:19:19 am »

I have been inspired by this topic, and have domated $35.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 11:33:26 am »

Donated $25, but that will probably be my last donation until the next version get out... Dev notes are getting rarer and rarer (last "real" news is 13 days old), even the status report isn't very chatty "Thanks to those that helped out in October!", "Thanks for helping out last month!"... Well, of course there's all the dwarf talks thingies that partially replaced it, but still, it's starting to be long.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 12:53:14 pm »

Donated $25, but that will probably be my last donation until the next version get out... Dev notes are getting rarer and rarer (last "real" news is 13 days old), even the status report isn't very chatty "Thanks to those that helped out in October!", "Thanks for helping out last month!"... Well, of course there's all the dwarf talks thingies that partially replaced it, but still, it's starting to be long.

The recent rarity of notes is most likely due to work on HFS and spoiler-worthy stuff.

I am a starving college student, so I myself could probably use donations. I regret that I don't have much to spare, though...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 01:02:21 pm »

Next time I drop by the bank and put in some money, I'll be sure to donate 20 bucks or so
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 03:22:43 pm »

I remember promising a donation of $50 when the next version would be released. That was over a year ago, haha. Time flies! I still plan on keeping that promise.

Anyways, there's a reason October was the lowest, and it's definitely not just because of how long this version has taken. Dev Notes were sparse. Very little seemed to actually get done. We learned that even delaying things wouldn't guarantee a version out before the end of the year. "Morale" is low, no doubt, and I think more than a few people are worried Toady is losing the project.

I do hope something comes from this topic. good luck, gents!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 03:28:00 pm »

To save Toady One and Three Toe a little more time (in theory) and entice more donations in their style, I'm gathering a pool of artists, or at least people willing to make doodles, to make little reward drawings for people who donate some money.  Let's say $30 (or the equivalent).  So if you want a drawing by me or somebody, donate $30+ and ask.  Also, anyone who wants to draw stuff is welcome to help out too.

I think part of the draw of the rewards was the source rather then the content.

Like a signature.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 03:30:36 pm »

To save Toady One and Three Toe a little more time (in theory) and entice more donations in their style, I'm gathering a pool of artists, or at least people willing to make doodles, to make little reward drawings for people who donate some money.  Let's say $30 (or the equivalent).  So if you want a drawing by me or somebody, donate $30+ and ask.  Also, anyone who wants to draw stuff is welcome to help out too.

I think part of the draw of the rewards was the source rather then the content.

Like a signature.

Yeah, but it seemed cheap not to do something special.  Can't be a bad thing right?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06:46 pm »

Being that I missed last month, I might as well put $50 up for this.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 05:59:24 pm »

Donated 45$ , makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, with ... contributing to the good cause and whatnot  :D .

Fun fact: I was about to donate just 30$ (tight student budget is TIGHT) but remembered that the USD is our Euro's bitch and thus gave 31€ = 45$. I swear this happens every god-damned time I want to donate, Paypal displays everything in $ and fools me with it.  :P

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 10:11:37 pm »

My money's been going to food more of late, but I'll see if I can find something.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 10:18:15 pm »

My money is for food and university books, but I'll do pictures for donators. If I can scrape together a donation, I will, but I'll probably stick to artistic contributions. :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23