Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Science Discussion and Experimenting  (Read 1329 times)

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Science Discussion and Experimenting
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:02:25 pm »

So, as I'm lying in bed last night about to try to get some sleep a few questions about general dwarven science pop into my mind (I say general because just about every branch of dwarven science had one unanswered question that I can't find results for). Therefore I plan to spend the rest of this week at least trying to answer these questions.

A)more on magma in general, so little seems to be known about this all-appraised blood of the mountain.(below are definite tests)
   1)do pumps speed its flow?(powered mechanically)
   2)do stone components have to be magma proof?(ie: can i use a fully andesite pump, or am i forced to gather bauxite?)

B)personality traits. (ie: Urist Mcdwarf is hard to discourage) In the given example, is he less likely to succumb to melancholy if he fails to build an artifact glass chair on a sandless map?

more as I remember my questions. feel free to answer the ones given or submit your own.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Science Discussion and Experimenting
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:12:09 pm »

I think it can be not magma safe, so long as it's fire safe (IE NOT wood :P) so long as it's not immersed in magma.

And yes, pumps add pressure to magma in the same way as water, I think there is something in the wiki about it.

Edit: Missed one

I don't beleive personality traits effect anything other then job preference right now (Disregarding the Needs booze / Likes working outdoors / grumbles only mildly)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:13:41 pm by clc02 »
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Science Discussion and Experimenting
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:32:47 am »

...*checks wiki*

hmmm :-\ that wasn't there last time I checked (referring to "A)")

however the wiki says they only affect social skills("B)")

okay....my questions answered if anyone else has a question about anything in regards to dwarven science post it here (although most questions may already be answered) as I'm looking for ways to pass some free time.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.