Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dirty little secrets  (Read 1088 times)

DWeird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dirty little secrets
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:02:30 am »

Lets say, purely for the purposes of speculation, that someone wanted to play elves in fortress mode.

What would this highly speculative person need to do to make this happen?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:22:18 pm by DWeird »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Dirty little secrets
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 09:37:42 am »

Entity_default.txt on raw/objects - > Dwarf part of it - > Take away the CIV_CONTROLLABLE tag from 'em(brackets too) and place it on the elves. I recall that INDIV_CONTROLLABLE thing is adventuring related, so if you want elf adventurers, remove that from dorfs as well and place it on the elves.

And an off-note, you wouldn't happen to be the DWeird from AEF. The mod, admin, whatever again, or is this case of two people using the same obscure nick again.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 09:39:28 am »

Lets say, purely for the purposes of speculation, that someone wanted to play elves in fortress mode.

What would this highly speculative person would need to do to make this happen?

Some serious tweaking of the RAWS would be required if you wanted your elves to act like elves instead of dwarves (IE: Getting rid of the woodcutter profession [is this possible?])
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 10:00:11 am »

I'm pretty sure it's possible. It's just removing a job. The thing is though that the migrants and their professions are hard-coded. Even if you have removed a labour from the jobs, a migrant with that job might still arrive and be able to do the job. The thing is though that without an utility, you wouldn't be able to remove the job because it's not listed.

Do ethic issues influence the game that much though? Like, would elves get bad thoughts or crime mentions if they would just chop down a tree?

DWeird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 10:26:36 am »

Will elves use bows instead of crossbows, though? Can I even make bows? Everything else I can just do as a self-imposed challenge.

As for your question - yes, me and that other guy are the same guy.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:32:14 am »

Crossbows are hard-coded; I don't think the player can command his creatures to use weapons that fire arrows. I think the solution is to allow bows to fire bolts, or arrows that count as bolts, but I'm not sure - for my non-dwarf race I just stuck to crossbows.

In addition to tweaking the elf entry, you also need to tweak the dwarf entity, for example by adding progress triggers so they trade with you (just copy the human ones or something). I don't there's anything more than that you need to do but I could be wrong.

Also, quite a few of the speech texts will continue to reference dwarves. I think some can be changed but some are hardcoded.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 10:47:42 am »

The thing is though that the migrants and their professions are hard-coded. Even if you have removed a labour from the jobs, a migrant with that job might still arrive and be able to do the job. The thing is though that without an utility, you wouldn't be able to remove the job because it's not listed.
Do you mean the list of permitted jobs in the ENTITY file? Elves already are limited to Bowyer, Weaver, and a few others. If immigrant woodcutters show up like you say, I wonder what they bring for an axe, since they can't wield them, and they can't be made out of wood anyway.

Speaking of which, if you want the full Elvish Experience, you're going to need lots of wood to recreate the mound of junk they make out of their sacred trees. I guess you could make a farmable plant like "Cultivated Oak" or similar and then make a smelter reaction to smelt it into wood (and seeds I guess). You could even give the reaction a fancy elvish ritual name

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 11:09:18 am »

All the jobs there are in the game are good-for-migrants as the game is concerned. So yeah. Woodcutters would still arrive with elves, but if there's not a single axe listed for 'em in the entity files, they wouldn't have a tool to cut down trees with, making them peasants.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:50:34 am »

I guess you could say your elf settlement was a penal colony, and all of the woodcutters, hunters, leatherworkers and so on were convicts.

Sorry. I meant a RE-EDUCATION CENTRE of course.

DWeird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:36 pm »

Smelter reaction? Do elves even have smelters?

Massive loss of life is not a problem for me, so I'll just have them sleep on the ground until my elf-buddies bring me some wood. Or I'll just have them sing to a tree or something.

And how do I change bows to fire bolts?

DWeird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 02:06:35 pm »

Speaking of which, if you want the full Elvish Experience, you're going to need lots of wood to recreate the mound of junk they make out of their sacred trees.

Apparently, that's not true at all.

The true elvish experience is mostly about elves standing around and maybe picking berries or something. I can't build a single workshop to start doing anything beyond that. :D

I think I may have to slot in a couple of inordinary professions.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 02:31:20 pm »

Just wait. In a couple of months those elves are going be trying to gnaw down trees with their teeth.  Not that it'll do them any good. Since carpentry isn't a permitted job, so all your elves can do with it is stack it up somewhere. And then go pick berries. In the rain. For the rest of eternity.
I don't think I've ever heard of a better way to make elves suffer. Truly, you are Armok's messenger!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:52:13 pm »

The "new version" everybody is praying at will allow you to make custom workshop. So, it could be a 3x3 "great tree" which provides free logs with some "priest of leaves" custom profession.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository