Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Suggestion for new plant

(1/3) > >>

Zereth:
"Cave Bamboo", which would act much like normal bamboo, being fast-growing, and useful as a fuel or construction material, but less so than tree or tower-cap wood. It should probably also grow as a weed and spread relatively quickly, blocking movement of large creatures (but not vermin or water) when it gets dense enough. Possibly also farmable, but it'd take the harvest of more than one dense square of cave bamboo to do the work of one square of cut harvested tree.

qalnor:
Interesting idea. My only problem with it is that it would tend to walk a line between being too useful and being a massive nuisance.As a massive nuisance, I thoroughly approve.I don't think it should be remotely easily useful, though, because unless the burden were massive, a static flow of wood can always be balanced as a positive compared to a non-stacic, inconsistent and nuisance ridden flow of wood from the outdoors (or the non-static, inconsistence and nuisance ridden alternative of growing an indoor forest).I do like the idea of some sort of obstructive cave-weeds, though, very much and if it had a marginal use apart from being annoying, all the better.

lumin:
I'm really looking forward to this next release with these plants and dyes.  How is it going to work?  Are we going to just pick up a plant and 'I'interact with it to extract the dyes?  Are we going to see plants used for poisons in this release?  Very cool!

20,000leeks:
As per another post in this forum, would it not be interesting to have randomly generated plants? Of course, I'm not talking about a huge range of variables here - no moblie carniverous hyperintelligent plants or anything like that.Maybe have a 'base' set of plants for essential functions, such as construction, basic foodstuffs, dyes, etc, much like the game currently handles animals - modifiable via text fiels if anyone wants to.However, there could also be randomly generated plants in each world with specific properties such as climate, proliferation, and what it can be used for. The latter, of course, would have to be discovered through experimentation - the dwarves try grinding it and eating it only to discover that it makes them seriously ill, or your adventurer mashes it into a paste and applies it to a broken limb and takes the sting off. And so forth....the experimentation facet of it would be a bitch to implement, though.

Maximus:
Tower-caps are already somewhat like this proposed plant, as they grow to maturity in 2 years, as compared to 3 years for "outside" trees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version