Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 133822 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1530 on: November 25, 2013, 01:44:06 pm »

2 - Quick-Learner (all point gains count for double)

-All- point gains?  So if I point share to someone who has Quick learner, they are 'gaining' those points, which means they double those points, right?

Hehe, now this is probably a break if so.  Whole Scum team takes point share and quick learner, they trade the points between themselves, doubling each time it's traded.  Would be horrid if someone does a Scan of the right person at the right time, but otherwise might be too neat?

I really want to see a Prolific Santa scum-team in action now.

And I see Santa's dropped by 1 in price, and an equally priced 'prolific' has been added in.  So I guess I'm totally wrong about Scummas being a breaking strategy, looks like it's being invited to be used!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: November 25, 2013, 05:25:23 pm »

Slightly updated version of
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 25, 2013, 05:57:51 pm »

Persus, what happens to the surviving Good/Ugly when/if one of them dies in play?

I know the surviving other has 'meaning' to someone because the Bad needs them both dead (so they cannot be auto killed or something just because their wincon became impossible to fill - that would autowin the Bad) but that solo remaining Good/Ugly is a player with no possible way to achieve their wincon.

Would you have them defaulting to becoming a Confederate player then, able to chase the normal Town wincon?

Also, does the Bad actually have to -kill- the Good and the Ugly in order to win, or just have them die, possibly because of the lynch or the Union nightkill?  If the Bad does lose if someone else kills one of these other players, does he leave play or remain in the game, and if he stays, does he default to the Union side and Union Wincon?

I see pros and cons for that - Union would probably be -perfectly- happy to gain an SK.  Town would have more incentive to keep the Good and the Ugly alive, at least until they could find the Bad and kill him (keeping him from giving the Union his kills).

If so, Town has incentive to keep Good and Ugly alive, but not much power to find them or protect them...  Would it make sense to possibly have Town players start with knowledge of who Good and Ugly are (but maybe not which one is good, which one is ugly).  They wouldn't know who any other Town was, and they don't want to reveal Good or Ugly (that turns the coming night into a race between Bad and Union to kill the outed player, Union gaining an unidentified SK if they win - Town won't want to reveal that information at all).

If instead you remove the Bad if it becomes impossible for the Bad to win (someone else kills Good or Ugly if you're restricting it that closely) or after the Bad has won, then it actually becomes tempting for Town to want to lynch the Bad or Good or Ugly, to get closer to removing a NK from play.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 25, 2013, 07:17:48 pm »

Persus, what happens to the surviving Good/Ugly when/if one of them dies in play?
The surviving player would leave with some flavor about how he can't find the gold (winning).

Also, does the Bad actually have to -kill- the Good and the Ugly in order to win, or just have them die, possibly because of the lynch or the Union nightkill?
No, the bad doesn't actually have to kill the other two. He just wants them dead so he can get the gold before them. But the three third parties are third parties not scum, they just show up as Town or Scum because in the film the good and the ugly both wear confederate uniforms and get captured by the Union, an aspect I thought would be interesting to include, and the Bad joined the union army, so I thought I'd do the same thing with him. Maybe I should let the Bad just show up as the Bad.

If instead you remove the Bad if it becomes impossible for the Bad to win (someone else kills Good or Ugly if you're restricting it that closely) or after the Bad has won, then it actually becomes tempting for Town to want to lynch the Bad or Good or Ugly, to get closer to removing a NK from play.
The bad would likely leave when he wins (with flavor about how he got the gold he was looking for).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:23:00 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 26, 2013, 08:49:44 am »

That makes the game very swingy- if the Good dies or is lynched (which isn't that hard), then the Bad leaves victorious and the Ugly wins losing.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 26, 2013, 04:24:24 pm »

That makes the game very swingy- if the Good dies or is lynched (which isn't that hard), then the Bad leaves victorious and the Ugly wins losing.
swingy? what does that mean? And what does wins losing mean?
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 26, 2013, 10:39:45 pm »

Swingy as in unpredictable game effects.

That should read "leaves losing."  Derp.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 26, 2013, 10:48:43 pm »

So I was thinking an alternative would be the good and the ugly need to keep each other alive until N2, and then they win or lose independently. They still need to kill the bad, and the bad still needs to kill them both to win though.

Another possibility is that when the Ugly gets lynched, he gets saved by the good, revealing the Ugly's identity in the process (another movie reference).
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: December 09, 2013, 02:47:25 pm »

Alternatively, each player could be given the ability to extend the game by 24 hours once, encouraging players to save their extend for when they really need it.

I'm about to put my JK9++ game into signups, and my original idea was to run these extension rules.

But is it a good idea to do this just as final/holiday season is starting up?  I'm open to opinions.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: December 09, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »

The big question is whether you think the game'd be done before Christmas and New Year.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: December 09, 2013, 05:06:57 pm »

I'm not doing anything this week because of finals so.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: December 09, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »

The big question is whether you think the game'd be done before Christmas and New Year.

...Probably not, no.  And Dec 21-Dec 25 I'd have count as one giant weekend anyway.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: December 13, 2013, 03:58:58 pm »

So...one of my new moderator powers is the ability to edit any post. Seems to me like this could make for some interesting possibilities for a Bastard game.

I don't have any concrete ideas on what I could do that would be both fun and interesting, though.

What do you guys think?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: December 13, 2013, 04:04:25 pm »

I think you should test to see if it marks you as editing it.  For example, you should try to sign your name below the line, here.

Mephansteras

Does me re-editing it change whose name it is?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:36:14 pm by Toaster »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: December 13, 2013, 04:07:16 pm »

Yup, marks it. So people would know I modified a line, but not necessarily what I did.

Limits things a little, but there should still be some potential there.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 108