Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #4: Feedback  (Read 37622 times)

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #4: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2009, 08:10:08 am »

Also, I still say Shadow of the Colossus is the only game in which there was a horse that did not behave like a moped. ;)

Mount & Blade has good horses.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 10:57:49 am »

҉ I don't know where I got this repu͡҉҉l̔̕̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉tation of being creep̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̒̓̔̚̕̚ ̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̕̚̕̚ G̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̚ ̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔ ̕̚̕̚ ̔̕̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉҉ Ơ̵̡̢̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̚ i can see forever҉ ҉҉̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑ ̒̓y.

r̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔ ̕̚̕̚ ̔̕̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̒̓̔̚̕̚ ̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̕̚̕̚ ̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̚ ̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔ ̕̚̕̚ ̔̕̚̕̚҉ZALGƠ̡̢̡̢̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐

Okay, that went from creepy to silly.   :D
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2009, 12:59:15 pm »

Awesome. I really want that new soothing music in the game. It really suits the atmosphere.

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2009, 02:06:07 pm »

Mount & Blade has good horses.

Agreed, though M&B horses have a lot of issues with stopping.  They come to an instantaneous stop on even an oblique collision, and you have to accelerate from zero to get going again, which really cuts down the feeling of momentum and excitement.  One of my least favorite aspects of one of my favorite games.  Just a minor detraction, though.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2009, 03:57:31 pm »

I look forward to being able to commission artisans (and presumably engravers) to make specific works of art, mainly because then I can decorate my trapped-up invader passages with images of what happens to those who challenged my might.  "Hey, I found a side entrance!  It's open and everything."  "Uh, Os... about those engravings on the wall..." "We ain't here to stare at an art gallery!  We got dwarves to..." *click* *Os glances at engravings*  "Uh oh..."
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2009, 05:04:32 pm »

I am surprised how many people had never heard of the civil war bug.

Damn kids these days! No respect for history!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2009, 06:12:15 pm »

I am surprised how many people had never heard of the civil war bug.

Damn kids these days! No respect for history!
It's not like there's a DF Bugs Hall of Fame...there really should be, though.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2009, 08:46:10 pm »

That was quite interesting! I'm interested in seeing the exact algorithms used during world-gen, to generate all the mountains and decide on where the lakes go. Not that I'm asking for the source code to be released, in part or in full. That would be rude. And probably break intellectual property laws or something. Not to mention get me banned from the forums. Or hunted down by an angry mob. With lignite-and-iron torches.

Just saying that I'm interested.

Good to hear that you survived the spandex party battle, Captaintastic.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 01:37:47 am »

It's not like there's a DF Bugs Hall of Fame...there really should be, though.

--> Wiki
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 03:41:32 pm »

That was quite interesting! I'm interested in seeing the exact algorithms used during world-gen, to generate all the mountains and decide on where the lakes go.

There were a few extra details about the worldgen process in this part of the Gamasutra interview (and the whole thing is interesting reading even though it's a year or two old).

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 03:44:03 am »

That was quite interesting! I'm interested in seeing the exact algorithms used during world-gen, to generate all the mountains and decide on where the lakes go.

There were a few extra details about the worldgen process in this part of the Gamasutra interview (and the whole thing is interesting reading even though it's a year or two old).

:o

He's not just limited to the forums, people... This is one strange beast we are dealing with here.

EDIT: Of course! Fractals! Why didn't I think of that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:29:17 am by James.Denholm »
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Boas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2009, 09:01:15 pm »

Elves should have their eye colors named after flowers and other hippie crap, like dwarves' are named after metals and gems.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2009, 09:02:28 pm »

Here we have the pre-hyperlink transcript.  It was a longer show, but the links should get put in at some point if you rely on them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ixoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2009, 10:30:59 pm »

҉ I don't know where I got this repu͡҉҉l̔̕̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉tation of being creep̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̒̓̔̚̕̚ ̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̕̚̕̚ G̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̚ ̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔ ̕̚̕̚ ̔̕̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉҉ Ơ̵̡̢̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̚ i can see forever҉ ҉҉̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑ ̒̓y.

r̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔ ̕̚̕̚ ̔̕̚̕̚҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̿̿̿̕̚̕̚͡ ͡҉҉ ̵̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎̏̿̿̿̒̓̔̚̕̚ ̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̕̚̕̚ ̡̢̛̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̚ ̡̢̡̢̛̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔ ̕̚̕̚ ̔̕̚̕̚҉ZALGƠ̡̢̡̢̛̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠̊̋̌̍̎̏̐̑̒̓̔̊̋̌̍̎̏̐

I disagree, I found it creepy as hell, those weird characters do weird things on my screen, but I'm easily creeped.
I don't know where Dasleah Got the Creepy reputation from though, I remember him from when I joined these forums forever ago always poppin' up in threads saying random sillyness that was somehow relevant.

I think it's the avatar.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 11:54:54 am »

I disagree, I found it creepy as hell, those weird characters do weird things on my screen, but I'm easily creeped.
I don't know where Dasleah Got the Creepy reputation from though, I remember him from when I joined these forums forever ago always poppin' up in threads saying random sillyness that was somehow relevant.

I think it's the avatar.
Totally the avatar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5