Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Stone Beds

(1/1)

Ginseng:
This has probably been suggested countless times before, but just in case.I think we need stone beds, I mean the dwarves are willing to sleep on wooden planks and seem to have a nice sleep.Or another idea is making it so you need to craft silk blankets to sleep on, or even combining stone beds with blankets for extra comfort?

Cosmonot:
The real reason beds use wood is because wood is a more valuable resource than stone, especially in lightly or non-forested areas. Allowing the creation of stone beds, buckets, etc. would largely remove the need to control your use of wood.

Mechanoid:
Stone is also very uncomfortable. The only time stone beds are ever produced is when the bed in question was an artifact created by a dwarf in a fey mood. (So expertly crafted, it's comfortable)[ November 08, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Angela Christine:
Wood is usually more comfortable than stone.  You can test this if you have access to a wooden futon frame, a spring-less wooden box-spring, or a long wooden coffee table, go ahead, stretch out on it.  Ok, now go outside and lie down on the concrete sidewalk.  Which is more comfortable?
 Wood has some flex to it it, stone does not.  Wood is also probably better than stone in the way it retains and distributes heat.  If your stone bed is cold when you get in, it is going to stay cold for a long time.  A wooden or fabric bed will stay cold for a few minutes, and will soon be warmed by your body heat.A cloth or plant fiber bed roll or mat would make more sense than a stone bed.  Olde tyme mattresses were often basically a cloth bag full of straw, something well within the technology of our dwarfs.  A boxy stone platform holding a mat would be even better, it would keep you up off the floor away from drafts and vermin.

Pesty13480:
I don't know if I agree with that. I rather prefer sleeping on a hard surface over an actual bed, and made due quite happily with a sheet thrown over the concrete floor for years. In fact, I slept much better on that floor than I do in my bed right now.That being said, we should keep it limited to only wooden beds because apart from charcoal, there would really be no reason to bother with wood at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version