Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I am an out-of-date poll.

I am an unclickable option.
I am also that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 3: PBEM Game  (Read 50737 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3: PBEM Game. Signups and Voting on Age
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 01:11:40 pm »

Cthulhu - it occurs to me that it might be good to ask if you've played LE Ermor or R'lyeh since upgrading past 3.0. Their domain effects became a lot... harsher... in later patches, so you might wanna play a practice game or two to get used to the changes.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 01:26:17 pm »

I have.  Not multiplayer, but I have.  I decided I don't really like R'lyeh much, but Ermor is still great.

By harsher, do you mean not as good, or better, to the point of being unfair?
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 01:29:26 pm »

Is it too late to throw my hat in the ring? I love this game. I've never played multilayer though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 01:31:55 pm »

It's not too late.  What nations would you prefer?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:34:08 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »

I think I'd like to try Hinnom (or their later age variants), I haven't played around with them much yet.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 01:55:41 pm »

By harsher, I mean the population killing effect was increased fivefold or so. It doesn't really have much of an effect on Ermor (well, okay, yes, it does), but it was a massive nerf for R'lyeh because of their need for bought expensive mages. It used to be that Grow 3 was enough to protect your tax base from natural contraction. Now? Not so much...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2009, 02:00:35 pm »

Oh.  I didn't notice much of a change, but I don't think I did much playing before 3.0 either.

And Wiles, it's Hinnom, Ashdod, and Gath right?

General comment on the game:  I love how over the top a lot of the endgame stuff is.  A lot of games have ultimate weapons, but fear of unbalancing prevents it from really feeling ultimate (Yes, I'm talking to you, Civ 4 Nukes).

Dominions 3, though, seems to have recognized that when six or seven deities with huge nations and everything to lose clash, they tend to destroy everything.  Astral Corruption, Utterdark, Second Sun, all of this is the kind of stuff they send you out to prevent in RPGs.  I keep expecting Link to burst into the room in the middle of a ritual and try to fight me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 02:07:47 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2009, 02:03:17 pm »

And Wiles, it's Hinnom, Ashdod, and Gath right?

Yes, that's them!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2009, 02:12:42 pm »

The popkill changes actually were well after 3.0 - Ermor's got upped in 3.14, and R'lyeh's in 3.21.

Even with a more destructive domain, LA R'lyeh is still fun for the chance to have 10 or 20 prophets running around - albeit most just utterly insane and oft-useless cultists, but who's counting?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2009, 02:38:21 pm »

Astral Corruption, Utterdark, Second Sun, all of this is the kind of stuff they send you out to prevent in RPGs.  I keep expecting Link to burst into the room in the middle of a ritual and try to fight me.

Build either the holy grail or Tartarian chains artifact.  Great fun being hunted down by all manner of beasties.

Also...  Am I the only person who just adores the Vaetti?  I was seriously bummed when I found out that you can't produce them in the Dominions 1 demo.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2009, 02:44:08 pm »

Awww fuck, I'd totally join but I don't have D3 anymore, even though I rather suck on the late age. Early age fav is abysia, middle is ashdod, and late is C'tis.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »

Also...  Am I the only person who just adores the Vaetti?  I was seriously bummed when I found out that you can't produce them in the Dominions 1 demo.

Nope... I'm right there with you. They're... so... cute! Squeee!

Also, on the subject of high-power enchantments, the mid-level BoT mustn't be forgotten. That's just... nasty.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:18:30 pm by E. Albright »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 03:21:58 pm »

Yeah, that was another one, especially since it's so low level, but with only 1-5 years per turn, I kind of feel like people would be able to gang up on you and kill you before it ran its course, especially if they were a long-lived race.

Their mages would be boned, though.

It looks like early age is winning.  If Late Age pulls through, I'm wondering about diplomacy.  Part of me recognizes that diplomacy is integral to the game, but another part of me thinks "SILENCE THE INCESSANT BEATING OF THEIR INFERNAL HEARTS" and wants to play a Necron-esque Ermor that kills indiscriminately and never negotiates.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 04:28:12 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 04:51:35 pm »

Multiplayer strategies of whatever kind are always about diplomacy. If you want to play a big bad, you must be strong enough to stand up to all the other players combined, otherwise it's just a suicide.

There's five votes now, three to one for early age, there's no way another three players would join to tip the balance, so let's just settle for early era and start the damn thing. Five players is enough for me.

As far as I understand the workings of this particular pbem system, we need to create a pretender and send the file to whomever is hosting. That'd be you, Cthulhu, right? We'll need your email address then.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 04:52:28 pm »

Let's use Llamaserver for it.

I agree that we should get it going.  Are we agreed on Urraparand?

Also, what kind of settings and stuff do you guys want?  Just default?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:00:10 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27