Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

I am an out-of-date poll.

I am an unclickable option.
I am also that.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27

Author Topic: Dominions 3: PBEM Game  (Read 51205 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3: PBEM Game. Signups and Voting on Age
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2009, 05:17:52 pm »

One thing I never quite realized, is why none of the nations have siege engines...

I mean, think about it.  Some size 4-6 unit with lifeless and possibly mindless qualities, that provides a bonus during sieges.  And now you can even use it to hurl boulders at people instead of just walls!

Or maybe I just want someone to mod in artillery cannons...  Not to mention one o' them Hoburg nations.  Hoburgs rank right up there with Vaetti on my list of adored creatures.  In Dominions 1, I'd fool around sometimes and use scads of resources to gift Hoburg militia (the stealthy ones with sticks) with reason and then empower them with minor spellcasting capabilities, thus making it possible to field complete troops of Hoburgs, mages and all.

Man, a full-out Hoburg vs Vaetti war would be utterly awesome...  I wonder why there aren't more tiny-sized races runnin' about.  An army of squares stacked with six units each is a sight to behold.

Is anyone going to pick Agartha?  Although they're not exactly the greatest of the bunch, I find something oddly compelling about them...  And I think someone likened the dwarves of DF to them at one point or another.

Heck, they can worship a giant Olm, so why not?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2009, 05:36:54 pm »

Until Agartha gets a warren of underground provinces you have to fight through to beat them, they're just not cavey enough for me. 

Speaking of which, if done right, a Gears of War RTS would rule.

Imagine it:  Two maps, one underground and one above ground.  The COG or whatever builds theirs on the surface and the Locust below.  They use Assault Derricks and those big things to transfer between them.  It would be awesome, but you'd probably have to be very generous with start points or the enemy would be emerging/dropping down right on top of you five minutes into the game.
Shoes...

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2009, 05:42:05 pm »

One thing I never quite realized, is why none of the nations have siege engines...
I've always just assumed that they built them onsite. I suppose that could be a bit problematic if one were sieging a castle in a desert or wasteland.

EDIT: Urraparand is fine, and I don't remember enough about the settings to care. Default is ok with me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 05:46:25 pm by Wiles »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 05:51:49 pm »

Imagine it:  Two maps, one underground and one above ground.  The COG or whatever builds theirs on the surface and the Locust below.  They use Assault Derricks and those big things to transfer between them.  It would be awesome, but you'd probably have to be very generous with start points or the enemy would be emerging/dropping down right on top of you five minutes into the game.

I actually played a demo to an RTS that featured an underground and an overground, and you could transfer units between the two through the use of pre-placed caves.  Don't know if there was any other method of getting them down there though...

A very interesting idea, yes.  Unfortunately, the rest of the game was just a generic high fantasy bleh-match with dull combat mechanics.  Main thing I remember now was that it had goblins with boomerangs.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 05:56:26 pm »

Deffault settings a-ok.  Taking up Special Site frequency a click or two (50 or 55) is always good fun.  Going EA so looks like I am Kailasa.  Prepare to get monkey-whipped.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2009, 06:13:18 pm »

Cthulhu: The map recommends 150% cash, so we should probably at least do that.

Kagus: my instinct was to say that bakemono were as small as those two (they look about vaetti-sized) but upon checking they're size 2. There's always markatas, I suppose.

I remember back shortly after DomII was released the developers released a hoburg mod that, in their words, "transforms the proud people of the iron kingdom of Ulm into a people of annoying farmers"...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2009, 06:22:43 pm »

Alright, the game's up.  It's right here.  I don't know how you join, though.  I've got enough slots for everyone, and I'll send Muz and Cheeetar PMs to make sure they're still in.
Shoes...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2009, 06:23:55 pm »

Oh, I'm still in.
In before you send me a PM.

Edit: So, the idea is to start up Dominions 3, go to the multiplayer area and connect to llamaserver or something? Or, if only the host can add new gods, I'd prefer to be Vanheim with Father of Winters.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:27:13 pm by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:27 pm »

JOINING AND RELATED INFORMATION IN THE OP

CAPS DOES NOT DENOTE EXASPERATION WITH SUCH QUESTIONS

SIMPLY MAKING IT NOTICEABLE
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:38:44 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 3: PBEM Game. Starting Soon, CHOOSE YOUR PRETENDER
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2009, 06:31:07 pm »

So if Muz is still in, we're 8? Or is Kagus not playing?

edit: Oops, missed the "if only I had the damned thing" line in their first reply. Nevermind, we're 7, then...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:36:01 pm by E. Albright »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2009, 07:04:21 pm »

Argh, this is bad. I'm up to my 4th pretender revision, all with radically different strategies behind them. I am SO indecisive...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2009, 07:05:32 pm »

Also, on RP.

Do you guys want to RP or not?  If we do, will it be done in the forum, or is there some kind of ingame message system for RP?

And yeah, I was having trouble deciding that too.  I felt like I had less points than I normally do, even though I almost never pick 10-magic path guys.
Shoes...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2009, 07:21:17 pm »

I'll vote yes on RP, but I'm a viking sort of race so expect me to drink blood from skulls and stuff.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2009, 07:24:01 pm »

Well I'm an Aztec sort of race to expect me to coat the walls of my temple in blood, and then use it to summon demons and make the sky rain frogs.
Shoes...

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2009, 08:14:05 pm »

Oh, I'm still in.
In before you send me a PM.

Edit: So, the idea is to start up Dominions 3, go to the multiplayer area and connect to llamaserver or something? Or, if only the host can add new gods, I'd prefer to be Vanheim with Father of Winters.

Read The Llamaserver FAQ.  Dom3 doesn't really have an interface for PBEM so you'll be doing some of the legwork.  Make sure all the emails you send to llamaserver have the game name as the subject.  Whats the game name Cthulhu?

Looks like it is named Bay12Games.

Designing your pretender is the first step, like Llama says use the Create a Pretender God interface on the Dom3 Game Tools menu to make an Early Age god for the nation you want to play.  No picking Kailasa, only one of each nation per game so pick a nation no one else has claimed yet.  No password either.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27