Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Random rainbow blood?  (Read 3224 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Random rainbow blood?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 01:24:38 pm »

The basic problem is that blood isn't a body part, it's an object that's generated when a creature is injured.  The tissue layers tags can change the color of a part of a creature's body, but since the blood isn't actually part of the [BODY] definition anywhere, you can't change its color.  The only way to do that is to create multiple different uniquely colored types of blood, each with their own material raw data, then create different castes of the creature, each with a different blood type.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:50 pm »

Do the castes actually need to have separate names?  That's just too cluttered and confusing.  Well, not confusing, but it's just not what I'm looking for.  Obviously, castes work and need to have different internal titles, yeah, but I don't think their blood color needs to be reflected in their listed names.

And I could easily be wrong on this, but don't the castes need gender tags?  Or won't the groundhogs all be neuter written like that?

I just gave them the different names for arena testing; it works fine if they're all named 'groundhog' or whatever.  The groundhogs were all neuter written like that, yes.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Asagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 02:49:45 pm »

Say if you made each blood color a different caste, Could you also make it so a specific color is the only person that can hold a nobles position?

Ex: Green blood has a pop ratio of 1, would you be able to make it so a green blood is the only one that is able to become a king/queen?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 03:00:46 pm »

If you're going for Homestuck-style trolls, then it's best to use castes anyway, seeing as their blood color defines their position in society.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 03:12:28 pm »

Some notes Toady put in the raws indicated you can restrict nobles with a [CREATURE_CLASS:SOMETHING] tag in the caste raws, and a [ALLOWED_CLASS:SOMETHING] or [REJECTED_CLASS:SOMETHING] in the noble raws. This doesnt actualy work in fortress mode though, I suspect it only does during worldgen.

This was done a few .31 versions back though, something might have changed since then.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »

Some notes Toady put in the raws indicated you can restrict nobles with a [CREATURE_CLASS:SOMETHING] tag in the caste raws, and a [ALLOWED_CLASS:SOMETHING] or [REJECTED_CLASS:SOMETHING] in the noble raws. This doesnt actualy work in fortress mode though, I suspect it only does during worldgen.

This was done a few .31 versions back though, something might have changed since then.

I'm not sure the restrictions work at all, seeing all the male elven princesses that pop up.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: 1 [2]