Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The DF Mac Utilities Thread  (Read 7376 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
The DF Mac Utilities Thread
« on: November 05, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »

Because, yes, some of us DF fans out there DO use Macs..

Basically after seeing thread upon thread of incredible new features for DF, that usually don't have a Mac version, I wish to create a database of any and all DF mods, patches, utilities and addons that ARE built for a mac. I hope for any other Mac users to help out in this regard that we can have an easy to use archive of any feature for DF that works on macs.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF Mac Utilities Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 04:01:49 pm »

Amen.
Mac Forman is pretty cool.
The great game of Warlocks!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:27:48 pm »

Hear hear! Unfortunately I don't know of any. Dwarf Therapist might be coming out for Mac sometime. Apparently it's very good.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:21:51 pm »

I use a mac.  This thread would be useful to me.

I haven't used Mac Foreman yet, but a search brought up this link:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27969.0

If the OP wants to put it in his post.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 10:22:22 am »

I use a mac.  This thread would be useful to me.

I haven't used Mac Foreman yet, but a search brought up this link:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27969.0

If the OP wants to put it in his post.

Mac Foreman doesn't work on the current version, i think it's dead.
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:53 am »

It is interesting that so many people develop exclusively for Windows(you'd think the freelance programmers would choose Linux).  A surprising number of the utilities are based on the Microsoft .NET framework, meaning porting them to Linux and Mac just plain isn't an option.  Of those that AREN'T based on .NET, most are still based on a Windows foundation.  That's probably anywhere from an hour to a few weeks to convert from Windows to Mac in and of itself.  Then you have to shift memory addresses, which I'm assuming are different between the Windows, Linux, and Mac versions of DF.  All in all, it's more work than you might think...

Given that my experience is in Java and my experience writing DF utilities is non-existent, I don't know that I can churn out much for you, but I'll keep it in mind...I just wanted to tell you what's really involved in this.  It's very possibly why you don't see more utilities for multiple ports or even multiple versions numbers of the same port.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:13:24 pm »

Dwarf Therapist was built in C++ with no system-dependent libs for exactly this purpose. It needs only 1 file to be ported to Mac. But I don't have the expertise to be doing Mach kernel hacks on OSX.

All it would take is for one Mac owner with some C++ skills to help me out, and everyone would get an OSX-native labor management tool.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 07:12:35 pm »

Dwarf Therapist was built in C++ with no system-dependent libs for exactly this purpose. It needs only 1 file to be ported to Mac. But I don't have the expertise to be doing Mach kernel hacks on OSX.

All it would take is for one Mac owner with some C++ skills to help me out, and everyone would get an OSX-native labor management tool.

I have a mac and an understanding of c++ it probably isn't enough but what needs to be done?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:07:54 pm by winner »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 07:20:21 pm »

I have a mac and an understanding of c++ it probably isn't enough but what needs to be done?

To start with we should contact the makers of some of the more widely used mods and ask if we can look at their source code to see, firstly, if its even possible to make Mac based adaptation.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:07:28 pm »

To start with we should contact the makers of some of the more widely used mods and ask if we can look at their source code to see, firstly, if its even possible to make Mac based adaptation.
I'm sorry for the ambiguity, I meant to be replying to chmod.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:09:34 pm by winner »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:43:47 am »

Well either easy I've been talking to a friend of mine who knows a little C++ says it won't be too hard to convert some mods to be Mac usable, we just need to get the help of the mod makers on bored.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 09:14:07 pm »

Spelling error... "board"

I could help out. I'm only just beginning on the C++ road, so it might need a once over by somebody else, but I could definitely give it a shot.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »

We'll take everyone we can at this point, Welcome aboard Matie!

ChokingVictim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 10:02:29 pm »

macfag here.  I don't have any programming skills but if you guys need emotional support well....

I for one would love to see more prepackaged tilepacks/mods for mac.  For some reason I suck at getting any of it to work.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 10:22:07 pm »

CV, it's not that difficult. Like DF, at first it seems crazy, nothing makes sense, but eventually it will be as natural as looking over your dwarves and thinking "There's a workshop, there's a stonemason... why are they digging there?!"
Pages: [1] 2