Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Shallow irrigation flooding

(1/1)

Angela Christine:
I think it would be better if floodgates caused light blue "shallow" floods inside the cave, as they do outside.  Currently irrigation mishaps are way more catastrophic than they need to be, and are very discouraging to new players.  The water shouldn't become infinite if it hits the river, but if that can't be fixed easily, then making that infinite water shallow would at least make it easier to contain the damage.  Dwarfs might not like slogging through waist high water (unhappy thoughts) but they could move around and try to get to a dry area -- something difficult now unless SCUBA dwarves are developed.  Even now there are often a few survivors and the faint hope of digging out and rebuilding around the flooded area, but chances are good that the remaining dwarves will starve or go crazy before they are able to consolidate in an area with food, water, and a dry place to sleep.  Without powerful pumps it should be very difficult to flood large areas of the mine right up to the ceiling, as long as there is some drainage there should be air pockets around.
This would slightly inconvenience those who like to enforce particularly strict immigration policies with flood rooms.  However, inconvenient dwarfs could still be dealt with by locking them up until the starve to death, sending them out hunting, smacking them with a drawbridge, or making magma flood rooms.

PNB:
The New Execution method."You have failed to follow orders. I assign you three whacks by the northern drawbridge."*Slam**Slam**Slam**Dwarf with mop grumbles as he cleans up the goo.*

Silveron:
Nah, just install a floodgate nearby to wash the room down.  :D

puke:
right.  then youre sending them in to clean up mud.

Lord Blue:
Taking away the fact that bad floodgate use will kill all of your dwarves is bad for DF. DF is meant to reward ingenuity and punish a lack of it with nothing short of pure death. Without that, it's just Sim City + Dwarves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version