Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 205022 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2009, 11:26:02 pm »

3 quick ones from me, and thanks in advance!

1. Is Friendly Fire on? I'm fairly certain it isn't, but i'm still a bit leery of having my crossbowdorfs fire into melee

2. How far does Line of Sight extend? Do trees and the like reduce/block it? I ask because I detected a goblin ambush from the other side of the map, and the only reason for it I can think of is because I've managed to deforest to the edge in that particular direction.

3. I also believe I've had a Zombie Wolf that was wandering around discover a goblin raid for me. Not entirely sure why though, my only thought being that since zombies are aggressive, their attack on the gob's made them stop sneaking and start fighting.

immolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2009, 11:27:48 pm »

Is there any easy way to effectively train your dwarves to become legendary swimmers? If so would this be a better way to train your dwarfs than the pump gym?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2009, 11:39:22 pm »

3 quick ones from me, and thanks in advance!

1. Is Friendly Fire on? I'm fairly certain it isn't, but i'm still a bit leery of having my crossbowdorfs fire into melee

2. How far does Line of Sight extend? Do trees and the like reduce/block it? I ask because I detected a goblin ambush from the other side of the map, and the only reason for it I can think of is because I've managed to deforest to the edge in that particular direction.

3. I also believe I've had a Zombie Wolf that was wandering around discover a goblin raid for me. Not entirely sure why though, my only thought being that since zombies are aggressive, their attack on the gob's made them stop sneaking and start fighting.

1. No. Dwarves can shoot bolts into a fray and it will only harm goblins. When a dwarf is tantrumming, though, friendly fire might be on, but that's really only a concern with reclaim parties.

2. Line of sight extends for about a twenty tile radius, and it's blocked by trees and such. Ambushing goblins, however, are basically invisible, and can't be spotted within a dwarf's line of sight. They are detected when they get within one or two tiles of another creature.

3. Wild animals detect goblin ambushes, too. It's basically whether any creature not from the goblin civ gets within one or two tiles.

Is there any easy way to effectively train your dwarves to become legendary swimmers? If so would this be a better way to train your dwarfs than the pump gym?

There's no practical advantage in fortress mode to train your dwarves to anything above regular swimmers. That said, there are lots of ways to train swimming, but I don't have any with me on hand. I've never bothered to train swimming, and instead elect to provide ways out of bodies of water so my dwarves don't drown. See what a wiki or a forum search turns up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2009, 03:18:15 am »

Caravans have stopped coming to my fortress...
A dwarven one got ripped apart by a few skeletons.
And an elven one left perfectly fine but are now not returning... (i need them to use as sacrifices for Armoks glorious temple! it has a pit that has gone un-used in the middle as well  :()

Also i havnt been attacked by gobbos 'n' that, when do they usually build a civilisation near you? (what i mean is show up on the menu when you press c)

p.s. HOW IN AMROKS NAME DO I MAKE MY FARMERS GROW DIMPLE CUPS!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:30:25 am by silhouette »
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2009, 12:38:09 pm »

You're probably in an area which is difficult, but not impossible, for the various civs to access. The mechanics of this are not well-understood, but it appears that great distances between you and a civ, difficult terrain (glaciers, deserts, and thin mountain passes, for example), and the like can delay caravans and invaders significantly and make their approach intermittent.

Civilizations will appear on the c screen only after they have actually come to your map. If there is a goblins civilization at all that is not totally blocked off from you, you will get thieves/ambushes/sieges eventually. However, again, it may be that the route to you is difficult, which would slow things.

To grow dimple cups, you need dimple cup spawn. You can embark with them, but they tend to quickly get used up initially to grow the first crop of dimple cups. You then must process the dimple cups to get more spawn; this can only be done by a miller at a millstone or quern. Dimple cups cannot be eaten (at all), cannot be processed into anything but dimple dye, and thus often are never used. They are in fact practically worthless if you don't have a cloth industry, though buying up large quantities of undyed cloth from traders and dying it can be a profitable enterprise in itself.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2009, 01:02:53 pm »

Are people sure that there's no such thing as friendly fire? Is it absolutely confirmed?

Recently, I charged an army of tentacle demons with an army of 70 dwarves, and had my hammer and axedwarves engage in hand to hand while the marksdwarves just fired into the mess. I got several messages that my axe dwarves had been shot to death, and later I noticed several axedwarves had arrows embedded in their arms and legs. This was before the inevitable tantrumming began of course.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2009, 03:05:47 pm »

This was with a reclaim, no?

I've seen tantrumming marksdwarves hit fellow dwarves. Any other time, there's no friendly fire.

Besides, when else would you see a tantrumming marksdwarf other than a reclaim party?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 27, 2009, 07:51:01 pm »

(insert text here)

1. That would explain things... damn mechanics... as in some places i can only get mule/horse traders and no wagon...  no path at the sides for the caravan either...

2. so they apear once they land on your map?

Also new questions...

How many trees do i have to chop down before elven adviser dude comes to complain about that?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2009, 08:48:41 pm »

2. so they apear once they land on your map?
Yep. I am unclear whether unrevealed ambush parties or thieves will cause the civ to show on the civ screen, but at the very least the instant you've seen a civ member they appear there.

Also new questions...

How many trees do i have to chop down before elven adviser dude comes to complain about that?
You need a baron/count/duke first (80 pop, some other stuff; I don't know if the king works if it comes before the other high nobles). Then, an elven diplomat will show up in spring and greet your baron, similar to the humans' diplomat. Afterwards, if you chop a tree, the elves will come the next spring and complain, demanding a lumber limit. If you chop none, the elves will still come, but will only say that they're pleased at you for not murdering any of their precious trees.

...At least, that's what I've heard/remember. I've been playing with mindlessly hostile elves that become wood logs when they die for a while now, so my memory may be faulty on this matter.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:45 pm »

Thanks for the prompt reply, Jim, and one more quick one for the fine folks of the forum!

I would like to reduce the number of stray puppies wandering my fortress by putting them all in a cage. However, I'd rather not have to micromanage releasing them when the mature into dogs so that I can train them to rend sweet sweet goblin flesh. If I queue up a train Wardog at my kennel, will the trainer be able to find the dog in question? And if he does, will that dog then be returned to the cage, or will he roam wild and free across the terrifying swamps?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »

In order to train a war dog, an untrained dog must be unrestrained, uncaged, and able to wander to the kennel.

Micromanaging puppies when they grow old is the only way, unless you want to be creative and make a puppy ranch. This thread might give you some useful ideas about keeping animals uncaged but away from your dining room.

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2009, 10:26:16 pm »

New question:

I'm looking for an area with an ocean (for deep water = water pressure), a magma pipe (to mix with the water for obsidian), generally flat land (for a large above ground megaconstruction (easy to find flat land near the ocean) and an underground water source (so I can get underground trees after I clear the entire surface to make room for my temple). I can find the first three together all over the place, but I've never seen underground water near the ocean. Is it impossible for underground water to appear near the ocean? Or is it possible to maybe change some settings in the world generation to make it happen? Or should I just look harder?

Or, even better, does anyone else already have a site like this?
-st

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2009, 10:31:22 pm »

Last I checked, underground rivers and pools appeared only on mountain tiles. As you won't be able to embark directly onto a cliff, you'll have to find a small strip of land with a range on one side and an ocean on the other... which will be difficult, to say the least. Changing the elevation variation to an extremely high value (and possibly lowering the max elevation to better ensure an ocean is generated - remember to lower the min peaks and/or raise the erosion if you do this) might help, but someone else probably has a more in-depth solution.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2009, 10:33:41 pm »

You might find it easier to satisfy all those conditions if you look for a lake instead of an ocean. Mountain ranges, especially large ones, frequently have high altitude lakes.

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2009, 10:39:10 pm »

High altitude lake, huh? I'll give it a shot. The flat area isn't a problem really since I can clear the map to make it flat if I need to I guess.

~edit~
New question... Is it possible to export the region map of a world that has already been created and played in?

~edit2~
So, I tried making a new world, and wow. Changing the variance and max elevation lead to a string of failures, where it would fail even if it was only required to have 1 peak. So, I took that off. Then it wanted more high elevation. So I decided that having a max of 300 was a bit to low, and set it to 350. Here's to hoping this works! Currently genning a map as I type.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:03:27 pm by stolensteel »
-st
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 181