Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 201267 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1380 on: February 11, 2010, 06:02:57 am »

It will trigger on whichever is higher.

Also, Vorpal, Mechanisms, whilst somewhat heavy, will take less keypresses to take to and sell at the depot, and the higher-qualiy ones can be made into furniture (either as levers or gear assemblies) to make your rooms more desirable, not to mention training a mechanic will mean higher quality mechanisms for weapon traps, whereas the only non-trading benefit you get from stonecrafting is obsidian swords, which only apply if you have obsidian.

Also you save wood on bins.

Wow, I really like mechanisms.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: February 11, 2010, 06:18:53 am »

I "accidentally" let my novice metal/armour/weaponsmith become pretty good at mining.

If he has a strange mood will it trigger on his metal skill or on his mining skill (leading him to become legendary at crafting or masonry)?

There are moodable skills and non-moodable. Mining is simply ignored when deciding which skill is the highest.

You can actually use this to your advantage and have a bunch of haulers and/or food handlers craft sparring weapons and become dabbling weaponsmiths. As they can't get moods in their primary skills, they'll go straight for the forge instead of the craftsdwarf's workshop thanks to that wonderful 30xp.

Mechanisms work, but they have a higher weight/profit margin than stone crafts.

In my fairly mature fortress (Just hit 200+ dwarves last year) I rely on mechanisms as my primary export (~1050 per masterpiece obsidian mechanism). Other than that, I sell masses of animal skull totems and low quality crossbows (Lost my nearly legendary bowyer a couple years back so I'm training up a new one from scratch).

And caravans definitely get larger after a while. It *may* have something to do with high profits, but I could be mistaken there.

Also, rough stone is terrible to trade. Checking items in my fort, modest quality obsidian crafts will high quality turtle shell decorations weigh 13-26 and sell for 120-300, masterpiece mechanisms weigh 267 and sell for 1080, and base obsidian weighs 801 and sells for...9.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: February 11, 2010, 06:50:15 am »

thanks about the crafting things  :)

new ones:
1. in the fortress game, you can't go out of your region, i.e the playing area is restricted to less than one square on the big map?
2. the civilization list me my original dwarfish civilization, anyway to look at it on the map?
3. when I activate the designation menu, my wall section blink in green, why so?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 11, 2010, 09:00:20 am »

thanks about the crafting things  :)

new ones:
1. in the fortress game, you can't go out of your region, i.e the playing area is restricted to less than one square on the big map?
2. the civilization list me my original dwarfish civilization, anyway to look at it on the map?
3. when I activate the designation menu, my wall section blink in green, why so?

1 yes
2 I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you mean the civilization menu in the pre-embark menu, you get there by the TAB key, and can change your starting civ.
if you mean looking at the world map once you've embarked, not so much.
3 they blink green to make them distinct from the smoothed natural rock walls, which can be engraved, cannot be "deconstructed", and can also, I hear, be turned into fortifications.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 11, 2010, 09:05:23 am »

Wrong, I've had a legendary miner stricken by possession and went to a masons workshop and made an alunite bed.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 11, 2010, 09:40:34 am »

Mining is simply ignored when deciding which skill is the highest.

No, it isn't. I realize that probably makes sense, but mining does actually get mooded and will result in an artifact at the mason's workshop.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:08 am »

I just consulted the wiki, the weighting of a miner's chance is 6, the same as mechanics, engravers, and tanners.

6 compared to 11 for Bowyer, Carpenter, Stoneworker, Mason, Woodworker and 21 for Armorer, Blacksmith, Bone Carver, Clothier, Craftsdwarf, Jeweler, Gem Cutter, Gem Setter, Glassmaker, Leatherworker, Metalcrafter, Metalsmith, Stonecrafter, Weaponsmith, Weaver, Woodcrafter

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 11, 2010, 10:51:30 am »

Wrong, I've had a legendary miner stricken by possession and went to a masons workshop and made an alunite bed.

Perfect for a noble's bedroom.  With the magma-safe mod, alunite is magma-proof, making it even more perfect.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 11, 2010, 12:49:40 pm »

How do I check the value of one of my buildings? I just picked up a +2000☼ rope off the caravan and wanna see what it did for my well.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 11, 2010, 01:22:26 pm »

Perfect for a noble's bedroom.

It's laughably easy to make a room high-value with just masterwork furniture and engravings, so why the hell would you waste artifacts on a noble?

Even the part about it being magma-proof wouldn't convince me to give it to a noble, unless I had a really hard time obtaining wood for new beds.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 11, 2010, 02:13:34 pm »

Perfect for a noble's bedroom.

It's laughably easy to make a room high-value with just masterwork furniture and engravings, so why the hell would you waste artifacts on a noble?

Even the part about it being magma-proof wouldn't convince me to give it to a noble, unless I had a really hard time obtaining wood for new beds.

Er, where else are you going to put an artifact bed?  Your favorite tradesdwarf's room?  The nobles will get upset about "pretentious living arangements". 
Besides, it's not *that* simple to max out room value.  I'm pretty sure I've had 4x4 rooms done by my legendary engraver not be suitable for Counts.

A lot of people make one room for all their nobles-room-requirements.  An artifact or two there is the perfect way to counteract the penalty for overlapping rooms.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 11, 2010, 02:17:38 pm »

How to perforate a tile in the floor like for the shaft of a well?

for example the tile of the well in the wiki? Me do not know:
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/File:Well_illustration.png

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 11, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »

Channel the tile.  If the water is more than one z-level below, you'll have to channel all the tiles in between.

Channeling can be real confusing.  I only "got it" when I saw the diagram here: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Stair

You see, z-level of rock is actually a layer of rock floor below a layer of rock wall.  When you dig, you remove the rock wall, but not the floor underneath.  When you channel, you remove the floor, plus any rock wall in that tile, plus any rock wall below.

The diagram explains it better than I do I think (:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:43:54 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 11, 2010, 02:44:25 pm »

Channel it out (d, h) if it's a natural floor, deconstruct it (d, n) if it's a built one (though the material will drop down into the water).
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 11, 2010, 03:14:06 pm »

So on my latest embark I've decided to build an above ground level on my fortress. So I've been keeping a good eye on the surroundings.

Throughout the life of it so far the number of wild animals and variations have been interesting. I've had cougars, dear, wolfs, and groundhogs.

Is it possible for me to capture perhaps the wolfs and/or cougars and train them up to fight for me during sieges and such? And how might I go about doing that?

As for the groundhogs: Could I maybe create a little pen for them to breed in, and just use them for food later on as I get enough?
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 181