Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 201769 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1395 on: February 11, 2010, 03:17:24 pm »

Er, where else are you going to put an artifact bed?  Your favorite tradesdwarf's room?  The nobles will get upset about "pretentious living arangements".

My artifact furniture pretty much always ends up in the room of the guy who made it, and I couldn't care less about one little bad thought my nobles might have because of this (though to be fair, it's been a long time since I've played with a pop high enough to get any nobles other than dungeon masters, but what's the worst that could happen, anyway?).

Besides, it's not *that* simple to max out room value.  I'm pretty sure I've had 4x4 rooms done by my legendary engraver not be suitable for Counts.

How about making larger rooms, then?

I see how giving nobles artifact furniture might make sense if you're not gonna be making anything out of precious metals to give them, but I disagree with your reasoning otherwise. Hell, even by roleplaying standards, pampering nobles with legendary furniture doesn't make sense if you're otherwise killing them at the drop of a hat (as a lot of people seem to do, if the "jokes" on this forum are to be believed).

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: February 11, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »

That's actually a question I always wondered about:

If all my nobles have rooms in the top, maxed-out opulence category, does the king get an unhappy thought regardless, or is it ok as long as his room has the highest value?

i.e., for the "lesser's pretentious arrangements" or whatever thought, is it raw room value that matters, or room value category?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1397 on: February 11, 2010, 03:34:23 pm »

Something I've been wondering out and haven't managed to test.

If a noble mandates an export ban on bolts, and one of my marksdwarves shoots a goblin resulting in a bolt stuck in the goblin, and the goblin then flees the map, does that count as a violation of an export ban?  And if so, who gets punished - the marksdwarf or the goblin?  How about if an export-banned object gets stolen by a kobold?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: February 11, 2010, 05:00:26 pm »

There are tower-caps in my plumbing. Any way to remove them without turning on the pumps?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: February 11, 2010, 05:03:04 pm »

There are tower-caps in my plumbing. Any way to remove them without turning on the pumps?
Cut them down?
I have a little DD problem..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Anyone willing to tell me how to install PROPERLY?
Since the instructions the mod gives isn't working for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 05:04:45 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 11, 2010, 05:19:59 pm »

You have to cut them down, yeah.  Not even magma will destroy trees (no kidding).

Afterwards build roads in the pipes, that will keep vegetation from growing.  Floors should work too but roads use less stone.  This only happened because you discovered underground water.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 11, 2010, 06:18:25 pm »

So on my latest embark I've decided to build an above ground level on my fortress. So I've been keeping a good eye on the surroundings.

Throughout the life of it so far the number of wild animals and variations have been interesting. I've had cougars, dear, wolfs, and groundhogs.

Is it possible for me to capture perhaps the wolfs and/or cougars and train them up to fight for me during sieges and such? And how might I go about doing that?

As for the groundhogs: Could I maybe create a little pen for them to breed in, and just use them for food later on as I get enough?

To the first question.  Cage traps.
Make this, VERY large, in the center of the map, or wherever they migrate.
Code: [Select]
    W
   cWc
  ccWcc
 WWWcWWW
  ccWcc
   cWc
    W
W = wall, c = cage trap.
You should get tons and tons of animals, use kennels to tame them.  You may need to mod them to be able to make them war animals.  Then use them like dogs.

As for the groundhogs, same thing, catch em, tame em, then channel a hole at somewhere where there would be NO exits.  Solid 8 walls with the hole in the center for the level under that.  Designate the area around the hole as a pit.  Pit all said groundhogs.  Then wait.  Tap the cell when you need food or hate your FPS 3-4 years later.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 11, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »

You have to cut them down, yeah.  Not even magma will destroy trees (no kidding).

Afterwards build roads in the pipes, that will keep vegetation from growing.  Floors should work too but roads use less stone.  This only happened because you discovered underground water.

So, there's no way to remove them without pumping all the water out?

Crap.
I think I need to get that magma-drop system worked out after all, so I can avoid yet another huge muddy patch of ground.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 11, 2010, 08:15:32 pm »

So, there's no way to remove them without pumping all the water out?

Crap.
I think I need to get that magma-drop system worked out after all, so I can avoid yet another huge muddy patch of ground.

You can technically dig a ramp underneath them to get rid of them... However, it will fall on your miner and very likely knock him unconscious as the water falls on top of him..

There is a trick you can use if the tree is not grown yet... (and if your water is not under pressure...)  If there is a rock (and rumor has it a stockpile) on top of young tower caps, they enver mature.  So if you have access above where the tree is sprouting, you can dump a rock on top of it and it will be unable to mature and block your pipe as long as it is covered.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 11, 2010, 08:20:10 pm »

Cut them down?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 11, 2010, 09:47:06 pm »

Cut them down?

• I'm going to assume you are on windows.
  • I am going to pretend that your dwarf fortress is installed in the folder C:\DF\
    So if you wanted to start the game you are going to Open C:\DF\dwarfort.exe

To install Dig Deeper:

• Open C:\DF\raw\
  • Delete the objects folder.

• Open C:\DF\data\
  • Delete the objects folder.

• Now open the Dig deeper Rar file. 
    When you open it you should see two folders, "data" and "raw" and then a "Dwarf Fortress [DIG DEEPER].txt"

• Open C:\DF\
  • Drag the two folders (you can drag all three if you want) in to C:\DF\
    If you get any messages about things already existing and such select the option overwrite or copy anyway.

• Dig Deeper should now be installed and will run by launching C:\DF\dwarfort.exe

And for future reference, you will often have better luck with help installing a mod if you post in the mod's thread instead of the general thread :-) Best of luck... don't let the orcs eat all of your dwarves.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 12, 2010, 02:43:23 am »

thanks for the tips on using channel.  :) A last one on that, I now understand how I could build a shaft, I would put a serie of up/down stairs, and then channel/dig an adjacent column of tiles, from top to bottom? But can I make a shaft without this service stairway nearby?

Except for butchering them, why would I embark with horses, mules and such?

How can I tell a specific dwarf that it is him which should to THIS task and not another? Play extensively with Jobs list so he is the only candidate possible?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 12, 2010, 02:58:00 am »

thanks for the tips on using channel.  :) A last one on that, I now understand how I could build a shaft, I would put a serie of up/down stairs, and then channel/dig an adjacent column of tiles, from top to bottom? But can I make a shaft without this service stairway nearby?
You can designate a ramp on the next-to-top level before digging anything out, then designate the level below that for ramping after the first ramp is dug, then designate channels until you're at the desired depth. The second ramp will block the miner's access out, and then it'll just channel the floor directly beneath them to form the shaft. Do note that unless you have a seperate access tunnel at the bottom, the miner will die of dehydration due to being stuck.

Generally, though, it's safer and overall better to dig the access stairs 2 tiles way from the shaft and just put constructed walls beside the shaft itself, since with the method above your miner might decide that he's too hungry/thirsty to finish and thus not.

Except for butchering them, why would I embark with horses, mules and such?
Butchering is the only purpose, but it doesn't have to be immediate. Embark with 2 of a given species bought with points, and you will get a breeding pair (except, of course, mules, which are sterile). Getting a guarunteed source of meat, fat, leather, bones, and skulls from the beginning can be worth it for some builds, especially if you're playing a modded race that is carnivorous or can't use cloth for whatever reason, or if you're doing a no-digging challenge where stone is too useful to waste on crafts.

quote]How can I tell a specific dwarf that it is him which should to THIS task and not another? Play extensively with Jobs list so he is the only candidate possible?[/quote]If the job is at a workshop, you can use the workshop profile (q-select the workshop-P) to limit the workshop to allow only the desired dwarf (this also works for levers). Or, since jobs appear to select the closest dwarf with the proper labor and no current job, you can attempt to make sure the desired dwarf is the closest when the job searches for a worker by leaving the job undesignated, drafting and stationing the dwarf nearby, pausing, and undrafting the dwarf and designating the job before unpausing.

Other than that, there's not really a good way to do it.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 12, 2010, 03:17:30 am »

Great answers Necrorebel, you people are so nice with newbies :)

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1409 on: February 12, 2010, 04:50:36 am »

[stuff about animals]
Butchering is the only purpose, but it doesn't have to be immediate.

Without me looking at the new version thread - is pack animals for use within your fort coming this version?

WAGONS would be FANTASTIC but at least pack mules (possibly moving say 2 stone per trip) in a train.... we would be starting to get to something approaching "real mining".

Not that fantasy games need too much basis in reality, but hey, if the damn merchants can use pack animals to carry blocks and rocks why can't I - "Guild Secrets" or something?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 181