Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198640 times)

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 05:34:22 pm »

I can't even comprehend 450 million wealth. I keep getting happy and dug in just as I realise my site is made of fail for resources, though  :'(

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 05:42:42 pm »

I'm fairly confident friendly fire only happens with ballistae.

Awesome, that makes things much easier. Thanks!

I can't even comprehend 450 million wealth. I keep getting happy and dug in just as I realise my site is made of fail for resources, though  :'(

The only reason my fort was so dang wealthy was because 100% of it was engraved and I was lucky enough to hit two big platinum veins as well as some gold, silver, and tetrahedrite. Then you can import tons of high value ingredients for making very expensive meals. It's also about 8 years old, so it took some time to build up to that. No economy either :P

And I just thought of one more thing! I have temperature turned off to keep the FPS up, but will that stop creatures like Spirits of Fire from doing damage?

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:16:53 pm »

Should do for the "everything burns" damage.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »

I'm fairly confident friendly fire only happens with ballistae.

Confirmed.

Can't hurt friendlies with crossbows or catapults, no matter how hard you try.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 07:37:50 pm »

Didn't know that catapults were safe. I always assumed they were merely so inaccurate that the odds of hitting a friendly with them were pathetically low (heck, the odds of hitting a hostile with them are pretty pitiful).

As for megabeasts, I usually see them show up at roughly the same time as the goblins do, give or take a season. I've always assumed their arrival triggers are the same as goblins, just hardcoded (which would be a nice thing to put in the raws, come to think of it, so you could set up a mod with periodic megabeast attacks that grow in strength).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 07:50:33 pm »

(heck, the odds of hitting a hostile with them are pretty pitiful).

Couldn't quote numbers, but catapults can be moderately accurate if they're maxed out.  If the target is stationary, like during a siege or with some creatures, they can do the job.  But, yeah, they are not in the "one shot, one kill" category, no doubt.  ;)

I don't think ballistae are any better, they're just low-flying jets that cut a swathe thru anything they cross, so they don't have to target a specific tile.

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 08:20:35 pm »

Well I've had gobbo seiges even on my small fortresses (80 population is very much incorrect, I can say that at least) but still no megabeasts.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 11:43:56 pm »

So, I just realised that my elf drowner is a temple to armok in all but altar. It seals and floods, and has a whole rack of spikes on constructed soap floors for making the process quicker.
It just needs an altar. What should I use for this? An anvil? Tables?

Also, should I rip out the kimberlite block trade depot, pave the entire room with soap instead of just a few bits, and then make the depot out of soap?
Or would that be a bit much?
Or should I make it out of an obvious wood product?

Fuck it. Clear glass block trade depot. It's shiny, it's valuable, and it wipes clean!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 11:53:23 pm »

Catapults will hurt friendlies if they happen to be right next to, or on top of the catapult's target when the stone lands. It has something like an area of effect.

Otherwise its completely safe to fire unless the catapult targets some hoary marmot a hunter is wrestling to death.

I always wondered why some fortresses will let you make coats from the clothier's workshop while other don't. I thought it depended on how cold the embark site was but no dice.

I also wonder if degraded clothing and armor (XX Cow Leather Tunic XX) has any effect on its damblock or anything besides its value.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 12:50:39 am »

I always wondered why some fortresses will let you make coats from the clothier's workshop while other don't. I thought it depended on how cold the embark site was but no dice.

It's civ-dependent. Each civ randomly determines its clothing, but there are usually a few constants. Humans, for example, have the widest variety of clothing. They can wear capes and braies instead of cloaks and socks, or togas and short skirts instead of tunics and trousers.

I also wonder if degraded clothing and armor (XX Cow Leather Tunic XX) has any effect on its damblock or anything besides its value.

My suspicion is no. But I've no evidence to back that up.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 04:54:02 pm »

To avoid creating another thread I'll use this one.

So, I have a minor issue concerning economic stones. I've looked through the wiki and forum for any hint of what might be wrong, but so far there is nothing I can tell. The stone is not forbidden, and it sure isn't economic. I have a huge stockpile of stone outside my fortress consisting of a mix of economic stone, like obsidian, and normal stone, like microcline.

The issue is with my new Mason's Workshop. I already have one, and it's building the standard mix of doors and tables. However, whenever I try to assign a task to the new one the task is canceled due to a lack of non-economic stones. That's a blatant lie and I think he's just lazy.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 05:03:06 pm »

Probably: He can't path to the stone for some reason.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 05:06:19 pm »

That would be it. Thank you.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 05:47:33 pm »

there is currently a limit on how many artifacts one can have at any time, based on the init files and how many tiles are mined out.

does reclaiming reset this limit?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 06:17:03 pm »

Are any humanoids edible?

Namely, can I eat troglodytes?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 181