Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 201939 times)

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2655 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:06 pm »

according to the raws no,

hammers deal damage based on the density of the material used
for example, iron has a density of 7850.
bone has a density of 500.

I hope it's nice looking, because it won't be dealing a lot of damage

Well. At least it's pink.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: June 18, 2010, 10:24:11 am »

1) I have economy started in my fortress. But I just cannot understand how can I make my new migrant dwarves to have own bedrooms. I build a new bedroom and I cannot assignt it to somebody because the new dwarves are just not in the list (only nobles and legendary/champs are there). So I start this room for ren[T]. But it still has 'nobody' as an owner. But [p][z] dwarf meny says that they do have enough money.

2) Is it necessary to make coins? Wiki says that you can manage without them but then what is the idea of having coins in fortress?

3)  I built a couple of shops and there are owners of those but still no goods there. What could be the problem?

++

4) How can I throw creatures from somewhere? Towers for example

5) Is it possible in DF to dig a deep hole in the ground? For example to throw goblins there instead of building towers? (build a tower by the way? How?)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:41:02 am by Shangurath »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: June 18, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

This site will answer all of those questions with cursory searching, and we won't have to spell out the answers again. If you search well there and can't find the answer to some questions, then come back and post them again.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: June 18, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »

I seem to be having some sort of weird problem. As soon as I designated a hospital, my injured miner ran into it and collapsed right into front of the door. Then the doctor (who is also the mayor) ran in, and collapsed on top of him. The two are both stuck in the same spot and always have the "rest" task. Can someone explain to me what is going on and how to fix it?

EDIT: Woops, just noticed this is the 40d thread. I'm playing 2010, my mistake.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: June 18, 2010, 07:06:51 pm »

I can't seem to get my dwarfs to spar, can someone walk me through that?

Darn, along with the above post i am playing 2010, thanks anyways
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:21:46 pm by Stik »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: June 18, 2010, 11:34:15 pm »

1) I have economy started in my fortress. But I just cannot understand how can I make my new migrant dwarves to have own bedrooms. I build a new bedroom and I cannot assignt it to somebody because the new dwarves are just not in the list (only nobles and legendary/champs are there). So I start this room for ren[T]. But it still has 'nobody' as an owner. But [p][z] dwarf meny says that they do have enough money.

2) Is it necessary to make coins? Wiki says that you can manage without them but then what is the idea of having coins in fortress?

3)  I built a couple of shops and there are owners of those but still no goods there. What could be the problem?

++

4) How can I throw creatures from somewhere? Towers for example

5) Is it possible in DF to dig a deep hole in the ground? For example to throw goblins there instead of building towers? (build a tower by the way? How?)

1. Dwarves will rent rooms on their own. Don't bother trying to assign any rooms to them once you hit the economy. It may take a bit of time for them to make the decision, but they should make it eventually.

2. No, it is not necessary to make coins. And you never should anyway; too much time spent hauling tiny stacks of coins around that don't restack.

3. Don't worry about that. When shops get filled with goods seems somewhat random, but it always happens. Just be patient. If you've got dwarves who own the shops but can't buy goods, they'll probably end up selling the shop back to the city, where it will be filled with goods once your broker starts managing it.

4. Learn to use the zones menu. It defaults to 'i'. Set a 'p'it over empty space and assign creatures to it.

5. You've heard of channels, stairs, and ramps? Use those designations en masse to make pits to throw stuff into. It's not too hard. With a bit of experimentation on your own you'll figure it out.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shangurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: June 19, 2010, 02:07:51 am »

Thanks for the answer :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:10:27 am by Shangurath »

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: June 30, 2010, 03:59:56 pm »

I keep seeing people talking about turning off weather and Temperature... How?

The Init.txt doesnt have either of those modifiers in it, so do I need to add them?  If so what exactly should they say?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:30 pm »

I keep seeing people talking about turning off weather and Temperature... How?

The Init.txt doesnt have either of those modifiers in it, so do I need to add them?  If so what exactly should they say?

Look in the d_init file, which is in the same folder.

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: June 30, 2010, 04:06:22 pm »

Dankas!

One more thing tho, do I need to save/exit/restart inorder for changes to go in effect?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: June 30, 2010, 04:07:39 pm »

You will need to quit and restart Dwarf Fortress in order for any changes to go into effect.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: June 30, 2010, 04:09:39 pm »

Much Dankas :)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: June 30, 2010, 11:30:20 pm »

What happens if you drop a magma-safe creature in a wooden cage, into magma?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: June 30, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »

I think that the cage and anything in it is destroyed, but there's only one way to find out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: July 01, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

What happens if you drop a magma-safe creature in a wooden cage, into magma?

Your cage will be destroyed, but the creature will be teleported to the location it was caught in a cage trap. The creature may also be on fire, but that's only if it isn't magma safe.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 181