Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198641 times)

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2670 on: July 01, 2010, 02:05:04 pm »

How can I see what a caged prisoner is carrying?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: July 01, 2010, 02:13:11 pm »

You can't. However, you can dump all his items by using the mass designations sub menu (d - b - d) and marking the cage with it. That way you'll know what he was carrying, and it will be out of the cage.

Note that doing this will mark the cage for dumping as well, so you might want to remove that if you want to keep your cage.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: July 01, 2010, 11:58:51 pm »

What happens if you drop a magma-safe creature in a wooden cage, into magma?

Your cage will be destroyed, but the creature will be teleported to the location it was caught in a cage trap. The creature may also be on fire, but that's only if it isn't magma safe.

That is the most awesome bug ever. Think about it: Flaming Teleporting Goblin Prisoners... as a defense mechanism! You caught a goblin there before, so clearly it is a place goblins will go during attack. And after the first one: you can pop a burning goblin into their midst next time!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rizyq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: July 02, 2010, 01:51:38 pm »

I didn't think I should ask this in the 2010 thread, since I'm not playing the most recent version...

But, I'm new to DF, and, it seems one of my Dwarves went insane (I hadn't noticed he went into a fey mood) So I loaded my save back up from a bit after he went into the fey mood.

On the wiki it's always saying dwarves will go into workshops for whatever mood they're in. But, I guess I don't have the workshop for my dwarf, as he's just sitting on a chair in my meetinghall/foodhall.

I'm not exactly sure how I should go about this.

EDIT:

Oh, and I'm playing the um second most recent version (Not sure what it's called, but the version released prior to the newest one) with MayDay's green tileset.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:53:33 pm by Rizyq »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: July 02, 2010, 02:32:38 pm »

This article has all the info you need. What you should be looking for is a list of "moodable" skills and what workshop they require. Lacking one of those skills, your dwarf will opt for a crafts workshop.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: July 02, 2010, 02:36:10 pm »

Also, if he's a metalworker or a glassmaker, make sure to build magma and normal versions of a forge and glass furnace. They sometimes prefer one over the other.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rizyq

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: July 02, 2010, 03:57:51 pm »

Also, if he's a metalworker or a glassmaker, make sure to build magma and normal versions of a forge and glass furnace. They sometimes prefer one over the other.

Yeah, he's a glassmaker, which I just realized, but I don't know how to make a magma glass furnace >_< and I wouldn't have any magma to use for it, anyways. And he doesn't want to seem to use the regular glass furnace.

So, how could I go about building and using a magma glass furnace (Like I said, I'm new)?

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #2677 on: July 02, 2010, 04:32:38 pm »

I'm trying to create an "Outside" area underground, (complete with a river and waterfall.) and I would like for there to be grass too.

Is it possible to make grass grow on underground rock tiles?

just to be on the safe side: underground muddied rock tiles.

Already edited trees to grow there :)
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

RagNoRock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: July 02, 2010, 04:51:50 pm »

So, my baddarse Militia Commander went out and single handedly downed a Forgoten Beast Crocadile with Poison Blood.

Now the Commander has a pulsing Miasma around her.... Whats going to happen to her?

NM, She died :(
Reloading to prior to fighting poison Croc.   Will send in a lesser fighter to kill it, or kill it with something other then an Axe.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:54:34 pm by RagNoRock »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: July 02, 2010, 06:00:21 pm »

So, how could I go about building and using a magma glass furnace (Like I said, I'm new)?

From the Wikipedia (for fuck's sake) article about magma forges (it's analogous to magma glass furnaces, smelters and kilns):

To build a magma forge, you must have fire-safe materials, an anvil, and a build site with at least one tile open over magma at least 4/7 deep. Placing the impassable sections of the workshop over the magma will prevent dwarves from getting knocked in and prevent magma creatures from crawling out.

One thing to add is that you can't channel out the center tile of where you want to place your furnace. All other tiles are good, and the impassable (you can tell which are impassable by the dark green color) ones preferable.

just to be on the safe side: underground muddied rock tiles.

Grass should grow there as long as you don't cover the area with anything, including bridges or glass floors.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:38:39 pm by assimilateur »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 02, 2010, 07:34:03 pm »

Not to nitpick, assimilateur, but you shouldn't refer to the DF wiki as "Wikipedia." You'll confuse people.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 02, 2010, 07:37:48 pm »

Not to nitpick, assimilateur, but you shouldn't refer to the DF wiki as "Wikipedia." You'll confuse people.

Talk about brain fart. Thanks for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:39:23 pm by assimilateur »

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 02, 2010, 08:12:16 pm »

Aw nuts.
I was writing my physics paper based on information from DF Wiki, when in fact I should have been using Wikipedia!!
Thanks a lot!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: July 02, 2010, 08:22:58 pm »

I, for one, would love to see a paper written on df physics. It would be hilarious.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #2684 on: July 03, 2010, 01:28:33 am »

Grass should grow there as long as you don't cover the area with anything, including bridges or glass floors.

I want grass on an inside subterran dark muddied rock.
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181