Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 201753 times)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1290 on: February 08, 2010, 12:58:41 am »

Oh wow
It seems I was accidentally hilarious or something?
Okay, yeah, I actually meant that as honest advice.
See, I haven't played DF in a while, and I thought walls weren't constructed with floors automatically on top, so I thought that building a floor on top of the wall would let someone build another wall on top of the floor.
Oh well.

It's actually decent advice... Its just in line with a smart mouth answer I'd give IRL.  "How do you get out of here?"  "I go through that door there"   That kind of thing.... and at tower building at it's most fundamental level is... build a wall, put a floor on it, and repeat.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 08, 2010, 05:08:45 am »

I have a brook on my highest natural z-level. If I were to pump water from it, what would happen to my fortress?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

BLitZ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 08, 2010, 06:24:37 am »

In all likely hood a flood. if it is powered by a windmill or waterwheel or it will stop flooding when the pump operator gets spooked by the water entering his tile.
Were all mad here

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 08, 2010, 08:22:49 am »

Will water destroy engravings or not? I've been playing around with different test digs on an old fort, and running a pumped waterfall over my engravings for several seasons doesn't seem to destroy them (although they do become unviewable after a while). On the other hand, though, letting "muddy water" straight from the brook cascade over them gives me a "masterwork of so and so has been lost" message after a while. Is it just "water destroys engravings" or is there some way to "clean" the water first?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1294 on: February 08, 2010, 08:45:43 am »

Water doesn't destroy engravings.  Magma flowing over an engraved tile will destroy it, but water won't.  If you have discovered an underground water source (pool or river) and have underground plants growing, a muddied engraved floor tile can have a plant grow on it, and that will destroy engravings.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:43 am »

You can prevent plants from growing on muddied floor tiles by paving over them with a constructed floor or paved road. I believe this will destroy any underlying engravings. You definitely don't want plants in your plumbing though, as they'll block the flow of water if they grow to  be tree-sized (like tower caps will).

Note that magma will melt floor engravings, but not wall engravings - it only affects things in the same tile. This also has the odd effect of making trees impervious to magma.
The fish are watching.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 08, 2010, 02:12:02 pm »

question, aside from needing an underground towercap forest, what else do I need to think of if I am to shut off from the outside world, for atleast a few years while I smith and train my men?  I have around a hundred dwarves, masons, carpenters, bowyers, and smiths and a dozen soldiers, with magma and whatnot, I guess I could do without wood since I can make things out of stone and already have hundreds of beds, but is there anything else I need to think of?
I like sushi.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 08, 2010, 02:14:09 pm »

Do trees block water flow?

There are tower-caps in my plumbing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 08, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »

They do. I hope your plumbing is wider than one tile.

question, aside from needing an underground towercap forest, what else do I need to think of if I am to shut off from the outside world, for atleast a few years while I smith and train my men?  I have around a hundred dwarves, masons, carpenters, bowyers, and smiths and a dozen soldiers, with magma and whatnot, I guess I could do without wood since I can make things out of stone and already have hundreds of beds, but is there anything else I need to think of?

The only things you 'need' to seal yourself off are things to satisfy hunger and thirst. So if you have a farm plot making plump helmets and a well connected to infinite water, you'll be fine. Anything else is a luxury.

The only other thing I can think of is metal bars for noble mandates, and a few items that are much easier to get from the caravan than finding them yourself, gems and leather in particular. If you're not planning on doing any leatherworking or decorating with gems, you should be fine.

I get the feeling that there's something I'm missing, but I can't be sure. If you lack metals that you can turn into weapons and armor, that's a concern as well.

I have a brook on my highest natural z-level. If I were to pump water from it, what would happen to my fortress?

That depends on where you pump it and what safety measures you take to prevent it from flooding your fortress. What did you have in mind?

If you pump directly from it with no precautions, it will flood your fortress. Slowly, since the water output from brooks is pretty low.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 08, 2010, 04:04:30 pm »

So I decided to try switching immigration off by setting my population cap to 10, but another 3 immigrants have just arrived so I have 13 now - WTF?

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 08, 2010, 04:08:07 pm »

My guess would be that the game had already decided to send that wave before you changed the cap (if you were indeed at 10 dwarves at the time). Also note that waves of any size can arrive as long as you're below the cap - a 9 dwarf fortress with a cap of 10 can easily get hit by a 20-dwarf migration wave.
The fish are watching.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 08, 2010, 04:22:28 pm »

I guess thats probably it though if it is the game must have had that 3 dorf wave planned well in advance as I was on 7 dorfs when I changed to 10. I've since had three waves of 1, 2 and 3 dorfs respectively. I'll keep an eye on it and see if any more come.

edit: Another small wave of 2 arrived, they seem to be trickling in rather than coming in big batches like they normally do but its still ignoring the overall cap. It could just be another pre-defined wave though I'll see if the situation changes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:45:57 pm by Spong »

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 08, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »

Does anyone have a save to the Boatmurdered world so I can reclaim it?
I like sushi.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 08, 2010, 07:11:53 pm »

Ok, I haven't checked my world out in legends, but every single goblin ambush has had a human with it so far (thats 10 or so ambushes) 

And So far on a couple of the humans, they have been immune to cage traps... goblins walk on them, bam caged no problem.  The human in the ambush just stands on all the loaded cage traps waiting to slay anyone who comes by.  Any idea why a human would not set off the traps?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 08, 2010, 07:27:43 pm »

Humans are immune to any traps the diplomat's seen.

Even goblinised humans.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 181