Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198642 times)

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1305 on: February 08, 2010, 08:32:53 pm »

Alright, now whenever my wrestlers well, wrestle, they find the need to strip each other of all clothing. But now, it's really starting to get everywhere. Is there any way I can clean this shenanigans up?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 08, 2010, 08:40:53 pm »

Only magma.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »

Alright, now whenever my wrestlers well, wrestle, they find the need to strip each other of all clothing. But now, it's really starting to get everywhere. Is there any way I can clean this shenanigans up?

If you give them their own bedroom with a cabinet and a chest they might pick them up and shove them into the cabinet/chest while off duty and not practicing.

Might.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 08, 2010, 09:01:35 pm »

I don't have my soldiers spar.  at all.  if they wrestle they lose all their clothing and if they use weapons one of them gets a his lower right leg broken and sits in his bed being a burden on the fortress as we deliver him water and food... and he doesn't heal after 3 years and suddenly he gets out of bed with meloncholy and jumps in a well after a long cripple crawl to the lake.  OR use xbow dwarves.  They just train on archery ranges and don't even need metal to make them useful.  Leather armor/quiver and wooden bolts/bow.

P.s. seriously I wanna play the map Boatmurdered was in
I like sushi.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 08, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »

I've arranged things so that the barracks are designated from a weapon rack or armour stand behind a raising bridge, but I can't remember how. What won't work is something like this:

Code: [Select]
###D#####
#+++++|R#
#+++++|##
#+++++|##
#########

D: door
R: weapon rack
|: bridge when raised
Perhaps it needs to be on a diagonal.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:23:46 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 08, 2010, 11:57:03 pm »

I have a question about barracks clutter too real quick, before I try it incase some one else has / knows.

Can I basically build a barracks or designate it so the entire room is on a retractable bridge, then from time to time clear the room by retracting the bridge and dumping the stuff into magma? Or do rooms not work over a bridge?

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 09, 2010, 12:23:41 am »

They won't spar on a bridge.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 09, 2010, 12:43:13 am »

Nice avatar bro

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 09, 2010, 01:41:58 am »

Humans are immune to any traps the diplomat's seen.

Even goblinised humans.

wait, what?? when did this happen? I did not know this. wow.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 09, 2010, 02:14:37 am »

Humans are immune to any traps the diplomat's seen.

Even goblinised humans.

wait, what?? when did this happen? I did not know this. wow.

Yeah... its a good way to get your smith killed.

Anyway... a couple questions... My tests seem to indicate that floor grates made of green glass submerged in magma do not melt... Is that right?  or did I just not leave them in long enough?

and second, for pumps, I know the corkscrew and tube matter, but if I am submerging pumps in magma, does the block need to be a non-magma-melty material?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1315 on: February 09, 2010, 08:52:05 am »

They won't spar on a bridge.
They will, so long as the barracks contains at least one open non-bridge tile.  I've had barracks where the entire floor except for two tiles, one containing an armor rack and one left open, was a retracting bridge over a magma pipe.  They sparred on the bridge, left clothing everywhere, and I periodically retracted the bridge to dump it in the magma.
My tests seem to indicate that floor grates made of green glass submerged in magma do not melt... Is that right?  or did I just not leave them in long enough?
This is correct.  For some bizarre reason green glass furniture is magma-proof when built, even though loose green glass objects will melt when dumped in magma.  This also applies to pumps made entirely from green glass - they can be safely immersed in magma without melting.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 09, 2010, 09:41:57 am »

Is there a way to edit any of the raws to reduce the size of immigration waves? Since my computer can't handle that many dwarves I'd also like to have immigrants come slower if possible (5-10 per wave instead of 20-30). Can this be done or do I just kill most of the ones that arrive to discourage anybody else from showing up?
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:38 pm »

You can set the population cap to 0 in the init.txt file. This way you won't get any more immigrants. As far as I know, you can't do much with the migrant wave size.

Questions:
1) Can goblins swim?
2) If a goblin falls into a flowing river, will the river push him along?
3) Will the river push objects in it along?
4) If a goblin is in some water, and subsequently gets magma dropped on him, will all his cloth clothing be preserved in the obsidian and be able to later be recovered by mining? Will the metal objects be preserved?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 09, 2010, 12:45:26 pm »

*blurp mispost*

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 09, 2010, 01:56:00 pm »

Questions:
1) Can goblins swim?

Maybe?

2) If a goblin falls into a flowing river, will the river push him along?

7/7 water does not push anything even if it has "flow"  the water is actually "teleporting."  If you're standing next to a square of 7/7 water and it spreads out towards a unit or item, then it can be pushed

3) Will the river push objects in it along?

same as above

4) If a goblin is in some water, and subsequently gets magma dropped on him, will all his cloth clothing be preserved in the obsidian and be able to later be recovered by mining? Will the metal objects be preserved?

Not sure.... I know in my obsidian farms, if there are magma safe rocks when i fill it up and dump water, I get obsidian + those rocks when I mine it out.  I also recently flooded my magma pipe with water, and after the new obsidian cap cooled, there is one square that is a rough hewn obsidian wall, a fire imp skull, and 3 fire imp bones.  I know the imps bones are "magma safe" so it might apply to items too.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 181