Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198526 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1320 on: February 09, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »

Humans are immune to any traps the diplomat's seen.

Even goblinised humans.

wait, what?? when did this happen? I did not know this. wow.

Since this version came out.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 09, 2010, 03:27:01 pm »

Humans are immune to any traps the diplomat's seen.

Even goblinised humans.

wait, what?? when did this happen? I did not know this. wow.

Since this version came out.

Found a solution to the problem... If you forget to let the human diplomat leave, he'll go berserek in your dining hall, your military will come make his body explode all over the walls, and you can then rebuild your traps without fear that some stupid humgoblin will spear your blacksmith while he diligently runs out to try and pick up a goblin cage.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 09, 2010, 05:21:18 pm »

What are some ways I can improve room quality for my nobles?

- Better item quality (For beds/Doors/Etc.)
- Statues

^ Is all I know how to improve the 'room' quality. (Decent bedroom..Fine bedroom..etc)

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 09, 2010, 06:00:45 pm »

Smooth / great engravings.  Also can make contents out of stuff they like so they perceive it as being worth more.  Unsure if this gives quality on the "r" screen, but gives them happier thoughts.
I'd do that, but I don't think dwarves have words for "fair" or "logical".

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 09, 2010, 06:04:03 pm »

What are some ways I can improve room quality for my nobles?

- Better item quality (For beds/Doors/Etc.)
- Statues

^ Is all I know how to improve the 'room' quality. (Decent bedroom..Fine bedroom..etc)

Making things out of iron/steel tends to make the value of a room shoot up (instead of using stone like I used to do)

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 09, 2010, 06:05:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahh yes, also use higher valued items as components for statues/doors/etc.  Making a Marble/Obsidian door for example is worth more than a Gabbro.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 09, 2010, 06:17:14 pm »

Build expensive ropes or chains throughout the room.  I didn't know this worked until I saw a beautiful fortress on the df map archive, where high-quality dyed ropes were used for "carpeting".  Gives you a chance to colour the room, too (:

Goblins can swim just like dwarves: if they don't drown fast enough, they'll learn.  I learned this by using a roofless outdoor drowning chamber.  Cover the chamber and fill it to the top, and it won't matter if they can swim or not.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 09, 2010, 06:19:52 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ahh yes, also use higher valued items as components for statues/doors/etc.  Making a Marble/Obsidian door for example is worth more than a Gabbro.

not sure if I'm stating a fact so obvious that no one bothered to mention, but don't forget to choose the perfect location! A noble will always prefer a room made from flux and valuable minerals/gems (personally I don't want a chalky room, but hey I'm not a noble).  Don't forget to call up your engraver and have those walls and floors smoothed and engraved, that will ALWAYS increase the value.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Dendou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 09, 2010, 07:47:44 pm »

a)  I know that a chain allows access within 1 tile of its center, but does this apply to Z levels as well?  ie: could I have a 3x3x3 cube prison for my dwarves?

b)  Does the quality of the design of ballistae affect the accuracy/power/rate of fire?  I have 6 ballistae made from only masterpiece parts and I want them as high quality as possible.

c)  Does the quality of ballistae bolts affect accuracy/power/rate?

d)  If yes to c then, will dumping my bolts into magma burn the shaft and leave my adamantine tips to be reused or do I have to melt down the tips too?

As you can see, I like to have the option of extreme overkill always available.
Oh, and e)  Is there any greater overkill I could do than having one one my legendary +5 siege operators fire a materpiece adamantine tipped ballistae bolt from a masterpiece ballistae at point blank range?(other than involving magma of couse ;), I'll figure that out too)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 09, 2010, 07:55:05 pm »

a)  I know that a chain allows access within 1 tile of its center, but does this apply to Z levels as well?  ie: could I have a 3x3x3 cube prison for my dwarves?
Yes to this, don't know about the others.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 09, 2010, 07:55:55 pm »

if i build a room Inside a magma pipe will the room flood with magma when the magma fills to its level?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 09, 2010, 07:57:43 pm »

b. Part quality affects accuracy and rate of fire.
c. Bolt quality/material affects damage and possibly accuracy.
e. Have two legendary +5 siege operators fire masterpiece adamantine tipped ballistae bolts from masterpiece ballistas at point blank range.

jayseesee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 09, 2010, 08:00:54 pm »

e. Having a newly recruited peasant go wrestle a Bronze Colossus is more overkill than ANY siege operator firing from point blank range.  Siege Operators are pansies civilians that flee at the sight of their own freaking shadow from 20 squares.
Urist McCrybaby cancels fire ballista: saw shadow.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 09, 2010, 08:07:31 pm »

Have Morul and Ironblood close on a kobold thief.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 09, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »

if i build a room Inside a magma pipe will the room flood with magma when the magma fills to its level?

*cough*
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 181