Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198662 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1335 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:20 pm »

Normally I'd say no, since magma is not normally pressurized, and so it won't rise through an open bottom. I dunno how the rules work if you're putting it right over the Magma Flow tiles though.

To test it, you could dump some water over the top of the pipe, channel some enclosed tiles out and see whether the magma refills the tile or not.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 09, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »

How do you look at combat details and wounds in more depth? I read on the forums where players describe combat fairly intricately but I have no details in my game I just see the outcome of either a dead dorf or a dead gobbo/kobold etc. I know how to look at what parts are wounded by using 'v' then 'w' on a character but is there a more detailed screen? Basically I would like to know more about whats happening with my soldiers.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 09, 2010, 09:42:09 pm »

if i build a room Inside a magma pipe will the room flood with magma when the magma fills to its level?
If it's sealed, top and bottom, no. If the bottom is open... Not sure. If the top is open and the entire magma pipe isn't covered, it'll get filled as magma slops over the sides. Magma in a magma pipe appears to spawn in "beams" rising straight up from the magma flow to up to 3 tiles above the highest magma level or the original magma top. This means that emptied pipes will occasionally get columns 3 z-levels high of 7/7 magma squares, which then of course rapidly collapse because they're made of liquid.

These beams, however, are blocked by most everything, so a room that is sealed on all sides won't flood, and if you seal the entire pipe at any level with floors, bridges, etc. the magma won't fill over that level until the blockage is gone.

How do you look at combat details and wounds in more depth? I read on the forums where players describe combat fairly intricately but I have no details in my game I just see the outcome of either a dead dorf or a dead gobbo/kobold etc. I know how to look at what parts are wounded by using 'v' then 'w' on a character but is there a more detailed screen? Basically I would like to know more about whats happening with my soldiers.
In Adventure Mode, there are much, much more detailed combat and wound reports, which are the ones you usually see. With Dwarf Companion, you can also sort of turn these on in Fortress Mode, though it's quite buggy and generally more trouble than it's worth. Specifically, the names of the creatures involved are never displayed, so while you can tell what's happening you can't tell who it's happening to, and it does it in the announcements line so you get dozens of lines of announcement spam and can't really follow it in real-time.

Real combat reports are yet another feature that is coming in the next version, which should be out any minute/hour/day/week/month/year (choose appropriate for your preferred -mism) now.

Many people also use their imaginations to make more detailed combat reports. If you're capable of doing such a thing yourself, more power to you  ;)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 09, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »

if i build a room Inside a magma pipe will the room flood with magma when the magma fills to its level?
If it's sealed, top and bottom, no. If the bottom is open... Not sure.

Unless you've got an active pump with the output tile touching the magma pipe from higher up (thus 'pressurizing' the pipe), no. Which is totally awesome, because you can build a tower without much of a floor on the bottom level to have a magma pool within your tower within the magma pipe!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »

Unfortunately you have to do it manually. Pause the game when your soldiers engage the enemy, let the game run for a second or so, then pause again and check the wounds of the combatants. Alternately use the period key to advance the game a few steps at a time, if the combats go by too fast for you. There are no combat reports in fortress mode, but you can infer what's happened by watching wounds progress.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 09, 2010, 10:32:57 pm »

Unfortunately you have to do it manually. Pause the game when your soldiers engage the enemy, let the game run for a second or so, then pause again and check the wounds of the combatants. Alternately use the period key to advance the game a few steps at a time, if the combats go by too fast for you.

Even then, it can be hard to see what exactly is going on if combat moves quickly.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:53 pm »

Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?

Also, the goblins murdered the human diplomat. This means war, doesen't it?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: February 09, 2010, 11:36:07 pm »

Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud. You can also use flooring if you want.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 10, 2010, 01:06:54 am »

If they killed the Guild Representative, the one who comes with every human caravan and negotiates what you import, then you don't get a replacement and can no longer as the humans for specific goods.
This also angers the humans, like seizing a caravan, though in my experience the other civs are very tolerant so I wouldn't say war is guaranteed.

If they actually killed the Diplomat, who the humans send to negotiate peace... you may be in an endless war.

Edit: Wiki reminds me the Diplomat appears to large fortresses for no purpose.  Same answer as liason, they won't like it, plus they may never declare peace.

V It's only 1AM here (:  Still latearly enough for sleep though. V
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:12:10 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 10, 2010, 01:07:37 am »

Also, the goblins murdered the human diplomat. This means war, doesen't it?

I don't think it's a certainty, but it's pretty likely. Fortunately, if you just kick their ass a few years in a row they might just try and save face by sending another caravan.

--gdmnt. Ninja'd at 2am?!

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 10, 2010, 01:10:21 am »

If the bottom is open... Not sure.
I caped the pipe and at first i thought this was a no brainer but then my pump acess floods with magma. The channels i dug allowed magma to spwan above it makeing it unacessable and unfixable. same thing happens to down stairs when theres 7/7 magma under it in the vent cap.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 10, 2010, 01:54:08 am »

If they killed the Guild Representative, the one who comes with every human caravan and negotiates what you import, then you don't get a replacement and can no longer as the humans for specific goods.
This also angers the humans, like seizing a caravan, though in my experience the other civs are very tolerant so I wouldn't say war is guaranteed.

If they actually killed the Diplomat, who the humans send to negotiate peace... you may be in an endless war.

Edit: Wiki reminds me the Diplomat appears to large fortresses for no purpose.  Same answer as liason, they won't like it, plus they may never declare peace.

V It's only 1AM here (:  Still latearly enough for sleep though. V

The diplomat. The guildmaster survived.

Shit. At least I'll get the meat, metals, and leather I want.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 10, 2010, 02:01:23 am »

Ninja'd at 2am?!

Pro tip: the internet is international.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 10, 2010, 02:11:51 am »

Ninja'd at 2am?!

Pro tip: the internet is international.

Pro tip:  It's 2AM where he is for the whole world too.  :-)

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1349 on: February 10, 2010, 05:00:34 am »

I just got my sig:

Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.

dirt roads clear off mud. Unless you are in Australia I guess... hang, on, Toad is an ozzie, he should know about dirt roads... ???
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 181