Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198544 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1350 on: February 10, 2010, 11:58:19 am »

Ninja'd at 2am?!

Pro tip: the internet is international.

Yeah, silly, I know :P But the forum is generally noticeably slower during my time zone's wee hours, hence the surprise. Rolan actually posted between me hitting Preview and then immediately hitting Post. I suppose I still look silly :D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: February 10, 2010, 01:11:00 pm »

I just got my sig:
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?

Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.

dirt roads clear off mud. Unless you are in Australia I guess... hang, on, Toad is an ozzie, he should know about dirt roads... ???

I know it doesn't really make sense, but hey, anything that grows there is always covered in mud, no matter what, which doesn't quite make sense either.

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 10, 2010, 02:35:37 pm »

Hello, B12F.

Question one:  In regards to Nobles, could I channel a room so it is suspended above a magma pool held up by, say, two squares?  Furthermore, could I then have a dorf channel the last two squares, sending the whole room tumbling into liquid-hot mag-ma?

Question two:  How, exactly, do I link levers to traps?  The wiki says to use mechanisms, and I have plenty, but for some reason the traps will not link to the lever.

And yes, that lever is key to yet another assassination attempt.  Stupid no-life cheese maker...
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 10, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »

Hello, B12F.

Question one:  In regards to Nobles, could I channel a room so it is suspended above a magma pool held up by, say, two squares?  Furthermore, could I then have a dorf channel the last two squares, sending the whole room tumbling into liquid-hot mag-ma?

Question two:  How, exactly, do I link levers to traps?  The wiki says to use mechanisms, and I have plenty, but for some reason the traps will not link to the lever.

And yes, that lever is key to yet another assassination attempt.  Stupid no-life cheese maker...

One: You absolutely can. Keep in mind that cave-ins plus magma causes magma mist, so keep the area well-cordoned off.

Two: You link the levers to the traps from the lever's menu. In the Q menu, aside from being able to order the lever pulled, you can hook them up to all kinds of things, requiring two mechanisms per connection.

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 10, 2010, 02:43:51 pm »

Muahahahahahahaha.

Another question springs to mind:
Can I place a lever in a space beneath a drawbridge, atomsmashing whoever I choose?  How would I be able to do this more than once?
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: February 10, 2010, 03:15:21 pm »

Hi,

1. How can I view my stock of plants and seeds, with some details? the z/stock list give me that I have 60 plants and 30 seeds, but I would like to know more.

2. How can I deconstruct a stairway or a channel... it is possible generally to fill up something excavated (plug the holes)

3. is a door capable of stopping water from coming, can I use them as water locks?

4. in a farm field, I'm proposed with several seeds for a given season... How can I know if I'll have enough of that seed for the entire field? and if I don't have enough, is the rest of the field wasted (as I suppose you can't put several type seeds in the same field)

5. I wanted to mud a cavern to create a farm field... I succeeded but only after creating a channel over the pond, and ask the dwarves to pour buckets into a pond zone restricted to the channel, so that the water fall a level below to the ground. But before, I tried to have the dwarves pour buckets directly into the ground which was defined as a pond to fill and it did not work, why? this amount to the same thing in the end, the water is going to the pond... why it worked only if the buckets were poured to the channel, one level above the pond, I don't understand the logic.

6. how can I tell a dwarf to attack a goblin thief? Say he is a wood cutter and has already an axe, how can I motivate him to run and kill him before he escapes?

that is all, thank for your patience. If only the game had a mouse  support ;)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: February 10, 2010, 03:28:03 pm »

Muahahahahahahaha.

Another question springs to mind:
Can I place a lever in a space beneath a drawbridge, atomsmashing whoever I choose?  How would I be able to do this more than once?

As far as I know you can't build anything in the space a drawbridge occupies when extended once it's been built, and you can't build a bridge to occupy the same space as a lever or any other building (except floors.)

Hi,

1. How can I view my stock of plants and seeds, with some details? the z/stock list give me that I have 60 plants and 30 seeds, but I would like to know more.

2. How can I deconstruct a stairway or a channel... it is possible generally to fill up something excavated (plug the holes)

3. is a door capable of stopping water from coming, can I use them as water locks?

4. in a farm field, I'm proposed with several seeds for a given season... How can I know if I'll have enough of that seed for the entire field? and if I don't have enough, is the rest of the field wasted (as I suppose you can't put several type seeds in the same field)

5. I wanted to mud a cavern to create a farm field... I succeeded but only after creating a channel over the pond, and ask the dwarves to pour buckets into a pond zone restricted to the channel, so that the water fall a level below to the ground. But before, I tried to have the dwarves pour buckets directly into the ground which was defined as a pond to fill and it did not work, why? this amount to the same thing in the end, the water is going to the pond... why it worked only if the buckets were poured to the channel, one level above the pond, I don't understand the logic.

6. how can I tell a dwarf to attack a goblin thief? Say he is a wood cutter and has already an axe, how can I motivate him to run and kill him before he escapes?

1: You need a bookkeeper. Make an office for him (just a 1x2 room with a chair and a table is enough, doesn't have to be decorated or anything) and designate your bookkeeper from the (n)obles screen. You shouldn't need 100% accurate counts of how much food you have until, at the earliest, after your first immigrant wave, though.

2: Down stairways can have floors built over them if you dug them out, or deconstructed (d->n) if you made them out of wood or stone.

3: Yes. Make sure you mark them as forbidden, though.

4: View your stock of seeds with the z menu. They're listed by type in the kitchen and stocks menu.

5: Dwarves will only fill a pond from above so they don't end up drowning themselves. Not that they won't find another way to drown themselves, but they won't do it like that.

6: Draft him. Go to the (m)ilitary screen, select the dwarf you want, hit Enter to draft him. Then hit v to view his squad info, then press t to toggle him to be on duty. Now, once you've done all that, hit Space a few times to get back to the actual playing screen, press x to select squads, and move the cursor over him. He should be selected. Press l to lock onto his squad, then move the cursor to where you want him to go and press s to staion him there. Unless he's in the middle of eating or getting a drink he should head to his station and chase any enemies he sees on the way there.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:55:04 pm by Particleman »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 10, 2010, 03:44:08 pm »

Hi,

1-If you have a record keeper who is keeping records with enough accuracy, you can see it in more detail.

2- to remove up stairways, if they have been build, you need to use the remove construction designation. If they have been mined and are up then they need the "remove up starways/ramps" designation. Otherswise you will need to channel them. A floor can be built over a channeled area, but filling it in requires you to build a wall on the level below.

3-Yes.

4-there is no way of knowing. You cannot have more than one crop per field per season.. Don't worry about it - a 5x5 field will leave you with more food than you will know what to do with.

5-This irritates me, but You can't tell them to empty a bucket straight onto a floor (yet).

6-Non-military dwarves will run away from hostiles. Activate him into the military and he will make short work of the thief. You can deactivate him straight after.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 10, 2010, 04:27:36 pm »

You can't have the bridge land on the lever, and you wouldn't want to -- you'd atomsmash the lever if you could build it that way.  However, bridges raise and lower on a delay, so you could have it RAISE on the only access spaces to the lever, and the hapless lever puller has a decent chance of getting squished when it raises.  The quality of the mechanism appears to affect the delay.

My preference for lethal levers is self-service drowning chambers.  That way it won't atom-smash their stuff.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: February 10, 2010, 07:06:02 pm »

I find it a lot simpler to just have someone pull a lever in a bedroom and lock it.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: February 10, 2010, 07:26:09 pm »

They can still issue mandates while you wait for them to starve while locked in their bedroom.  I prefer resolving problems quickly.  Besides, it's just more fun to drown them.  Or if you don't care about their stuff, let them take a magma bath.  But that means rebuilding all the furniture.

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:15 pm »

They can still issue mandates while you wait for them to starve while locked in their bedroom.  I prefer resolving problems quickly.  Besides, it's just more fun to drown them.  Or if you don't care about their stuff, let them take a magma bath.  But that means rebuilding all the furniture.

Only the bed really... Just make everything else out of iron... and don't engrave the floors...

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 10, 2010, 07:32:39 pm »

Well, I currently have two noble destruction systems. One is a lever on the end of a single-tile-wide platform covered in repeating spikes hooked to another lever. The other is a tiny chamber with a lever that seals the door, and a second lever to flood it.
And a third lever for drainage, naturally.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 10, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »

You can have two types of seed in a field at once, otherwise dwarves wouldn't plant pig tails in summer until all the sweet pods had been harvested. I believe that you can change the plant type halfway through a planting session and have dwarves switch to the new plant, but I'm not 100% sure (I've been playing with modded crops for a while). Try it yourself, it won't hurt anything. :P
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 10, 2010, 10:09:06 pm »

Can you grow tower caps without water? Someone said you can build a farm plot and designate it to grow tower caps...
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 181