Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198576 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1365 on: February 10, 2010, 10:15:11 pm »

Can you grow tower caps without water? Someone said you can build a farm plot and designate it to grow tower caps...

They must have been mistaken. You can grow tower caps with water from a source other than an underground river or pool, but you need to have discovered one of those first to get the water magicks a-flowin'. Farm plots are for plants that don't double as construction material.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: February 10, 2010, 10:23:05 pm »

Drat! I hate building all these cisterns and things...

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: February 10, 2010, 10:26:21 pm »

For a pressure plate, I am working on a system to "catch" all the pets in my fortress... do pressure plates need to be set to have "Citizens trigger" for pets to set it off?  the wiki says "You can pick whether your own citizens will trigger the plate or not. Friendly NPCs (traders ect) count as civilians. Berserk dwarves count as enemies. "

So when they say "civilians" do they mean citizens... and if so I take it that since pets are friendly they count for this as well?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »

Build a tunnel trap. Like this:
Code: [Select]
.WWWWWWW
.DSSSDLW
.WWWWWWW
.=space
W=wall
D=door
S=upright spike
L=lever
Connect the lever to all the upright spikes. Assign the lever to be pulled by someone (q-P on the lever to choose who). Schle will walk to the lever and start pulling it; schler pet will come along. Once you lock the doors, schler pet will be impaled on the spikes.
For the others, butcher them for free meat and bones, which can be turned into bolts.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:44 pm »

For a pressure plate, I am working on a system to "catch" all the pets in my fortress... do pressure plates need to be set to have "Citizens trigger" for pets to set it off?  the wiki says "You can pick whether your own citizens will trigger the plate or not. Friendly NPCs (traders ect) count as civilians. Berserk dwarves count as enemies. "

So when they say "civilians" do they mean citizens... and if so I take it that since pets are friendly they count for this as well?

I'm honestly not sure, but you can work around this altogether by assigning size modifiers to the pressure plates. I can't recall offhand what size dwarves are (maybe 6?), but most animals will be smaller. Plus you might catch some children while you're at it! It's like the petting zoo you can never leave.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: February 10, 2010, 10:48:49 pm »

I'm honestly not sure, but you can work around this altogether by assigning size modifiers to the pressure plates. I can't recall offhand what size dwarves are (maybe 6?), but most animals will be smaller. Plus you might catch some children while you're at it! It's like the petting zoo you can never leave.

Thats what I'm doing for now... I have a smaller than dwarf trap and larger than dwarf trap... have to do it that way cause tehre are some stubborn mules following my dwarves around....

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: February 11, 2010, 01:36:59 am »

thanks everybody for the answers!

About drafting a dwarf in and out of the military regularly (kind of 'minuteman', used only when needed), is there is a drawback or advantages of doing that compared to a permanent soldier? I wonder for example if each time he reverts to civilian there is a kind of 'soldier experience' resetting to zero, etc.

when I draft a dwarf, will he run to equip himself if he don't have what he needs?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: February 11, 2010, 01:40:12 am »

If you draft a dwarf into the military when he has no military skills, it will make him a little sad. Same for undrafting dwarves who have no civilian skills. However, if you make everyone minutemen, and have them have a bit of military skill (while still keeping them happy), you'll be able to draft the entire fortress to fight in an emergency without making them sad, which is a  great thing.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: February 11, 2010, 01:44:01 am »

Also, if one of your minute-men gets too high in military skill, you will not be able to deactivate him. As a stopgap, though, by all means do it.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 11, 2010, 03:00:01 am »

ok makes sense, so at first the dwarf has not military skill, so will be a bit sad... then I wait for him to get some (how do I see that), and I can switch him out to civilian duty... then the next time I need him, as he has experience in military thing, he won't be sad?

Did I get it?

Another question. I created a wall, just for fun. Now I want to put a door (alternatively, an hole) into it, How can I dig/put a door in a wall?

Is it true that big rooms can collapse? Do I need to put single cell walls (aka pillars?) in it?

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: February 11, 2010, 04:37:35 am »

ok makes sense, so at first the dwarf has not military skill, so will be a bit sad... then I wait for him to get some (how do I see that), and I can switch him out to civilian duty... then the next time I need him, as he has experience in military thing, he won't be sad?

Did I get it?

Pretty sure that's right. I tend to have a permanent military, though, so I don't have direct experience. To see if they've gained skill, just check skills like always ('v'iew them and check their skill list) and you should see dabbling wrestler, armor user, shield user, etc.

Another question. I created a wall, just for fun. Now I want to put a door (alternatively, an hole) into it, How can I dig/put a door in a wall?

Doors are objects that take up an empty tile that's adjacent to a wall, so you don't build them into a wall. Order one built at a mason's shop and then 'b'uild the 'd'oor one it's done. (So hit 'b' and then 'd'...I just realized you probably don't know that format considering the questions being asked XD).

To create a hole in a constructed wall, 'd'esignate one of the segments for removal ('n').

Is it true that big rooms can collapse? Do I need to put single cell walls (aka pillars?) in it?

In this version cave-ins only happen if the object/construction/etc is *completely* free-floating. A single support can hold a 20x20x20 cube of rock.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: February 11, 2010, 04:52:31 am »

If I equip an adventurer with a weapon in each hand, will my adventurer actually use them both at the same time, and thus attack twice as many times as opposed to using only one?

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: February 11, 2010, 04:58:41 am »

great answers!

another one, I tried to sell talcs to the caravan (yes I'm poor) but the weight limit prevented me from doing that? Is it normal, that the caravan can't even load a piece of talc? It weighted 800 something (are they pounds?) and the max was 500.

Or caravans get bigger after a while?

What can I sell to them which is easily craftable for a newbie like me :)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1378 on: February 11, 2010, 05:14:22 am »

What can I sell to them which is easily craftable for a newbie like me :)

If you want simple.. Set one of your dwarves to 'stonecrafter' skill. Designate a 'finished goods' pile. Build a craftsdwarf workshop (keys b-w-r) then set it to crank out piles of stone crafts/mugs/instruments/toys. (q-a-g-c/y/m/z) Set it to repeat, and leave the dwarf to it. By the time the next caravan arrives, you'll have a large pile of trade goods. Added bonus, some of the stone cluttering your fort will be cleared away.
There are more profitable things to make for trade, but they involve more work.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1379 on: February 11, 2010, 05:50:39 am »

I "accidentally" let my novice metal/armour/weaponsmith become pretty good at mining.

If he has a strange mood will it trigger on his metal skill or on his mining skill (leading him to become legendary at crafting or masonry)?
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 181