Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 204536 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2145 on: March 20, 2010, 10:58:17 pm »

I see! I only have one kind of cookable item, so that's probably the problem. Thanks!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: March 20, 2010, 11:02:14 pm »

That's either some sort of weird-ass glitch, or you're missing something (like the fact that you might be running low on ingredients to the point that your cook is having trouble scraping together four untasked stacks).

Speaking of weird, I've recently messed around a bit with d19, which was my first distribution of DF without Mayday's modifications. I've long ago read that being able to green- or red-light all types of stone wasn't supposed to be possible in vanilla, but here I'm doing just that in d19. Has this feature been included recently, or am I missing something?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: March 20, 2010, 11:11:34 pm »

I think I had several hundred booze, but people kept stealing them for some reason. I think maybe because I didn't have that many barrels or something (which was weird, because how could I fit so much booze into a few barrels?). Anyway, the cook would carry a barrel of booze to the kitchen and then go to get another one, and while he was moving maybe 10 tiles to get another barrel some drunkard would swing by and steal his booze, and he'd cancel the project.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: March 20, 2010, 11:29:36 pm »

It makes sense that if you only have relatively few barrels of booze (you said you had several hundred, which isn't a lot, especially if you're also cooking with booze), that your cook will run out of non-tasked booze to use for his meals, since most of them are likely to be drunk from at any given time.

I recommend using mainly dwarven syrup and/or quarry bush leaves for prepared meals. As long as you have adequate surpluses of barrels or bags respectively, it requires little micromanagement. Also, unless you're playing with the economy on and need cheap food, I recommend only cooking lavish meals. Each serving (not to mention the whole stack, obviously) is more valuable and the stacks are more compact, meaning you'll fit far more lavish meals than easy ones in a given stockpile.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: March 20, 2010, 11:31:38 pm »

Okay, thanks!

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:15 pm »

So is there a way to make a weapon do two types of damage without increasing the damage it does in total?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 12:17:21 am by Particleman »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 21, 2010, 12:36:44 am »

That's either some sort of weird-ass glitch, or you're missing something (like the fact that you might be running low on ingredients to the point that your cook is having trouble scraping together four untasked stacks).

Huh, you're right.  I tested just now and I was mistaken, I made roasts just fine with only one type of ingredient (delicious strawberry wine) available.  Sorry about that Cheddarius!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 21, 2010, 12:54:55 am »

So is there a way to make a weapon do two types of damage without increasing the damage it does in total?

Nobody seems to have any idea, but if you modded a weapon type as you proposed earlier, you might be able test that in adventure mode. For all I know, you might not even get any meaningful results, but that's probably better than waiting idly for someone to come up with something.

I tested just now and I was mistaken, I made roasts just fine with only one type of ingredient (delicious strawberry wine) available. 

Yeah, it pretty much must have been like that, because I've never experienced any persistent problems with cooking out of homogeneous ingredients and could have produced screen shots of roasts made entirely out of syrup as evidence. Your problem was most likely caused by an intermittent shortage of non-tasked ingredients, as I believe has been mentioned earlier.

Torpid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:00 am »

Had a strange occurrence just now, I got a message that one of my dwarves cancels job due to hunting vermin, and on the units screen his job is "hunting small creature", and none of my dwarves are set to hunt anything. Then it happens to another dwarf, and I notice both of them in the main hallway and look like their fighting, kept ramming into each other and a third dwarf joined in briefly, but there is no creature anywhere. I checked their status and they were both listed as starving, then I started getting messages about them not being able to eat because they couldn't path to the food. Meanwhile my other dwarves were doing their daily routines and having no problems getting food. A couple minutes later they just stopped whatever it was they were doing and went straight to the dining room. As I type this the game is paused and their both in there eating.

Any ideas as to what was going on? Just a random fight between two dwarves? Never seen anything like that, but this is only my 4th or 5th fortress.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 21, 2010, 02:01:50 am »

For some reason those dwarves were unable to access your food stockpile. I guess the problem solved itself.

They might've been trapped behind a bit of masonry that you later undid. That's a pretty frequent cause for mysterious starvation.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 21, 2010, 02:17:08 am »

To elaborate, your dwarves hunted vermin because they were starving. Dwarves will try to eat rats and such if there is no food available.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 21, 2010, 04:49:22 am »

Speaking of weird, I've recently messed around a bit with d19, which was my first distribution of DF without Mayday's modifications.

Mayday's comes with catmouth and the all stones economic mod, which lets you red/green all stone types by making a fake reaction that references them. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 21, 2010, 11:57:36 am »

Speaking of weird, I've recently messed around a bit with d19, which was my first distribution of DF without Mayday's modifications.

Mayday's comes with catmouth and the all stones economic mod, which lets you red/green all stone types by making a fake reaction that references them. 

Which is why I considered it weird that my supposedly vanilla distribution of d19 listed all types of stone in my z->stones menu, even though I've read that it would only do so for flux and ores (if I even remember that correctly).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:18 pm »

Speaking of weird, I've recently messed around a bit with d19, which was my first distribution of DF without Mayday's modifications. I've long ago read that being able to green- or red-light all types of stone wasn't supposed to be possible in vanilla, but here I'm doing just that in d19. Has this feature been included recently, or am I missing something?

It's not been included, I'm positive.  I download and ran d19 (I use d16) and started up a fortress, and only the normal economic stones were available in the economic stones list.  I also checked the raws and there was no CAT_MOUTH body part, so the cat-mouth glitch hasn't been fixed either.  This matches the thread, which suggests that there have been no gameplay changes, though I wasn't sure fixing the cat-mouth glitch would count as a gameplay change exactly.

Are you sure you unzipped to a seperate folder?  I haven't used Mayday's version, but if it installed a shortcut or something you shouldn't use that anymore.  That's all I can think of.

Edit: I only tried the windows version, in case that matters.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:05:54 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 21, 2010, 01:07:24 pm »

I've unpacked it into a new folder all right. I have several other distributions of Mayday's DFG both packed and unpacked on my disk, but that shouldn't influence my supposedly vanilla DF, unless that stone mod modifies the registry or something.

EDIT:

I figured it out now. In fact, it was so obvious that I'm embarrassed it took me so long.

It didn't occur to me that this stone mod was in the raws, and I've imported said raws from an earlier version in order to use my own modifications.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:12:24 pm by assimilateur »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 181