Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 198685 times)

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The 40d Little Questions Thread
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »

Here's a thread for all the little questions that were too small to make their own threads for. And as an excuse to make a thread to ask this. :P

I always wondered; does butchering baby animals yield less meat and bone than butchering the adults? I've always just killed things as they pop out in fear of catsplosion or donkeysplosion or whatever animal they might be, but I'm thinking twice now that I'm breeding giant scorpions and eagles.

edit: Some people want to leave this as a 40d questions thread, and since there is a 2010 question thread here, we can go with that.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:40:14 am by ThreeToe »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:19:20 pm »

Im pretty sure the only difference between adult and non-adult animals are just that. Name. They should be equal, seeing as how you can just remove the baby tag and voila! instantly adult animals when born...
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:32:07 pm »

The wiki says different.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 10:35:16 pm »

Really now? I cant seem to find a yes or no anywhere on the wiki. Link please?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:43:51 pm »

2/3 bones, meat and fat, rounded up.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 10:57:45 pm »

Baby animals do, in fact, give less parts. Wait for them to mature, THEN kill them!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:20:46 am »

Wonderful, thanks for the info!

And don't forget this thread can be used for other little questions that others might have, too. :)

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 01:06:32 am »

Baby animals do, in fact, give less parts. Wait for them to mature, THEN kill them!

Unless they are cats, or in this case kittens, then you butcher them right away and make mittens!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 03:45:37 am »

Wait for them to mature, THEN kill them!

With cats and puppies you only lose 1 to the stack, so the wait might not be worth it.  Takes a dwarf-size critter or better to lose 2 to the stack iirc.

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:25:14 am »

I'd say especially cats, unless you want to murder your quadruple legendary x when one random kitten "adopts" it. It's really not a whole lot of food for the risk/effort.

Small question! What sort of wealth is required to get megabeast attacks in a fortress?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 06:37:17 am »

No idea, haven't had a megabeast attack. I'd figure many millions.

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 07:55:05 am »

i had a dragon attack me once in a not so good fortress and a hydra in a well working but not that rich fortress. population was 100+ in both so that point may be valid.

relevant parts from the wiki:
The type of megabeast appears to be random, but the timing may not be. A certain wealth or a population of around 100 may trigger one...depending on what has survived world generation.
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 08:07:42 am »

May be population that's holding me back then, I've never gone to 100 yet.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 05:22:30 pm »

Regarding the megabeasts, I got my first titan invader about a season after the king came. About 150 dwarves and 400-450 million dorfbucks. I'd just go by what the wiki said, I guess.

I've got another question. I'm preparing to strike the HFS pit and was carving out fortifications when I wondered something. If I have to fortification walls parallel to each other and marksdwarves shooting through both sides, will I have to worry about my marksdwarves missing and hitting other dwarves on the other side? And if war dogs are in the same tunnel, will I have to worry about them getting hit with friendly fire?

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 05:28:36 pm »

I'm fairly confident friendly fire only happens with ballistae.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 181