Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203987 times)

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #480 on: December 22, 2009, 02:38:56 am »

also, is there a way to review a trade agreement after the liaison has left so a scatterbrain can remember exactly *what* he needs to make to benefit himself the most? ::)

Sadly, no. I used to take screenshots of the trade agreements before I stopped caring about them :P

I'm still curious as to whether dwarves will adopt pets regardless of proximity, i.e. a dwarf adopting a donkey locked in a room in the deep forbidden depths of the fort.
HE LIEES.
LIIIIEEEEESSSS.

you can do it.
Press c, then highlight the civ you want to see your trade agreement with. then enter.
then continue on pressing tab till you get to the exports and imports agreement, make it so the exports are at the top of the screen then press enter.
Walla, what the liason wants!
if you do imports you can see what you ordered aswell.

I assume from what you're saying is that a given mason will prefer a stockpile filled with economic stone to a hunk of granite just sitting around?
no i mean this...
Code: [Select]
###########
#SSSSS#####
#SSSSS#####
#SSSSS.WWW#
#SSSSS#WWWD
#SSSSS#WWW#
###########
# is wall
S is stockpile with what stone you want in it or what ever.
. is dug out tile without anything on it.
W is masons workshop
D is LOCKED DOOR (a.k.a forbiddin door)

This FORCES the mason to use the stone thats set in the stockpile as he has no where else to go to collect stone.
Also make it so it isnt economic or w/e, i mean make it so its green not red highlighted.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 02:42:13 am by silhouette »
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 22, 2009, 03:43:15 am »

Are prisoners adults? Or are they children, too?

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 22, 2009, 05:47:13 am »

Firstly, having huge herds of stray watevers bogs the FPS down immensely. If I want to do this, I'll need to pit them somewhere that prevents pathing. I know animals will still try to path through forbidden doors, but will they path through closed flood gates?

They try to path through pet-impassable doors, not forbidden. Anything that would stop a dwarf stops their pathing.

Secondly is pet issues. If I keep the livestock locked in a remote part of the fortress, will I still have to worry about dwarves other than the butcher adopting them? Or do they just sense that the animal is there and claim it like with spore breeding?

Animals have to be explicitly designated as adoptable before they can be adopted as pets. You don't have to worry about your fortress adopting your beef. Cats are a special exception.

I've never actually designated animals for adoption, so I don't know how far away it works.

Lastly is if there are pets, can they be pitted like other animals?

You can't pit pets.

drop pads require the dwarves to walk down ten Z levels to retrieve the meat (or up ten levels to drop them).

Ten z-levels down is exactly as far as ten tiles to the left. Making use of that fact is useful for efficient fortress layout.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 22, 2009, 02:52:51 pm »

also, is there a way to review a trade agreement after the liaison has left so a scatterbrain can remember exactly *what* he needs to make to benefit himself the most? ::)

Nope. However, there's no point once you get a fey stonecrafter and bonecrafter, and maybe even a clothier.
You can basically just pile on the cinnabar mugs encrusted with semi-precious gems, goblin skull totems decorated with the bones of the fish you bought off last year's caravan, and plant fiber trinkets you made from the cloth the elves left behind when they mysteriously drowned. They don't care either way.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 22, 2009, 03:43:02 pm »

At a certain distance from a wild animal/invader, dwarves will cancel their task and run away.

does anybody know this distance?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 22, 2009, 03:52:30 pm »

Its usually within 10 squares, possibly further than that for hostile critters.

Dwarves often tend to get within a few tiles of a critter before cancelling and occasionally end up pratically right next to the critter before cancelling. Sometimes they will even walk right past without noticing.

It should be easily testable with a chained marmot or something.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 22, 2009, 04:43:12 pm »

For my training area with captured invaders, I had to built my siege engines a minimum of 20 tiles away, which incidentally is about the range when my crossbow dwarves can open fire on an enemy.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 23, 2009, 03:28:11 am »

(c)iv screen, relevant civ, tab tab, profit.

Inyssius

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIPLOMATTACK:SPINERATOR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 23, 2009, 05:27:21 am »

I guess my question slipped through the cracks, or else nobody here knows if it's possible. Just in case it's the former, I'll repost it:

I want to embark in a location with ludicrously fatal weather part of the time. Like, a temperate winter and a thermonuclear summer. Can the game be modded to do this?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 23, 2009, 06:41:28 am »

I want to embark in a location with ludicrously fatal weather part of the time. Like, a temperate winter and a thermonuclear summer. Can the game be modded to do this?
Its possible, there was a fort awhile back that had a summer like that. You have to kick up the setttings in in world_gen and mess with the variance, and hopefully the civs won't die out during world gen.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 23, 2009, 06:50:27 am »

Will magma melt/destroy a locked rock hatch if it flows over it?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 23, 2009, 06:53:31 am »

It should.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:53 am »

1) My fort can now support a noble. The wiki was helpful as to their function, but my questions is, do I really need one at all? Will my dwarves misbehave more if I don't have one?

2) Magma safe questions: I have heard that not everything needs to be bauxite for the thing to work right. Suppose I wanted a functioning floodgate (not just a  permanent lava block). I would need 1 floodgate, 1 mechanism for the lever, and 2 mechanisms for the linking. Which of these would need to be bauxite for the floodgate to open and close in and around magma?

Thanks!

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 23, 2009, 11:41:24 am »

Will a raised drawbridge stop magma?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 23, 2009, 11:44:11 am »

Will a raised drawbridge stop magma?

Yes, even if it is not magma safe.  The problems arise when you lower the bridge and magma occupies the same space.  Then the bridge will deconstruct if it or its mechanism are not magma safe.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 181