Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Money Challenge!  (Read 19468 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Money Challenge!
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:05:31 pm »

Heres a money challenge, but with a twist! you have to reach the highest money amount possible in 3 years without digging valuable stone or gem (unicorn totem galore) and you cant turn off seiges. That means no metal,stone,glass and gem items and you can only dig into the soil layer. Good Luck!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Money Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »

You can still make glass.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:29:43 pm »

Is trading allowed?  What about exposed magma pipes or HFS (for the architectural value of the clown room)?
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »

Trading is allowed but you can't dig past the soil layer and no glass.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

Basically import lots of aluminum or native aluminum to smelt over an exposed magma pipe. Also make lots and lots of syrup roasts and then makes some more syrup roasts.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:06:02 pm »

Don't bother with the aluminum; you can't import enough to make a difference.  Syrup roasts are the way to go.  You've got grower/grower/thresher/thresher/cook/cook/everything else, and you build everything right next to eachother underground in the soil.  Need some way to avoid your dwarves eating the syrup roasts, but other than that, you're set.

Clothing could work if you had access to a large amount of giant cave spider silk.  You could also have a legendary clothier and dyer working on goblin stuff...but by the time you were getting sieges, Mr. Syrup Roast would already have millions of dwarfbucks.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »

Agreed that food is the way to go. Food values are absurd right now. Just embark with a bunch of proficient farmers, a proficient plant processor and one cook. Bring, oh, thirty sweet pod seeds, and as much wood as you can carry (because wood is lighter than the stone and can make many things that stone can't...though you should bring a few units of stone for making mechanisms). Use the wood to wall yourself in, make a bridge for access, and make some beds, then dedicate everyone to farming, cooking, and hauling roasts. It's just a shame you can't prevent seed hauling without also preventing roast hauling.

The only real question here is if it's better to train your cook up on easy meals to start out, or if you should make roasts only.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 03:44:56 pm »

Did some of you even read the first post? I said no metal,stone,glass and gem items.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 05:05:10 pm »

That basically whittles down your options to these, ordered in roughly what I think their total value would be, best to worst:

* Stuffing a crapton of camel milk into four barrels, cooking them all as soon as you arrive, and calling it good.
 * Farming for food, cooking it, and selling the meals.
 * Farming for cloth and dye, and making clothing (or embark somewhere with a chasm and do silk, but that's harder to regulate)
 * Embarking somewhere with sand and an exposed magma pipe and doing a glass-based economy (requires bringing the fire-safe materials to make furnaces with you)
 * Bringing a hunter, and building an economy based on his kills (better hope you never run out of bone bolts)
 * Bringing a bunch of tame animals and building an economy based on butchering them
 * Embarking somewhere with a crapton of trees and making a wood-based economy

I'm sure I've missed some approaches, but things get pretty marginal fast, and the difference between the best approaches and the worst ones is huge.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 05:14:46 pm »

Did some of you even read the first post? I said no metal,stone,glass and gem items.
Syrup is not metal, glass, stone or gem. It is food.

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 05:15:19 pm »

* Embarking somewhere with a crapton of trees and making a wood-based economy
Isn't that called the Elf challenge or something?
"Oooh... Nice beard on that one..."
I know when you said 'beard' you were probably referring to the hair growing on the dwarf's face, but... AGH... MY EYES...!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 05:35:49 pm »

I suspect an elf challenge would not involve a massive lumberjack organization.

Byrac

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOYAH!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 05:38:59 pm »

But you are still making everything out of wood, like an Elf.
"Oooh... Nice beard on that one..."
I know when you said 'beard' you were probably referring to the hair growing on the dwarf's face, but... AGH... MY EYES...!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 06:10:13 pm »

Wrong, you are making everything out of the corpses of trees you slew. Elves get wood by... worshipping the tree? Infusing it with magic until it makes them some wood? Anyway, the elf way is retarded and the dwarven way is bad-ass.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 06:18:54 pm »

The elves sing the wood from the tree, though popular myth says that they get it from...less savory means.
Me, I belive that they beat on the tree with sticks and sing elf songs ("lalalalala la 'Cause he won't kiss de grass" comes to mind) until it coughs up whatever they need. so they rape the tree with their vocal cords, or with large, pointy elf wood. eugh.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: [1] 2