Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblins VS Everything - v0.7 - Now with 30 elf subraces to kill!  (Read 4009 times)

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins VS Everything - v0.7 - Now with 30 elf subraces to kill!
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:21:46 am »

Goblins VS Everything
The world is scary when you're a goblin. So **** the world.
No farming! No peace treaties! No trap spamming! Goblins only! Final destination.

Download version 0.7 here!
There are now thirty additional wildlife creatures ... all of which are elves, for your killing pleasure. The full list is in the changelog, but you have everything from half-elves to oneandahalf-elves, flitter-elves to soggy-elves, and naturally dwarf-elves show up as well. They're ... fairly different in terms of abilities and danger, and appear in varied biomes less commonly than other wildlife. Oh, and there's also one new civilisation - knobgoblins, who are basically bigger, eviler yous. They use cold/bludgeoning weapons and thick clothing, steal babies and attack with evil animals.

For those interested, the elven wildlife are stored in their own txt file and are (I think) independent of other changes, so can be easily copied and pasted into your own mod setup.

Mod Overview
------------
Sadly, playing as everything is not possible, which leaves you with the weak, nasty little GOBLINS. Rapid aging and slow skill gain gives your fort an epic, generational feel as you struggle to survive and grow; without farming, hiding away isn't an option anymore. It's not all bad though; you're apt at scouring out resources like sand or flux as well as elemental crystallite, can mine dirty nuclear power and trade slaves, or even stumble across ancient dwarven ruins. Taming and slowly training a myriad of creatures into superbeasts for hunting or protection comes naturally too. This is good, because EVERYONE WANTS TO KILL YOU.

Humans are smarter and laugh at your crude traps and locks. Elves are crazier and draw wildlife around them when popping up with chainsaws. Dwarves are tougher and carrying handheld magma canons. Kobolds are, well, kobolds are deader but at least zombies are slow, right? And those are before the new civilisations, including lazy brethern tearing down buildings in search of free food, gremlins poking around and causing mischief, valiant and mishmashed beastmen farmers whose complex bodies and abilities make arduous to kill, criminals who MIGHT let you join their black market once you're rich enough, blatantly overpowered endgame wizards, and ... something slithering and sloppy who just want to be 'friends'. Even the wildlife are more troublesome.

Are you ready to see the world through a goblin's eye?

Full Changelog And Descriptions
-------------------------------
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ACTUAL USER TESTIMONIALS!*
-----------------------------
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*The author does technically use his own product.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:00:34 pm by OneMoreNameless »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins VS Everything - v0.5 - Testers wanted!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:35:44 am »

Hmm. Sounds interesting enough to try. Although to say it brutally honest, at the moment I see this like, kobolds who were given green skin. But regardless, test I shall.

First thing I noticed: All the megabeast end up dead really really fast even in a large world. Like, 90 years, all are dead within 30 years. I'd try doubling their size, the damblock might be enough at the moment.

Well, that aside, time to embark and make a stone tower from whatever is the first stone I hit. Here's to hoping it ain't microcline.

EDIT: To the megabeast thing, just saying. I guess it's up to each person whether they want to have some horrible beasts that are always around, roaming the world, and up the size and damblock accordingly. Checking 'em out, they seem... interesting, so having them survive worldgen and show up to murder all my gobbos would be fun. Also, that spacehog has an agetag. A really really short age-tag, so that's one MB that vanishes due to natural selection. I hope that one day, MB's can breed though. Like at a decreased rate than normal critters, but enough to keep some population up without making 'em into superrare wildness roamers. In the current version I mean. YEAH TEST TIME ANYWAY.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:16:25 am by Ieb »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:27:39 am »

Green skin? Goblins are gray.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:09:44 am »

Green skin? Goblins are gray.
Not in my imagination.
Meh.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 07:56:15 am »

Heh, we talk about Slaves to Armok, and they are gray there. Anyway, you may imagine elfs with beards and dwarves drinking water for fun, it's a personal taste :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 08:05:02 am »

Heh, we talk about Slaves to Armok, and they are gray there. Anyway, you may imagine elfs with beards and dwarves drinking water for fun, it's a personal taste :).

Actually in Dwarf Talk 4 Toady agreed that they are green, didn't he?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:33:30 am »

What? You made him think so? I told about the only game where I actually SAW goblins, it was the first Slaves to Armok.

I am pretty sure that you can make Toady think by constant lorebreaking attacks that goblins are green and kobolds are lizard-like or like puppies, but is it right? :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:17:45 pm »

Unobtainium?

Interesting mod, to say the least, quite fun. ;D

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 02:36:57 pm »

I settled in a good area. It's now summer, and I'm down three gobbos, with a fourth injured. You're a freaking psycho.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 02:57:09 pm »

Couldn't you play as a goblin in some other mod? I believe it also allowed you to have slaves, and you can also make *Elf Slave Biscuits* and other things out of slaves.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 03:10:24 pm »

Well, this one has some... interesting... toys. I've seen My little Torture Rack and Daddy's secret stash, as examples.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 03:14:45 pm »

Yeah, there were a few good goblin mods before, it is inevitable, but it doesn't mean there can't be more :). I am sure all of them have their "features".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 03:42:56 pm »

Well so far so good... although with lava and water flowing and 167 Gobbos and 200+ war animals FPS is down to a sluglike 35 fps. No native ores on my map that I have found, but the river is giving me plenty of silk. still haven't flooded my tree farm area yet... waiting on water atm. 3-4th year into it. and my magma forges are not quite powered... (lava's been flowing for a year and only now just hitting 4)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins VS Everything - v0.51 - Testers wanted!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 09:33:15 pm »

I've uploaded a new version that fixes a few small errors and oversights. Details are in the first post. You'll need to gen a new world to use it, but since the only major problem was that one new civ couldn't show up, updating isn't vital if you've already started a fort.

AND NOW FOR ANECDOTES!

- The first year of my fort wasn't too exiting. I'd embark on untamed wilds, 2/3 forest and 1/3 mountain. An ettin wandering into my entryway was a little disconcerting but a goblin hunter managed to knock it out almost instantly using sticks/stones. A couple of foxes lingered around my refuse pile for a while until I chased them away. Eh. I enlist the hunters into the military once to chase a giant eagle just to see if it would explode like it was supposed to, but they couldn't keep up and barely scratched it before running out of stones.
- I'm not sure every single gremlin should be wielding an unobtanium dagger, but okay, at least you've got a reason to chase them down when you spot them? It may very well defeat the purpose if dwarves eventually start coming dressed entirely in unobtanium plate mail, mind you. If nothing else, I did have a single gremlin fight back and kill a peasant pretty much instantly when discovered.
- The first sloblin siege came in my 3rd year, with 41 population. There were twelve of them, and four (awake) of my goblins with iron flails and some iron armour. One of my goblins died and two were injurred, but I'm pretty sure that was less to do with the sloblins and more to do with him getting knocked into an incomplete deep pit trap. On the upside, I know that their green blood works!
- Once the goblins started having kids, the population starting really booming. Hopefully this is counteracted by goblins dying of old age eventually (I haven't played far enough to test that yet) or I might need to turn it down.
- My fort has a very high level of food supplies (500+) for only 2 fishers and 2-3 hunters. Cooking the food and eating the bones probably helps this, and I imported some meat from the first few caravans (are they USUALLY pulled through the brook?) On the flipside, I have seen a few goblins unhappy from being caught in the rain / snow all the time or occasionally having their pets or friends die.
- This has nothing to do with anything, but I LOVE my sand trap. It's just a tall tower (with underground access) that has a tile of of constructed floor and a grate sticking out. Building another constructed floor out from the grate automatically collapses it into my entryway and knocks out anyone nearby. The only time I tested it the mason fell to his death as well, but still, WORTH IT.
- First elf ambush was rather lackluster. Wood chainsaws don't sound that impressive at all, I might up their base attack in a future release. The ambushers killed a beak dog, but my goblins got inside in time and the elves were all scared off by the troll I had tied out the front. But that's okay, because humans seiged about one game day later. After a long period of them failing to starve me out (while I made some steel, finished a mood, noticed there was a dehydrating goblin caught outside and quickly let him in, you know, the usual) they attacked, demolished the troll and, due once again to the poorly planned pit keeping them out, started shooting down through the empty space and into my idling civilians. Needless to say, the pit was closed and military rushed out rather quickly. Fun times.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:57:31 pm by OneMoreNameless »

OneMoreNameless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins VS Everything - v0.6 - Slaves, traps, and other fun things!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:27 pm »

Version 0.6 is done. Slaves and other fun stuff are included, and a fairly important bug fix regarding beastmen. (To make them healthy without requiring a regeneration, replace '[CON:LB]' with '[CON:HIP]' under beastybody in body_default.txt)

Life is a poison and DF is my ANECDOTES:

- Elf ambushes are kind of scary. Elf ambushes that bring along unicorns, bears and wolves with one elf are scarier. Although that probably says something about how scary the elves themselves are, but the point is, things you do not want to hear #75 is: "Ozud Ostastosmu, Fisherman cancels Give Water: Interrupted by Grizzly Bear." O_o Also, "An ambush! Curse them! x9" Goblins did okay, but there are dead animals EVERYWHERE and the grizzly bear wrecked my archery range.
- So as I mentioned in a previous anecdote, humes managed to snipe at some civilian goblins. One of those was a furnace operator who ended with a bad wound in his right lung. It is now a good year since then, and he's STILL walking around wounded and unhindered. Only pansies need two lungs!
- Okay, I can confirm it now; giant eagles DO explode on death. As I found out when one flapped into my barracks and was subsequently killed by a champion wrestler / swordsman when I wasn't looking. The first thing I hear is that Damsto Stasostaslex has died in the heat. At least nothing else caught fire, which actually kind of disappointed me.
- I don't even GET migrants anymore, I just quintuplets. Lots of them. Doing nothing. By the time I reached my cap of 120, about 1/3 were babies. Two years of growing up could not come sooner. Particularly when you have a dozen or so of them crawling around during a large siege and the mother is miserable that one or two get killed while she's trying to HAVE A NAP DURING IT. And taking our your frustration by smashing apart the only traps between you and everything ISN'T GOING TO HELP. Could you, just, hold your breath when dashing through the miasma storm raging outside now? Please?
- On the 16th Malachite, 6, Olngo Ngebzorekusm, Peasant died of old age. And thus the cycle begins. I AM GOING TO NEED MORE COFFINS.
Pages: [1] 2