Poll

Do you savescum?

Whenever I feel like it
- 65 (33.7%)
Only to correct bugs and other alpha-related occurances
- 27 (14%)
Almost never
- 57 (29.5%)
Losing is fun and savescuming is cheating!
- 44 (22.8%)

Total Members Voted: 193

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Do you savescum?  (Read 6000 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you savescum?
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2009, 10:15:33 pm »

I have never EVER savescummed. Because losing is the best part ;D

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2009, 09:02:28 am »

I've just encountered another situation in which I feel it's justified:

When the Elves arrived this year, they brought a female giant eagle, something I've been longing for. I quickly purchased it and went back to work to cast the final level of my obsidian tower (had to build a bunch of raising bridges along the edge of the mold, since you can't construct walls at the top Z-level). Once it was done, the water was taking forever to evaporate, so I pulled the lever to lower the bridges and let the water drain off the sides. BOOM - the game instantly crashes, and I'm dropped back to the beginning of the season. Without. My. Giant. Eagle.

I feel that, in this situation, I'm entitled to savescum the Elven caravan's arrival until they bring my giant eagle again.

I guess this falls under the "other alpha-related occurances" category.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2009, 10:25:34 am »

I'm a sandbox player, and I like to make big experimental things. If some unexpected thing ruins months of my work, I'll savescum in a heartbeat.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2009, 04:53:14 pm »

But if they climb out a tiny service tunnel I forgot, well, I might pull up the Task Manager.

"God damn it, I spent YEARS building that god damned Death Star!" *ctrl alt del*

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 09:26:04 pm »

I keep reading this thread for reasons not entirely clear to myself.  One thing I note is that DF's challenges are largely self-imposed.  Simply getting a fortress to survive is not typically horribly difficult.  My first ever fortress did just fine right up to 120+ dwarves in 7 dwarf years before I got tired of it because I was going to have to find a solution to a water problem in order to preserve my favorite dwarves, and there did not appear to be an underground river on my map. 

So I made a map with everything I wanted and in year 7, though much less populated, it too is pretty much on auto pilot.

It's when you start to try to achieve a specific goal that the game gets challenging, and then it depends on what it is that entertains you about that goal as to whether or not saving is the option for you.

Like a lot of people, my goals tend to orbit around discovering how to manage portions of the game, since I am early in my DF addiction.  As such it does me no good to savescum.  Something bad happening is when my fun actually starts.  I then set about figuring out how to recover.

Wiki really flattens the learning curve too.  Heck, these forums flatten it a lot as well.  I can't imagine how anyone played this game prior to the wiki though.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2009, 03:28:18 am »

I don't savescum anymore. I use autosave to protect against crashes, but generally, when my fort goes to hell, I just abandon, delete all of the saves, and generate a new world.

...This happens frequently.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2009, 06:54:22 am »

I never savescum... I did save the game sometimes before pulling a lever that could either kill a whole goblin siege or large parts of my dwarven population, depending on whether everything worked as planned. But even when everything goes wrong, I never reload. It's just too much Fun to watch the tantrum spirals and sometimes, very, very rarely save a fort from seemingly unevitable doom.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2009, 09:23:40 am »

Well decorated jail and fully manned guard seems to stop tantrum spirals. 

Some day I wonder if I will discover even the nobles have a purpose?  My first castle I avoided having a guard, but when the hammerer shows up ...

So you have no guard, you have your hammerer locked away in a  room that you drop food and booze in...  I have not tried this solution yet.  Full democracy -- can dwarves really handle it?

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2009, 11:06:48 am »

I just abandon, delete all of the saves, and generate a new world.

...This happens frequently.

This is the true save scum for true dwarfs.  Anything else is left to the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]