Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: So, let me get this straight. In order to get Toady to stop getting paid to...  (Read 20594 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Annnnd you're angry because people choose to donate their money?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Considering milking is already part of the game, it'd be a 5 minute job to implement it.

And adding things like tissue modeling is insane when the game itself has serious issues that need to be addressed before adding to its bulk- and even that shouldn't have been taking nearly as long as it has.

I mean honestly, the performance it gets is completely unacceptable.

Wow, I didn't realize you were so conversant with his code. Maybe you should take over and add milking yourself, if you're so eager to get your hands on some udders.

What 'serious issues' are you referring to? I play the game just fine, and don't experience any performance issues even in my 200 year max-population fort.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally, I'd think anyone getting MORE MONEY would keep doing what they're doing.
And guess what Toady's doing? Working his ass off coding Dwarf Fortress to get this update done. You know why? Because this is his job. If he stops on DF, then people will (partially) stop donating. Therefore, no income.

I can't believe that you actually think Toady is just sitting on his ass doing nothing, when he's actually adding many new features and fixes. Seriously. Just go look at the list thread and you'll see what he's been doing.

(ninja'd about 5 times writing this -.-)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

(ninja'd about 5 times writing this -.-)

You must type faster, grasshopper. :)

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Considering milking is already part of the game, it'd be a 5 minute job to implement it.

And adding things like tissue modeling is insane when the game itself has serious issues that need to be addressed before adding to its bulk- and even that shouldn't have been taking nearly as long as it has.

I mean honestly, the performance it gets is completely unacceptable.

Wow, I didn't realize you were so conversant with his code. Maybe you should take over and add milking yourself, if you're so eager to get your hands on some udders.

What 'serious issues' are you referring to? I play the game just fine, and don't experience any performance issues even in my 200 year max-population fort.

If his code can't be reused to milk different kinds of animals, he has serious design issues well beyond anything I've noticed.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

If his code can't be reused to milk different kinds of animals, he has serious design issues well beyond anything I've noticed.

You can do a lot better than this.  Come on, you're not going to convince anybody that you actually care about milking.  At least talk about how you're completely certain that farming/crossbows/sieges could be fixed with 30 seconds of work.  Stick to the classic troll topics!

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who cares?  If you don't agree with how he's running the project, don't donate.  Simple as that.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can do a lot better than this.  Come on, you're not going to convince anybody that you actually care about milking.  At least talk about how you're completely certain that farming/crossbows/sieges could be fixed with 30 seconds of work.

I'm just using it as an example about the tons and tons and tons of things that really COULD be fixed almost immediately. Look through the list of outstanding issues sometimes, its atrocious how many things are labelled "future" as if they were somehow currently unnattainable

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Who cares?  If you don't agree with how he's running the project, don't donate.  Simple as that.

I'm not donating. But I'm also expressing an opinion (and disbelief) about those that are.

Now, I don't care if you want to donate on your own. But organizing a pledge drive to support something you've come out and said you don't like?

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So some people are generous. I know its the internet, but people still can be nice.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So some people are generous. I know its the internet, but people still can be nice.

This isn't about generosity. These people are donating for a purpose.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

You can do a lot better than this.  Come on, you're not going to convince anybody that you actually care about milking.  At least talk about how you're completely certain that farming/crossbows/sieges could be fixed with 30 seconds of work.

He's right though.  Extracting things from creatures should be in the raws/editable via workshop jobs.   It might be in this upcoming release even, and if it isn't it should be. 

I don't think that donating/not donating is going to have any effect on the current release cycle.   Toady's been pretty clear about what his goals are, what he's working on.  He doesn't need a reminder of what his fanbase desires.  While a donation drive for Toady is groovy and all, I just don't see it being effective as anything other than a symbolic type of deal.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Dude, be patient.  It's a very complex game, and he's programming it largely by himself.  Not being able to millk cows really isn't that big of an issue - and it's a much more difficult thing to deal with than you'd think, if you knew just why vermin milking worked (it only works because vermin work like items, and can be carried and used in reactions.  A system using actual creatures could be extremely difficult).  Besides, even Toady isn't too happy with the pace of things.  Right now he's rushing to wrap up this update as quick as he can, and I might add that it fixes a large number of issues.  If you like, anyone who has been checking the dev page on a daily basis can provide you with a list.

Also remember that this is a free game, and that he's doing it because he wants to make the game, not for the profit.  If he was in it for the money, it'd cost money.

As for your question, it's too encourage Toady.  It has been, as others have said, a long time since the last update - people are getting very impatient with him and, at times, are even outright insulting him.  That sort of thing is fairly discouraging, and probably doesn't help him get things done any faster.  I know that if there's negative pressure on me I don't work nearly as well.

Edit: and please, slow down here.  There were 4 replies between the first time I clicked the 'post' button and the second time I did so - 13 between the beginning of typing and the first click.  I actually had to click four times.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:11:07 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This isn't about generosity. These people are donating for a purpose.

But they dont have to. They're doing it because either they want to donate, or they want Toady to live easier, or some other reason.

That says to me, generosity.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, you know what? Show of hands here- how many people in this topic have any REAL programming experience?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15