Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: So, let me get this straight. In order to get Toady to stop getting paid to...  (Read 21362 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Passive-aggressive prodding at the 300-pound pink gibbon in the room is a lot different from doing stuff we don't like.

We like all the fluff(Of which this update is light years away from focusing on), and we like all the features. We are donating to show Toady that we can't wait to get them.

We are willfully donating to a guy who is not trying to trick us. There is no trickery here. We really like the game and the direction it is headed in. There are glaring problems, as this is far away from being finished. Of course there will be problems. There is a system in place to work on different sections of the game at a time.

Complaints over this issue of how Toady works his game seem to be based around the idea that this is an almost-finished game, and that bugs need to be sorted out. Really, the glaring issues in the system are just features that have not been worked on because it isn't time for them yet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Somehow put up a reasonable argument about how other people choosing to donate their own money to something they like is worth RAEGing over? Its not like DF hasn't ran for years now getting updated every once in a while. You don't wanna donate, you don't. No one's pointing a gun at your mom and forcing you to.

D'awww ninja'd.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

If his code can't be reused to milk different kinds of animals, he has serious design issues well beyond anything I've noticed.

You can do a lot better than this.  Come on, you're not going to convince anybody that you actually care about milking.  At least talk about how you're completely certain that farming/crossbows/sieges could be fixed with 30 seconds of work.

I'm just using it as an example about the tons and tons and tons of things that really COULD be fixed almost immediately. Look through the list of outstanding issues sometimes, its atrocious how many things are labelled "future" as if they were somehow currently unnattainable

If it was honestly a 5 minute fix, I'm certain he would have done it by now.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I'm just using it as an example about the tons and tons and tons of things that really COULD be fixed almost immediately. Look through the list of outstanding issues sometimes, its atrocious how many things are labelled "future" as if they were somehow currently unnattainable

Since when it is a good idea to build new features on top of placeholders?  I don't mean to trot out the old "it's an alpha, go away," but you need to lose your mindset that this is a mostly finished game with completed core systems.  This game is very likely to be in development 10 years from now.  That requires a solid foundation.

He's right though.  Extracting things from creatures should be in the raws/editable via workshop jobs.   It might be in this upcoming release even, and if it isn't it should be. 

Well, of course it should be in the game sooner or later.  Next release would be cool, but honestly it's not something I'd want it delayed for.

Okay, you know what? Show of hands here- how many people in this topic have any REAL programming experience?

Me.  Are you tripwire or Kassoon?

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"It makes no sense" == GRRRR I HATE EVERYONE I AM GOING TO BLOW A BLOOD VESSEL

this is what the dwarf fortress forums actually believe.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Dakk, he's not raging at all.   Stop misconstruing his motives.

He's simply trying to work out the reasoning behind the "oh, no release yet?  well have some money!" donation drive.  As I stated before, it's not going to have an effect on Toady's release date since Toady's already near the end of the current cycle.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Making accusations based on the first negative post who isn't putting fourth a reasonable argument is hardly representative of the entire community.

I don't even know what anybody is talking to anymore.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont believe that, but you're coming across as a bit of a troll demanding to know why people are donating to Toady. "It makes no sense" to me why you even bothered to post this.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

He's simply trying to work out the reasoning behind the "oh, no release yet?  well have some money!" donation drive.  As I stated before, it's not going to have an effect on Toady's release date since Toady's already near the end of the current cycle.

He's not trying to work out reasoning, he's just refusing to acknowledge that people could want to donate for any other reason than getting their pet features implemented.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

And he's questioning the logic in that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

If this makes you so angry, why are you here? Why would you frequent the forums of a game you obviously don't like made by someone who you think is 'tricking' us 'suckers' into donating so he can sit around and do nothing? Unless you wanted attention.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well implying that he's just sitting on his ass all day and duping people into donating is kind of inflammatory.
...do little to no work, people on the forum decided to get together and give him EVEN MORE MONEY?

How does this make any sense?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile

Milking is indeed an excellent example of how badly DF is being built, Milking code is know to work for one rare creature (Purring Maggots) so the code exists in some form and was STARTED but then apparently abandoned with the Milker and, Cheese maker profession, the farmers workshop and purchasable milk and cheese still in the game as glaring incomplete features, a kind of game play hang-nail that constantly grates the play ("Oh damn more Milker and cheese maker migrants, prepare the magma incinerators"). 
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Dakk, he's not raging at all.   Stop misconstruing his motives.

Its lame thought, if he isn't trolling, then he's one saaaad fan. Sure, there was a donate moar campaign, but so what? Its not like anyone is forcing anyone to do anything.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

Ok brenoink, I really think you're a bit out of line.  A lot of people here are being very reasonable in their explanations.  I see your reasoning.  I understand it.  I also understand that it is based on a severe lack of information on the situation.  I also see that you don't actually provide much in the way of counter arguments - you just claim them nonsensical.  You aren't even trying.  I doubt you even had time to read my first post on this thread before you made your last few responses.

Impaler, I told you how milking works.  If you don't bother to look into the situation, don't complain about it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15