Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: So, let me get this straight. In order to get Toady to stop getting paid to...  (Read 21376 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

And he's questioning the logic in that.

It's not really a question of logic.  People trust Toady to keep doing cool stuff with the project, so they donate.  The proper tack here is to somehow argue that people shouldn't trust Toady, because he will take your money and turn it into beard hairs or something.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not that that wouldnt be cool.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

People should be civil even when they disagree.  Please refrain from insulting each other.  There are a number of inflammatory posts in here ("troll", "suckers", etc.).  I've had to send out a warning already.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's why it's called a Civil War!   ;D
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, I think a "bounty" system would work a lot better here. Quantifiable results, and probably MUCH more likely to get people to donate. Everyone wins.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, I think a "bounty" system would work a lot better here. Quantifiable results, and probably MUCH more likely to get people to donate. Everyone wins.

That's sort of the way it works.  We pay for Toady's food and stuff, he works.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Er, no. What's in place is not a bounty system.

Bounty would be "$50 once feature x is implemented"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds closer to a bribe IMO......

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

If he DOES turn it into beard hairs though, I want a video of it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds closer to a bribe IMO......

Er, no.

It'd be a bribe if it was "Add Feature X to your development timeline and then implement it"

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile

Oh for the love of Armok.
Is he seriously considering people's logic for donation based on the fact that COWS AREN'T MILKABLE?
Are you kidding me?

You can change that yourself.
Look at these lines from the purring maggot.
   [EXTRACT:dwarven milk:7:0:1][MILKABLE:33333]
   [EXTRACT_VALUE:50][EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
   [EXTRACT_SIZE:10]
   [EXTRACT_CHEESE:dwarven cheese:7:0:0]
   [CHEESE_VALUE:100]
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

The donation thing is, as I understand it, just so he has something to live off of.  As for results, look a the dev page:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

And we can't forget about the List of Remaining items thread.  A significant of the items on that list are greened out by now.

And the bounty system would require a reliable source of money to pay the bounty.  Which can't be done with volunteer payments.

If it required a game release, it'd be too seldom.  If it were per feature programmed, $50 would be too little over too much time.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

I don't think a bounty system would work at all.   Toady's gonna work best doing as he sees fit, and I'm fairly sure he's getting to the point where he'll be able to actually work on some community desires, after this release cycle. 

Having a bunch of people bidding on what to be next may work monetarily and as a motivator, but it would mean individual aspects of the game need to be tore up, remade, tested, etc.   The current system where he uproots the game, shakes all the dirt out, and replants it seems to work, albeit sort of slow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

This system is more likely to make him get frustrated and quit developing the game entirely. It is not for you, or anyone else, to say how he develops his game. He does not make people donate, and he will make his game his way no matter what we say.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The donation thing is, as I understand it, just so he has something to live off of.  As for results, look a the dev page:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

And we can't forget about the List of Remaining items thread.  A significant of the items on that list are greened out by now.

And the bounty system would require a reliable source of money to pay the bounty.  Which can't be done with volunteer payments.

They absolutely can be.

Instead of making a donation, a bounty is placed.

Not every feature/fluff/milestone/whatever would have a bounty, just whatever people decide to put their money on.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15