Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: So, let me get this straight. In order to get Toady to stop getting paid to...  (Read 21368 times)

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...do little to no work, people on the forum decided to get together and give him EVEN MORE MONEY?

How does this make any sense?

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile

Get out, troll.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not trolling.

This is an honest question.

People were getting fed up with donating and not getting a new version.

So people decided to donate more.

It doesn't make any sense to me. Can someone enlighten..?

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its designed to sort of tell him we're waiting.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Its designed to sort of tell him we're waiting.

But by giving him more money, you're telling him you endorse what he's doing and have no problem with it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So it's like positive reinforcement, but for a negative deed? Generally you do positive reinforcement when someone does something good.

That said, I don't agree with the 'little or no work'... he has obviously been working his ass off.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Annnnd obvious troll is obvious, gb2 newfagland.

Is this how you people respond to opinions you don't like? Just assume they don't really believe it?

Working his ass off?

You still can't even milk cows.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile

Its about time someone made some sense around here, Its been a freaking YEAR without an update which from all indications just adds more pointless fluff without addressing any of the serious playability issues people have complained about for year, heck a volunteer had to re-write the darn graphics engine for him or that wouldn't even have happened.  How did he attract this many suckers?

<Que screaming hordes of fanboys>

Edit: Opps too late they are already here, brenoink your of course the only (other) sane person in this mad house which makes you (us) heretics, most people with contrary views simply don't voice them because of the attacks that follow.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:57:45 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I'm assuming you're talking about the Donatathon thread?  There was an explanation:

Okay I'll be snide.  The most recent edition of Dwarf Fortress dates to September of last year.  Scintillating and hilarious reports of the titanic new edition's development have made a lot of people really eager to play it, but the downside is that they've made a lot of people really eager to play it, and they can't yet.  And of late those descriptions are getting fewer, even as the first ever official release prediction keeps sliding further down the calendar.

Therefore, I'm proposing that any fan who's still devoted and capable send Toady a only slightly passive-aggressive reminder of who his game is for, by hitting him where it counts, the pocket book.  Oh no, not by withholding money as apparently some (very conceited) people are want to do.  Rather, by flooding Tarn's bank account with so much money he won't be able to think about anything but Dwarf Fortress.  That means it's time for another Donatathon.

If something specific about this explanation puzzles you, please point it out.

Its about time someone made some sense around here, Its been a freaking YEAR without an update which from all indications just adds more pointless fluff without addressing any of the serious playability issues people have complained about for year, heck a volunteer had to re-write the darn graphics engine for him or that wouldn't even have happened.

Impaler, I think you're an upstanding forums member and all but seriously, if you think this update is all simulationism then you're being willfully blind.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:55:26 pm by Footkerchief »

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm assuming you're talking about the Donatathon thread?  There was an explanation:

Okay I'll be snide.  The most recent edition of Dwarf Fortress dates to September of last year.  Scintillating and hilarious reports of the titanic new edition's development have made a lot of people really eager to play it, but the downside is that they've made a lot of people really eager to play it, and they can't yet.  And of late those descriptions are getting fewer, even as the first ever official release prediction keeps sliding further down the calendar.

Therefore, I'm proposing that any fan who's still devoted and capable send Toady a only slightly passive-aggressive reminder of who his game is for, by hitting him where it counts, the pocket book.  Oh no, not by withholding money as apparently some (very conceited) people are want to do.  Rather, by flooding Tarn's bank account with so much money he won't be able to think about anything but Dwarf Fortress.  That means it's time for another Donatathon.

If something specific about this explanation puzzles you, please point it out.

Its probably the part where people are giving him extra money for what they see as an unsatisfactory job. Personally, I'd think anyone getting MORE MONEY would keep doing what they're doing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Working his ass off?

Is milking cows a priority for you? It's not for Toady, or most of the community. If you want to milk cows, go play Harvest Moon. (And I don't mean this as derogatory towards the Harvest Moon series, I actually like them)

He's been busy making a tissue system complex enough to model infection, amputation, disease/poison, nearly any body combination you can think of including liquid metal or a creature made entirely of vomit inside a hard shell. He's been busy making the simulation complex enough to handle armies marching across the map with various goals, and giving the civs some more life. He's been busy making an interesting underground for us to dig into, instead of "OH LOOK MORE MICA".

Really though... while I disagree with how the others are dismissing you out of hand, I think your point has little merit.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile

Is it me or you're reffering to yourself as they.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Working his ass off?

Is milking cows a priority for you? It's not for Toady, or most of the community. If you want to milk cows, go play Harvest Moon. (And I don't mean this as derogatory towards the Harvest Moon series, I actually like them)

He's been busy making a tissue system complex enough to model infection, amputation, disease/poison, nearly any body combination you can think of including liquid metal or a creature made entirely of vomit inside a hard shell. He's been busy making the simulation complex enough to handle armies marching across the map with various goals, and giving the civs some more life. He's been busy making an interesting underground for us to dig into, instead of "OH LOOK MORE MICA".

Really though... while I disagree with how the others are dismissing you out of hand, I think your point has little merit.

Considering milking is already part of the game, it'd be a 5 minute job to implement it.

And adding things like tissue modeling is insane when the game itself has serious issues that need to be addressed before adding to its bulk- and even that shouldn't have been taking nearly as long as it has.

I mean honestly, the performance it gets is completely unacceptable.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

Its probably the part where people are giving him extra money for what they see as an unsatisfactory job. Personally, I'd think anyone getting MORE MONEY would keep doing what they're doing.

So if they keep giving him money, Toady will decide to ignore his previous decision to avoid this kind of release cycle in the future?  Okay, that's an interesting opinion.

Also, just go ahead and post a bulleted list of your pet features that aren't implemented yet.  It'll save time.

brenoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it me or you're reffering to yourself as they.

The people donating.

They're donating because they think he's not doing enough, otherwise that thread wouldn't even exist.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15