Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The werewolf Buruzemkom and the werewolf Atoosmoz have married. Congratulations!  (Read 7239 times)

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was unexpected. :)

As I mentioned over in the "goblin POW" thread a few days back, I had captured a couple of werewolves at one point and decided not to waste them so I threw in the "pet" tag to make them tameable. One thing led to another and now I've got 60+ tame werewolves and werewolf pups in my fort, and they've almost all got names because I capture goblin sieges and feed them to the pack. I noticed that the werewolves were slowly gaining social skills, too, which was fine by me (some of them are now "superwerewolfly tough" and are skilled consolers, comedians, etc.). I've made a bunch available for pets but so far no dwarves have claimed one.

Well, I just got the announcement in the subject header (the two lovebirds have decided to forego any formal celebrations) and I'm starting to realize what a weird situation I've got into with this fort. What happens now if one of those two gets claimed as a pet? What about all the breeding these guys have been doing so far, out of wedlock? I can't view the relationships screen for werewolves so I don't know if these two are bringing in any pups from previous matings to their new family. Maybe I'll copy the save and abandon to see if I can find them in the legends.

I look forward to this stuff getting even more confused and disturbing when it's possible for dwarves to become werewolves themselves. :)

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile

"If life hands you lemons, program in lemonade".
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More importantly - does the meat taste good?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile

More importantly - does the meat taste good?

That's a tricky question. One that might be best left unanswered ... since werewolves are something ELSE that take werewolf form - and upon dying they return to their original form. They'd taste .. dwarf, elf, human, kobold, goblin, orc ... who knows? What if the werewolf female is really an elf, and the male is really a dwarf? That would mean their pups would be some kind of dwarven/elven wolf contraption, as they were bred in wolf form.  ???

Of course this isn't in the game but ... it would be barrels of fun if werewolves reacted this way!  ;D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile

I now want werewolves on my map.
Adding in the pet_exotic tag and hoping that some elves will bring them!

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Had a look in legends and neither of them have had any pups before entering into the relationship. They became romantically entangled about a year prior to getting married, which suggests to me that they have the full suite of  interpersonal relationships that dwarves do going on under the hood. I've noticed that there haven't been any werewolf births at all in recent years, I wonder if now that they're getting married to each other the game has "realized" that they shouldn't be breeding willy-nilly like animals any more.

I also found that one of my werewolves had apparently given birth to herself some years previous. She's listed as her own mother and it's not just a coincidental duplication of names, her mother has the same birthdate she does. My dwarves must have been rather creeped out when that happened.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Weird. I never got a marriage message when my dwarves get married. Turns out my mayor married my metalcrafter, I didn't find out until she gave birth to their first daughter. Sure enough, I checked the relationship tab and they're married.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile

Weird. I never got a marriage message when my dwarves get married. Turns out my mayor married my metalcrafter, I didn't find out until she gave birth to their first daughter. Sure enough, I checked the relationship tab and they're married.

Yeah you did. They always come, they're green. They're incredibly easy to miss amidst all the "stray horse gave birth to foals" crap.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile

I now want werewolves on my map.
Adding in the pet_exotic tag and hoping that some elves will bring them!

No, you don't. *rocks back and forth*
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile

I also found that one of my werewolves had apparently given birth to herself some years previous. She's listed as her own mother and it's not just a coincidental duplication of names, her mother has the same birthdate she does. My dwarves must have been rather creeped out when that happened.
This is a masterfully designed image of a werewolf and a dwarf by Urist Engraver, the werewolf is giving birth to itself, the dwarf is screaming in terror.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a masterfully designed image of a werewolf and a dwarf by Urist Engraver, the werewolf is giving birth to itself, the dwarf is screaming in terror.
It menaces with spikes of incest and is adorned with rings of paradox.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you might want to send the save to toady that sounds like an interesting bug.
The great game of Warlocks!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online

Well if the werewolves were being generated by infection from other werewolves, that would make sense.  The original creature in a sense does give birth to the werewolf, or at least the internal identity changes.  But that isn't how it works in DF, is it?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

have you hit the max number for the map?maybe that is way thay stoped haveing kids.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile

I say pics or it didnt happen
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)
Pages: [1] 2