Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brewing Meat?  (Read 2482 times)

revara

• Bay Watcher
  • The entropic pluck of strings.
    • View Profile
Brewing Meat?
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:53:09 pm »

I know there's been an old thread about this quite some time ago, but I wasn't able to completely understand the solutions implemented in the few posts.

I'm looking for a way to brew the meats we get from butchering animals, such as cats or whatever, preferably any of the materials found in material_template_default with the token [MEAT], which includes sinew, tripe, eyes and so on. If anyone can help me with this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, could milk possibly be brewed as well?

I wish to do this as a sort of homage to the Bosmeri of The Elder Scrolls, who honor the Green Pact by not harming any plants in the forest they live in, I'd never go as far as to do the same in Dwarf Fortress, but playing a Fortress without any farming would be challenging enough for me, and hopefully FUN! (In more ways than one :P)

Any help is appreciated, as I'm so far feeling pretty stumped.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing Meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 04:22:34 pm »

I know that masterwork has both with the boozebelly goats and the plump helmet men. I'll check the raws and try to find how after I post this.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:38:38 pm »

how did you want the brewing to be done? Brew meat into drinkable blood? problem with that is that blood is not alcoholic but you can drink it if it's a DRINK item much like water.

so in material_template_default.txt in the MUSCLE, EYE, TRIPE, etc templates you have to add [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BREW_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD]

then make a custom reaction that uses the STILL or KITCHEN as the building and uses a reaction like this:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BREW_MEATS]
[NAME:brew meat into blood]
[BUILDING:STILL:CUSTOM_SHIFT_B]
[REAGENT:meat:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
                [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:BREW_MAT]
[UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER] barrel or any non-absorbing tool with FOOD_STORAGE
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:2:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:meat:BREW_MAT]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot]
[SKILL:BREWING]

don't forget to enable the reaction in the entity

revara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:01:33 pm »

Okay, this seems pretty managable and easy, how do I enable the reaction in the entity, though?

And do you think I could go about changing that blood into something alcoholic? (Add my own base type or something?)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 05:58:35 pm »

[PERMITTED_REACTION:BREW_MEATS]  or whatever you name your reaction.

You can create a custom alcohol for your brewed meat if you like.  Easiest method would probably be to go into the material_template_default.txt and copy and paste the template for CREATURE_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE.  Give it a new token, like MEAT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE, and change the material names to something flavorful.

Personally, if I were to do this, these are the steps I would take.  Meat into Blood, Blood into Bloodwine (Kaplah!)

1) Copy and paste CREATURE_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE in the material_template_default raw.  Change the name to BLOOD_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE, and change the state names to bloodwine.

2) While you have the material_template_default file open, locate the MUSCLE_TEMPLATE material template.  It should be close to the beginning of the file.  Add a material reaction product token to it to direct muscle to form blood.  It should look something like this.

3) While you have the material_template_default file open, locate the BLOOD_TEMPLATE material template.  Add a material reaction product token to it to direct blood to form bloodwine.  It should look something like this>

3) Open the file b_detail_plan_default.txt raw file.  At the top is BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS.  Add a BLOOD_ALCOHOL material to the list.  Do the same to the BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS for good measure.

Spoiler: b_detail_plan_default (click to show/hide)

4) Add two new reactions to allow extracting blood and brewing blood into wine.  Easiest place is in the reaction_other.txt file.  Open reaction_other.txt and add the following reactions at the bottom of the file.

Spoiler: reaction_other (click to show/hide)

5) Open the entity_default.txt file.  At the very top should be the entry for ENTITY:MOUNTAIN.  This is the entity for dwarves.  Scroll down until you see the tokens for PERMITTED_REACTION.  Add the following to the list

Spoiler: entity_default (click to show/hide)

And then generate a new world.  You should now be able to extract blood from meat, and brew that blood into bloodwine.  Bonus points for you if you can figure out other fun uses for the blood (yum yum blood pudding).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:00:38 pm by Wannabehero »

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »

Not related to modding, but isn't raising animals technically farming?  :P
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:40 am »

yes, but with how DF is set up, raining animals is so much easier. No micromanagement, no feeding, selective breeding, vetinarians...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

revara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 08:11:22 am »

Raising animals is technically farming, yeah, but I'm not that keen on hunting, as I might accidentally cause a deer genocide or whatever, plus, if I take some slow-maturing farm animals, I might still up the challenge enough :D

PS: Just had to sleep, thank you all for the help!