Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in different breeds of Sukusuku Hakutakus? (please reffer to post #330 [AKA page 23])

Yes, give us more animals!
- 23 (92%)
No, I rather take it easy!
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33

Author Topic: Suika Fortress V0.7.5 - Back, but also not quite  (Read 123835 times)

XD!

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder.
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress - A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 01:28:56 am »

I'm sorry.

But I have to ask, why do Touhou fans have to make everything touhou?

Also, I find it funny how everyone here has an anime avatar.
Because Touhou is amazing, and we love it.

Besides, its not like fans of other things haven't made their own mods.
I think there's a fallout mod still on the front page...
There was an Elder Scrolls mod a while back...

If people like something, then they like it.  Simple as that.
I'm talking on a larger scale here. I've noted a few other touhou mods(notably touhou fortress, which to my knowledge is making every character a touhou character).

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 02:41:36 am »

This is because the touhou community is an active/participating one (much like the DF community is, in a way), as opposed to one that just takes whatever they're given and goes fanboy about it. And a few of the hardcore fans are skilled in programming, or whatever other skill applies.

That is why you see hundreds of indy games, thousands of doujin (sometimes h-)manga, mods, an anime episode or two (with professional voiceactors!), dozens of manzai comedies, and thousands of covered music albums about it. It's essentially the largest noncommercial self-perpetuating 'franchise' on the planet.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:22 am »

This might also explain why Touhou's the only franchise to have its own Meme page on TVTropes. You also have to discern that not anything in the doujin area is free (Well, Touhou itself isn't free, either, but there's zero interest in the overseas market so most people just pirate it), Tasogare Frontier's a (semi-) professional developer who does commercial doujin that pretty much port other games into Touhou (like Megamari or Super Marisa World), and even had a hand in the official fighting-game spinoffs (which are a co-production between Tasofro and ZUN). They're also good spriters.

Ehm, enough rambling. Touhou's a game I play when I have thirty minutes to kill.

On a sidenote, Seihou's underappreciated.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 09:09:41 am »

Hahah, indeed. (At the Seihou statement)

And when I said 'noncommercial' I meant mostly the fact that it's not large corporation backed. You won't see TV adverts, or any other corporate junk attached. And most smaller doujin authors barely cover their printing costs with the proceeds. Unless, of course, they're very accomplished. There's certainly billions of Yen flowing every year if you sum up everything involving touhou, but individual profit margins are slim.

@ Totaku: You know, you can edit your posts. You can fix that typo in the OP. >_>

More relevantly, I started playing Suika Fortress properly today.

One of my starting Suikas (woodcutter) was killed by a Myon (for some reason) and the axe got lost in the process. Now I'm sitting here without wood, without fuel, and without magma, hoping for the next caravan to bring logs so I can forge another one. Sigh.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 09:56:27 am »

Can someone make a tileset of this?
Or will it be me (and be awesomely fail)?

LOLOL I AM BLIND

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »

Hm.

Damn Suikas. Just got my first mood (secretive), finally, after three years of nothing. What is the damn artifact?

Kalalgamil, Melttrusted, A Cave Spider Silk Rope
This is a cave spider silk rope. All craftssuikaship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cave spider silk. It is made from cave spider silk cloth. This object menaces with spikes of cave spider silk.

Value: 7600 suikabucks.

>_>

At least I'll have a decent well now.

RaevynneFlynne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 04:38:51 am »

To quote a friend of mine...

"The word of atai will be heard by all."

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 07:02:01 pm »

Now that I've been thinking about it.

Wouldn't it make more sense to turn -werewolves- into Momizis? Or, for that matter, wolves into Momizi-Yukkuris and Werewolves into proper humanoids? Or something? Using them as kobolds is weeeird.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 07:50:48 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone, but as I said, I'm sort of busy as is. ^^;

To begin yes, Touhou is quite popular for a doujin series. Much bigger compared to any other series I'm familar with. And there have been tons of parodies based on exsisting game fanchises already (like afterburner, Mappy, ect.) Your bound to find a pardoy of mod of something Touhou related somewhere out there. :P That's just how it is when you a game series that reaches a high point of popularity even when your just a single man who works, codes, composes and creates the charaters....all while drinking his booze. :V

But anyways I'm glad to see that everyone's starting to take notice. ^^

Anyways it's time for a quick update on the body part modification.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At the rate it's going, I'm pretty certain I'll be done with this pretty soon I'm still doing some regular fortress mod test, but it should be finished soon if time permits me to work on it regularly.
Now that I've been thinking about it.

Wouldn't it make more sense to turn -werewolves- into Momizis? Or, for that matter, wolves into Momizi-Yukkuris and Werewolves into proper humanoids? Or something? Using them as kobolds is weeeird.

I know what you mean...but who would serve as a kobold then? There's no yukkuri I can think of that would be as misfortunate to fit the kobold race, and Momizi was the closest candidate. Despite the fact that she could also fit a wolf group as well. Unless you got a good idea about what it could be.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:53:12 pm by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 03:30:31 am »

Well, nothing stops you from modding the civilization/entity list to make them behave differently. You could, for example, turn the kobolds into absurdly replicating fairies that siege you much like goblins do, but even weaker, yet in massive orc-ish quantities. Or something. If you want to be nasty, you could make their physical attack a 1:1:GORE and call it 'danmaku'. Danmaku gore attacks would be pretty hilarious.

I don't think a Touhou mod has to be faithful to dwarf fortress with the races just looking different. Go all out and modify them completely or add new ones. :D

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 04:19:09 am »

I didn't read the whole thread, due to loathing the sheer volume of Touhou crap on the sites I frequent, but:

Quote from: OP
now if only there was a way to make them explode when they are about to die.
You can make them drop an itemcorpse made of a stone with a very low boiling point, basically making an expanding doomcloud that will freeze stuff to death when the creature dies.  This is about as close as you can currently get to an explosion.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress - Now with Yukkuri body parts!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 02:04:54 am »

Well, nothing stops you from modding the civilization/entity list to make them behave differently. You could, for example, turn the kobolds into absurdly replicating fairies that siege you much like goblins do, but even weaker, yet in massive orc-ish quantities. Or something. If you want to be nasty, you could make their physical attack a 1:1:GORE and call it 'danmaku'. Danmaku gore attacks would be pretty hilarious.

I don't think a Touhou mod has to be faithful to dwarf fortress with the races just looking different. Go all out and modify them completely or add new ones. :D

What you say is true, but I really feel that it would best to have a thieving class thus why I kept the kobold race. Besides, more or less I'm considering replacing all the regular animals with yukkuri over time even if they don't fit. So in the end, I may just wipe out the wolves or replace them with something else.

Besides I'm still considering the idea of adding fairies and F.O.E.s into the roster as well.

And yeah I understand that I can go all out if I wanted to but I would prefer to keep most of the DF elements at least for the time being since there is alot of things I have to plan out before considering stretching beyond the normal bound (and that is if it feel nessesary to do that.) Do remember that this originally started as a forum game that I did for kicks and decided to expand further. So I'll likely be taking my time planning out everything.

Also note that I'm taking my time with this because I'm waiting for the new DF release that'll be out in roughly a month or two. Alot of factors for some features will probably be decided on the new DF version since everything will be different.

You can make them drop an itemcorpse made of a stone with a very low boiling point, basically making an expanding doomcloud that will freeze stuff to death when the creature dies.  This is about as close as you can currently get to an explosion.

I learned about that just recently after digging up another mod. (take a wild guess which one) So I'm going to play with the formula a bit and see what I can do with it. So yeah thanks for your advice though.

Anyways, after countless testing and beating up yukkuris when I took the opprotunity to, I finally decided to go ahead and release the new Suika Fortress mod with the yukkuri body. This will have all the yukkuri set up with a relatively basic body type along with some extra features depending on the yukkuri you confront (like the Yukkanako and Cirnoff for instance)

Plus I added a zombie and skeleton for a yukkuri I discovered I over looked.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601
Here you go everyone, dig in and let me know what you think.

Just follow the readme instruction and place the files where they go!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 02:54:38 am by Totaku »

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress V5- A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 11:56:01 pm »

I'm only in it to watch the yukkuri die horribly.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 01:56:48 pm »

hahaha well I will admit, the idea of killing yukkuri came pretty easy after playing several games. And since they can double as pets too also makes it rather a two sided coin that can benifit your hunger for Yukkuri abuse or love. XD

Anyways, I know I haven't been around, but it's due to me being rather busy and all. But I would like to let everyone know a few things I have given thought to regarding what I was considering for Suika Fortress.

Thanks to the fact that the new version of Dwarf Fortress is roughly 1-2 months away from release, I'm currently debating about if I should really consider adding much more right now till the new version comes out.

We already got word that soldiers will use flasks to drink their booze, so now this will mean I will have to hold off on gourds till the new release so I can make sure I can tag the image and text appropriately for the flasks.

There are also new classes I have to take into consideration with the new release such as instructors,  Quartermasters, and possibly doctors, so I have to make plans for new outfits for the additional Suika occupations sprites.

(Note that this is only if Toady can successfully merge the 40d## stuff so I can work with png support as I work with all this stuff via mac)

Some things like altering the certain megabeast's tags may have to be put on hold as well till the new release since everyone's pretty much aware that the mega beasts are suppose to be way more dangerous than in the current version.

However, those who gave me the tag ideas I still will give them my thanks and the proper credit for their work. I may still impliment some in the current version, but we'll see. Assuming I have time to work with it on the current version.

Finally I have figured out the "blowing up" tag like I mention before and currently planning to put it to the test, likely on some poor yukkuri for the fun of it. Before I start performing a long test to see how this'll work on the HFS for the Utusho yukkuri (which this tag will be put on) I got to make sure the explosion are deadly (possibly fatal if too close) upon thier death. But not over the top....

I'll likely have time to work on some of these as well as some of the other ideas I haven't mention after I get through with some other projects I'm invovled in. (likely near the end of the month)

I'm still pretty certain that some things I will likely hold out for the new version.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:02:46 pm by Totaku »

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 04:30:14 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Toady stated that there will be a d## version on the same day the new version is released, so I'd be optimistic there.

Either way, you can keep spriting away, it's not like later moving the sprites around or converting the format they're in is going to be any real work. If you have some Mac related conversion issues, I could gladly help with that.

And yes, Suika-Soldiers carrying gourds into battle is going to be made of epic win.

And I actually semi-agree with waiting for the new release before doing any extensive work, given the BODY and MATGLOSS raws are going to be completely different from the current version, and to a smaller degree, this also applies to creature entries.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33