Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you be interested in different breeds of Sukusuku Hakutakus? (please reffer to post #330 [AKA page 23])

Yes, give us more animals!
- 23 (92%)
No, I rather take it easy!
- 2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Suika Fortress V0.7.5 - Back, but also not quite  (Read 123839 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Suika Fortress V0.7.5 - Back, but also not quite
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:09:23 pm »

Suika Fortress

In the land of Gensokyo, a place isolated from the rest of the world behind a border, it was once a place filled with oni long ago...

But times have changed since then and very few are known to exsist today, especially within the border of Gensokyo...

There was once a story where one mountain oni attempted to try to bring the rest of her clan back by creating a series of parties that she belived would draw the mountain onis from hiding. But alas, she would eventually be challenged by the citizens of Gensokyo and in the end her attempt would fail.

As from the point the little oni would wander about loafing around the shrine of the famous shrine maiden and spend her time drinking and partying while there.

This little oni was known as "Suika Ibuki" an oni who specilized in manipulating density.

One day however, as time passed since several incidents, the oni would become bored because she was unable to find anything fun to do. Even after she did find at least one of her other oni clan in the underground she was looking for something exciting to do...

It was then that the border youkai , Yukari Yakumo, appeared before her to offer Suika a challenge. A test to see how well she could survive in the wilderness like her oni ansestors once did. The test however wouldn't be simple, as Suika herself was not going to be the participant. Instead, it would be her minature copies that she can create that'll take on the task!

She was told to make her copies and spread them across gensokyo to set up locations for them. But there were a few other rules Yukari gave to Suika as well.. she was not allowed to give them any of her sake from her sacred gourd they must make their own drinks, and she could not help them fight. She could however give commands to them...

And so with that, Suika accepted Yukari's challenge and from there she gave the mini suikas a ample amount of supplies, and yukkuri to help them.

What sort of magical tale await as the mini suika embark to thier new location in Gensokyo....to survive....to fight...to strike the earth and build......a Suika Fortress!

So everyone must wonder what is this mod all about? Well to explain I guess I can sum it up in a small story about how this idea came about.

The Story behind the idea

Being a Touhou fan, I was a regular on a Touhou message board (MotK) and participated in a few dungeon crawler games that were modded with Touhou charaters in them.

One day I stumbled across dwarf fortress and after playing it for a month, I fell in love with the concept behinds the game and as I played I began to see some simalarities. Mainly things like how dwarves were such heavy drinkers like Suika how remarkable tough they could be.

It was from there I began work on creating this mod after learning of Mike Mayday's tileset and saw how nice the game could look with png support (as I work with a mac, yet I know how to play certain PC titles on a mac too).

Orginally I designed this mod only to be forum game exclusive, but after all the large amounts of feedback I recived about how nice the idea was I ended up taking the project a large step forward.

And so this has become a bit of a personal project that I'm now designing for now just a forum game, but for Tohuou fans alike.

What is Touhou?

Touhou is a poular Japanese doujin game series from japan that is a mainly be described as bullet hell. Think Ikaruga but harder and all the planes are replaced by female charaters.

You can read about it here in the wiki (you can find Suika in the wiki as well if your curious)
http://www.touhouwiki.net/
And here's a wiki on yukkuri a fan made craze that is based on Touhou, since yukkuri are relavent to the game's graphics.
http://yukkuri.wikia.com/wiki/Yukkuri_Wiki
Needless to say, despite being a curtain shooter it does have a pretty huge popularity in Japan and a good fanbase outside of it as well. So there is tons of fanmade games based on the series. You could consider Suika Fortress as a mod based on one of those cases. XD

What does the game consist of?

As of right now, it's still in production and most of it is a graphics mod, but there are also some tag changes in some parts too. I have alot of things planned for it which include changing body part features and adding in new species of creatures since right now the mods are mainly consisted of graphic replacements of vinilla creatures.

As of right now, I have done this much:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What I've done here is just the basics and I have alot more things to plan on the list. But I felt that it was at the point where I could at least introduce the idea to everyone.

What plans do you have for later versions?

Some ideas I had in mind included:
There are more, but most likely some will have to wait till Toady releases the new version of DF and other may be some ideas left hanging till the magic arc begins to take shape.

Have any pictures of the mod?

Sure why not?

This only shows some of the graphics I done, but there's more in the game.

Where can I get the mod?

Here at the DFFD
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1601

And of course like I always feel I need to say.... Touhou graphics and modification are done by me, all other graphics are property of their respected owners,  DF is property of Tarn Adams, and of course Touhou characters are property of ZUN.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy what I've put together so far with the mod and any suggestions are welcome since I'm always looking for more ideas. ^^

UPDATED: V0.7.21 is now up, the game is now is 0.34.xx territory now.

Credits
Touhou is of course property of creator ZUN, owner of his Doujin company Shanghai Alice. Who allows his fans to create fanworks based on his creation of the game series
Tileset graphic sprites by Mike MayDay, who inspired me to pusue sprite DF modding.
Some animal sprites by Kafine, who gave permission for anyone to use her work.
Bonobo and various animal sprites by sphr
Some various sprites done by Phobeus
Suika sprites, Touhou character sprites, and Yukkuri sprites and a few other critters done by yours truly, Totaku

...still contacting a few others to get some proper credit where it's due...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:34:58 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suika Fortress - A mod fit for Touhou fans
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:56:06 pm »

OMG, I love the little Suika sprites.

As a Touhou fan, I must say: "You rock"
Keep up the good work.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:06:23 am »

This is on my check-it-list, for now. Do you have a yukkuri bodytype? Probably, but still...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »

This is on my check-it-list, for now. Do you have a yukkuri bodytype? Probably, but still...

If you looked at the list, you'll noticed that this is one of my projects that I'm planning to do on the to do list.

To be honest I am still finalizing what possible yukkuri I can replace certain animals in the game with. I'm pretty much near the finish point since I can't think of many others positions unless you all got an idea.

But if now I'll leave it as is and work on the body types for the yukkuris.

But from what I've done so far here's a list of the yukkuris I worked on:

Domestic animals and beasts of burden replacement (I'm showing these since they are the basics)

Yukkureimu- replaces the donkey
Chenkkuri - replaces the cat
Yusakuya - replaces the dog
Yukanane - replaces the mule (though sanae isn't techincally stubborn, she does have some degree of it and since the yukkuri species is hard to reproduce, this fits in perfectly.)
Sukusuku Hakutaku - Replaces the musoxen (furry looking, horns, tough at least from what I've seen, and looks cute to boot, it fits the mark)
Kimemaru - Aya type yukkuri, replaces the horse ( I think you might have an idea why. :P)
Yukenie - replaces the cow,( this should be very obvious why I did that. :P)
Myon - Youmu types, replace the camels (hard to say, it just seemed right considering their behavior)

Wild life and underground wild life replacements

Animal people replacements

aquatic life replacements

Megabeast replacements

HFS replacements

Other replacements

These cover the yukkuris I've done, I know however there are more touhou yukkuris I have in mind to add in, but some are a bit complicated to see what animal I should consider replaceing with them.... for example...

Komachi type - They're lazy and immortal by nature, I guess we can kill it since we can kill a Moko-tan, but I'm not sure there are tags to make it "lazy".....maybe it could replace sea serpent.... but I'm unsure.
Yukari type - Definetly impossible under the normal stand point. Because I want them to be able to teleport through gaps or something like that. The only way I could see that possible is through the magic arc if toady allows teleportation.
Prisimriver types - I'm just not sure what would be a good canidate to replace them to make room for Lunasa, Merlin, and Lyrica. Let alone, how would they behave and where they could be found. Got any suggestions for that? Otherwise they'll likely be made after I design yukkuri bodies.
Kaguya types - Same reason as Komachi except I don't know what creature should replace it with.
Eirin type - While a bit easier, it's hard to consider it's behavior, I'm likely to put her on hold till the next version comes out so I can look into the "medical support and cleaning features"
Satori type - I wanted to make them into something interesting, but I don't know if they really fit in the game, I was consider making them additional HFS, but still what could they do? Since they are therapist (by yukkuri standards) and even when considering Satori's behavior, she mainly mimics spellcards....another thing I'm unsure of...
Ichirin and Unzan types - As far as I know I don't think there's a feature that allows wild animals to have symbiotic relationships with other  wild animals. If there was I would consider making it so Ichirin and Unzan types stuck around together. So I might still make them after the yukkuri body modification, but they'll likely be separate.
Byakuren type Most likely out till the magic arc, because I'm not sure how to represent her, regardless she can be mention in engravments (As well as Nue types, which I'm not posting here because I have an idea for her)

Anyone else I didn't mention at this point is likely to be planned somewhere within the project somehow. But anyways, if you or anyone has any ideas on how I could take these yukkuri I mentioned above and apply them somehow to make the mechanics work with their behavior, and find a suitable creature to replace them, I'll take it into consideration as that'll be a plus.

Edit: Oh and as for the body layout for yukkuri I was considering something a basic body type like this:

Upper Body (reffering to above the face) - bean paste innards (like lungs, ect), hair, hair accesories?, skin, tissue, bean paste layers
Upper left and Upper right body(will function like hands or front legs using certain tags) - skin, tissue, bean paste layers (probably will make a few)
Face - Eyes, nose, mouth,ears, beanpaste brain (technically the face will count as a head)
Lower Body (reffering to below the face) - Bean paste innards(like stomach, spleen, ect.), skin tissue, bean paste layers
Lower left body and lower right body - (which will behave like legs using certain tags) skin, tissue, bean paste layers

That's just a basic idea of what I'm considering, there are other body parts too but I'll figure out how to add them in. And will probably provide a body code later on

But if any of you got an idea about a better layout for it too I'm all ears.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:21:24 pm by Totaku »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 09:12:15 am »

-Errol cancels post: Struck down by wall of text-

Well, it's obvious that you put a lot of effort in it, shame people don't seem to appreciate it. The caste tags in the next ver will be nice, I guess.
Did you think of a bit of fluff like toy gourds, engravings of the factory and other places and stuff like that?
You can play around with the corpse tags I guess, you could give Okuukuris an exploding corpse and stuff like that.
The catfish needs flight. I guess Ikutypes have an [HEAT] attack or something, be sure to make it very deadly. And your Suikas might need some custom weapons - how about flamethrower gourds?! They might need a default horn attack too.
I'd make yukkuris [GRASP] with their tongues. And, well, don't be shy considering creature properties. If the creature won't fit the yukkuri change the creature. As long as it isn't something major... Also, consider minor enemies from Touhou. Stuff like fairys, FOEs (as megabeasts of course), more fairys... ah, that reminds me, will you do vermin?

Idea - make a Komachi Fortress mod for 40a. ;)

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 01:09:33 pm »

There is one fatal flaw with this concept.

A Suika fortress would be limited to only three jobs: Sleep, Drink, and Attend Party.
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 01:30:18 pm »

Not to mention the occasional tantrum/"brb, smashing intruders"

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:40 pm »

-Errol cancels post: Struck down by wall of text-

Well, it's obvious that you put a lot of effort in it, shame people don't seem to appreciate it. The caste tags in the next ver will be nice, I guess.
Did you think of a bit of fluff like toy gourds, engravings of the factory and other places and stuff like that?
You can play around with the corpse tags I guess, you could give Okuukuris an exploding corpse and stuff like that.
The catfish needs flight. I guess Ikutypes have an [HEAT] attack or something, be sure to make it very deadly. And your Suikas might need some custom weapons - how about flamethrower gourds?! They might need a default horn attack too.
I'd make yukkuris [GRASP] with their tongues. And, well, don't be shy considering creature properties. If the creature won't fit the yukkuri change the creature. As long as it isn't something major... Also, consider minor enemies from Touhou. Stuff like fairys, FOEs (as megabeasts of course), more fairys... ah, that reminds me, will you do vermin?

Idea - make a Komachi Fortress mod for 40a. ;)

Hahahah I suppose I can be quite a talker. I tend to do that when I work on projects like these. XD

Anyways, the idea of making toy gourds and so forth I can tell you that I have considered that idea since I was thinking of renaming the waterskins into gourds. So we're on the same boat.

The idea of making the corpse burn upon death actually sounds like a fantastic idea! I forgot that that imp fat can do that! I could also make it so any chunk that burns off should ignite as well. Talk about a dangerous challenge! I love this idea and will definetly consider it!

As for the catfish and ikkuri idea, those are something I'll have to look into after I finish the yukkuri body mod. I want to make sure the game a challenging, yet balanced game play. So I'll take those into consideration.

Customized weapons, I'm unsure of since I can't make any calls on it till much later on especially since I have to make sure that everything works properly. Starting with the yukkuri bodies. Besides if you could make a flame thrower it would just cause tons of trouble. :P (Not that it's a bad thing, but still) regardless, I did however consider changing up somethings with the weapons. But that'll be something later on...

Making Suika use thier horns to attack is something I've debated about for a while. While it's logical, I have to see how the yukkuri bodies handle first as I've stated before...balance!

Grasping with the tounge is a good idea actually. But if I remember correctly, a yukkuri's long hair (like Reimu and Patchouli types) also act as hand too so they could function with a grasp feature. Definetly worth looking into right now.

Well I do want to keep some things in there, but probably in the long run most of the regualr creatures will likely be replaced all together espsecially with each passing year ZUN releases a new Touhou game. (New Charaters = New yukkuri = new creatures!)

As for adding other creatures. I've debated on that for a while. Difficult to make a call on that. But if I run low on options I can consider adding in certain faires and FOEs....maybe. Let's see how things go as I work on this.

And as for vermin, if you mean making graphics for them. That won't exactly be easy or very possible since there would be a limit. As vermin cannot be supported with graphics as of this point. Only the font set could be alter to allow them to have some form for the time being. Something I should consider sending a question to Toady...

Also the Komachi fortress thing sounds funny. I could see the game being really slow....and lots of ZZZs.
Mean while I will let you know I have been working on the body parts through today, but I'll be having to perform a number of tests to see if everything shows up correctly. So this will take some time.

There is one fatal flaw with this concept.

A Suika fortress would be limited to only three jobs: Sleep, Drink, and Attend Party.

HAHAHAHA Naturally yes, Suika would pretty much do that! But let's remember that onis love a challenge of Strength, Endurance, and Speed. And since the plot behind it (at least what I described in the beginning) pretty much sets it up for Suika to attempt to challenge her self (especially since it's Yukari who made this challenge. :P)

But when you consider some of the goofy mistakes one can do with a dwarf, I somehow also can help but think of Suikas making mistakes like that too due to their lazy drunkeness. (IE channeling the wrong areas)

Anyways, time for me to work on those yukkuri bodies.

EDIT: Yukkuri basic body structure displaying the right parts completed!

Here's an idea how the tags are set up. (Note some yukkuri parts will vary and subject are still bound to change)

Since yukkuri are basiclly just heads it was a bit of a complicated mess to figure out how to display this... Let along I wanted it to have all the features that made up certain creature. Hardest part was decideing how a yukkuri could be chocked.... so the only place I could think of any was the nose (that is if they have any, that is a subject to debate on) but yeah that part got the throat tag. At least for now all this will work for testing...

Now it's time to perform an injury test.

EDIT2: Ok I might need to look back and figure out how to organize certain body part features better to make them more visible after damage. At least the yukkuri can tolerate some damage, but injuries to the skin seem to make them faint too easily (I'll probably reduce it to the layers). On a funny note in adventure mode they punch with their tounge and hair arms part, but I need to either figure out how to make them bite with thier teeth (they punch with them too) or simply drop it. XD
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:29:36 am by Totaku »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 01:59:13 pm »

As mentioned already this mod will get a lot of possibilities when the new raws with castes and relative bodysizes (for semi-impervious yukkuri) come in. Would be nice if you could butcher yukkuri for bean paste/whatever instead of meat, but yeah, that's not gonna happen anytime soon...

For example, new raws could give us semi-proper Shanghai/Houraikkuri, tsunalice, and stuff. Yeah...

Also, gourds replacing waterskins is a blasphemy...! A proper gourd is never soiled with water!

/brb, trying to make neverending gourd megaproject

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 02:27:12 am »

Well I decided in the end to make the hair parts large and visible since the yukkuri do have hair that function like hands and arms. Could I won't how'll they'll act once the hair arms are.."Broken" hahahahaha.

As for right now, I'm going ahead and putting to yukkuri body code on all the yukkuri that I have right now as well as making other parts for certain yukkuris. I'm going to test it out on the Beer Axe relay I've done and see what kind of results occur.

And yes, the new version will make things a whole lot more fun with the raws and caste since the game will better fit.

Also....
Also, gourds replacing waterskins is a blasphemy...! A proper gourd is never soiled with water!

Blasphemy only for now, remeber on of the things on the todo list...
Quote from: Toady One
Booze instead of water should be allowed

As of right now, it's showing signs of blue so it could be a dream come true sooner or later!

As for now, I'll work on the one year test to see how the yukkuri handle damage (since I can tell we'll have raids somewhere inbetween). And if all works out, I'll likely finalize and update it so that everyone who's into it can have yukkuri bodies avalaible for download and will likely put it up on the DFFD this time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:39:55 am by Totaku »

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 01:30:36 pm »

This is hilarious. (Small note. You spelled Suika's last name 'Ibuku' in the first post. >_>)

I was just thinking. "Hmm, I'm bored. Maybe I should make a mod that replaces Megabeasts with various Touhou characters." (Mokous as the Dragons was the one that initially occured to me.) I click the DF Modding page. And what do I see on the first page? Suika Fortress. A major "DOH!" moment, really. Either way, fun. Will take a proper gameplay-look at it later.

My reaction to the first screenshot: "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN~!" *cough*

Either way, I'll feel horribly bad slaughtering Yukkuris, though. Given by Gensoukyo logic, aren't -humans- one of the main meatsources? At least for the Carnivorous Youkai?

Also, this opens a lot of modding possibilities for small details. Like adding gourds instead of cheese for engravings. :3

As for reducing Mokou mortality, I suggest removing all vital organs but the brain, and adding the whole assortment of [NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NOBREATH] etcetera tags. That way, the only manner of taking her down is crushing her skull, caving in her upper body (pun intended), decapitation, or cleaving her straight in half. Not immortal, but with some damblock damned close. Alternatively, could give her a bodyheat not too unlike the SoF, so she randomly makes stuff (and Suika's) catch fire.

Using Utsuho as the SoF replacement is genious, though. Subterranean sun indeed.

Either way, I just realized how incoherent my writing is getting. I should probably take a nap. Will write some proper feedback after I get some decent sleep.

EDIT: On the note of Yukkuri's using hair for grabbing. How about adding the hair as actual bodyparts (left hair, right hair? @_@) and giving it the [GRASP] tag?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:50:59 pm by Halconnen »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 12:32:47 pm »

This is hilarious. (Small note. You spelled Suika's last name 'Ibuku' in the first post. >_>)

I was just thinking. "Hmm, I'm bored. Maybe I should make a mod that replaces Megabeasts with various Touhou characters." (Mokous as the Dragons was the one that initially occured to me.) I click the DF Modding page. And what do I see on the first page? Suika Fortress. A major "DOH!" moment, really. Either way, fun. Will take a proper gameplay-look at it later.

My reaction to the first screenshot: "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN~!" *cough*

Either way, I'll feel horribly bad slaughtering Yukkuris, though. Given by Gensoukyo logic, aren't -humans- one of the main meatsources? At least for the Carnivorous Youkai?

Also, this opens a lot of modding possibilities for small details. Like adding gourds instead of cheese for engravings. :3

As for reducing Mokou mortality, I suggest removing all vital organs but the brain, and adding the whole assortment of [NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NOBREATH] etcetera tags. That way, the only manner of taking her down is crushing her skull, caving in her upper body (pun intended), decapitation, or cleaving her straight in half. Not immortal, but with some damblock damned close. Alternatively, could give her a bodyheat not too unlike the SoF, so she randomly makes stuff (and Suika's) catch fire.

Using Utsuho as the SoF replacement is genious, though. Subterranean sun indeed.

Either way, I just realized how incoherent my writing is getting. I should probably take a nap. Will write some proper feedback after I get some decent sleep.

EDIT: On the note of Yukkuri's using hair for grabbing. How about adding the hair as actual bodyparts (left hair, right hair? @_@) and giving it the [GRASP] tag?

Ah yes sorry, I over looked that bit when I was typing, I'll make sure to fix it. But I glad to see your taking interest in this mod.

As for the Mokou suggestion I'll take that into consideration since it'll make things a bit harder since I would rather make her more immortal. Same would apply to Teruyo (Kaguya) as well when I reach that point.

As for the hair for grabbing, I will let you know I've changed the coding a bit since the last time. So now the lower hair hand have grasp to them.

As of right now I'm still conducting some tests but I'll give to a preview of how the basic yukkuri body type should be like in this case another Chen. :P

Spoiler: for sneak preview (click to show/hide)

Some bizzare features still need some looking into though. For instance...

I noticed a parseekkuri had a mitten and glove on her tounge. @_@ Which I find just plain weird, so I'm probalby going to play with the coding some more to see if I can remove that. Otherwise, well, I donno if it matter, but still it's strange. :P (probably use a tag simalar to how horns are done, they don't get equipment.)

And second some yukkuri still have body parts I accidently added in that I need to reconfigure. but it works out something should come out of this sooner or later. :P I still need to check out damage reports though, but that will take time....

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 01:27:28 pm »

Any part with the [GRASP] tag will wear mittens/gloves, and any part with the [STANCE] tag will wear shoes and socks. It's hardcoded, so the only thing you could do would be removing handwear from Parseekkuris.

XD!

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling modder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:39:55 pm »

I'm sorry.

But I have to ask, why do Touhou fans have to make everything touhou?

Also, I find it funny how everyone here has an anime avatar.

phi2dao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 12:08:41 am »

I'm sorry.

But I have to ask, why do Touhou fans have to make everything touhou?

Also, I find it funny how everyone here has an anime avatar.
Because Touhou is amazing, and we love it.

Besides, its not like fans of other things haven't made their own mods.
I think there's a fallout mod still on the front page...
There was an Elder Scrolls mod a while back...

If people like something, then they like it.  Simple as that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33