Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Gnoll Clans NEW VERSION 1.3.3  (Read 8999 times)

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
Dwarf Fortress: Gnoll Clans NEW VERSION 1.3.3
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:50:46 am »

Hi all.
Been a big fan of DF for quite some time now.
After finding I had some time on my hands and reading through some wiki articles on modding I decided to have a go myself.

I noticed that DF was missing one of the common hero-fodder races: Gnolls. Yes, those wonderful fuzzy, angry hyena folks.

I had a go at making them, then kind of got carried away and made them playable, plus some support critters: hyenas (dogs) and dire hyenas (horses).

You can download it here:

The graphics are still under heavy work and are based off of the wonderful Mayday graphics pack. I am also working on a language, but that is taking quite a lot of time >.<

Any suggestions, comments and stuff would be very welcome. And help with the graphics :P

I myself have a few questions though:
Why do I seem to have fewer points to spend when creating my party in Fortress mode? Solved
Why can I not seem to be a able to purchase meat/fish when preparing in Fortress mode? Solved
How do I set the wagons to be pulled by my dire hyenas instead of horse/mules? Theoretically Solved
Is there a way to replace crossbows for regular bows when equipping military and hunters? Solved

Thanks a lot guys.

EDIT:
Extra military gnoll sprites for guards and royal guards.
Hyena and dire hyena sprites.
Bugs fixed.
Gnollish artefacts taken out. (I think)

EDIT:
Added a set of military gnoll sprites. Still need to make separate ones for guards and royal guards

EDIT:
Major update: Removed un-gnoll like jobs. They can only make weapons out of metal. If you want metal armour for the gnolls scavenge it from the dead :P
Added a new metal for making anvils out of- Gnoll Steel. It is an alloy of iron and copper and quite worthless.

EDIT:
Going to add version numbers no to keep stuff ordered nicely.
I added an altered entity_default file to remove the playability of dwarves.

Anyone think making leather into a building material would work?

EDIT:
Anyone know how to allow the gnolls to eat rotten meat? Solved

EDIT:
Added more gnoll sprites.

EDIT:
A gnoll language file has been created. Thanks to 3 for pointing me to Telcontar's Wordforge. That is a hell of a lot of work off my hands now >.<

EDIT:
Ok, thanks to the input of 3 and Deon I have made a few minor changes and fixes. Please let me know of any more bugs or errors.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 09:04:29 am by Pyro »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Gnoll Clans
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:03:34 pm »

Why do I seem to have fewer points to spend when creating my party in Fortress mode?

There is an explanation for this, I just can't remember what it is. I'll search for it in a minute.

How do I set the wagons to be pulled by my dire hyenas instead of horse/mules?

Give them [GOOD] or [EVIL] and chances are they'll work. The same applies to hyenas - give them [EVIL] and only gnolls and goblins will use them. Alternatively, you could try removing [COMMON_DOMESTIC] from both and giving them exactly the same biomes as the gnoll civ entry, ensuring that you always have access to them - that should let you pick them on embark, and only another civ with a base in those biome types would also have access to them.

Is there a way to replace crossbows for regular bows when equipping military and hunters?

Besides making a crossbow that's just called a bow, not in this version. It'll be fixed in the upcoming version, however.

Languages can be generated via script quite easily. There's the older perl script (which I currently use), Wordgen, and then there's the newer Win-cmd Wordforge.

The mod would be more interesting to play if some of the non-gnollish (not sure if that's the right word) professions were taken out - right now it looks like they play almost exactly like dwarfs.

I'll go over any errors I find in a minute...

Edit:

I can take a guess at why you might not be able to buy meat/fish on embark - it might be down to the gnoll civ being based on a ruin site. This is just a hunch, though, so don't take it as given. I haven't managed to find anything whatsoever on the embark points issue.

Now...

creature_gnoll.txt:
- DEPRESSION(blank space) needs to be changed to DEPRESSION
entity_gnoll.txt:
- [RELIGION_SPHERE:SPHERE_DEATH] (CHAOS, REVELRY, DEPRAVITY, HUNTING) needs to be replaced with [RELIGION_SPHERE:DEATH] (and CHAOS, REVELRY, etc)
- MATRIARCH is not a unit "type", that is, a valid profession. The value needs to be set to one of these.
- ACCETABLE needs to be replaced with ACCEPTABLE
language_GNOLL.txt:
- [trANSLATION:HUMAN] needs to be replaced with [trANSLATION:GNOLL]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:18:54 pm by 3 »

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:15 pm »

Thank you 3 for the input. The minor errors have been fixed now.
As for professions, I am still playing with ideas. I am trying not to make this just a re-skin of Kobald Camp.
I suppose it will be more about surface construction and forging of light metal weapons as well as lots of hunting... I am open to ideas though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:32 pm »

The fish/meat problem should come from the lack of [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS].

You could make hyenas to be GOOD/EVIL and add [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] or [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS].

Also I have incomplete gnoll and centaur entities for my DF Genesis mod (which includes a lot of human races and some additional common like lizardmen etc.) thus I haven't put them in yet. I've almost finished centaurs and I have graphic tiles for them (by Krisnack) but I don't have any gnoll graphics. Thus when you finish them may I hope that you'd present them to use for my mod (with all the praise and proper credits in the first line? :)). I may provide you with a lot of gnoll items (weapons/armor/toys) I've made after I've searched some web info about gnolls as a sign of a gratitude in case you'd like to use them as additional items.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:59:00 pm »

I'll just go ahead and tell you which kind of gnolls I use, maybe you could find some useful info in there.

The entity tends to worships demons as goblins do, because in DnD gnolls always worship a demon lord. Also they don't have mayors but military leaders. They are carnivore and don't grow plants, they also have quite a good sense of metals and live in caves and have no problems with metalsmithing. I want to release two subraces: gnolls (bigger and fierces) and flynds (smaller but broader, stronger and clever). Gnolls have very short lifespans when compared with other sapient humanoids, living only 30 or so years on average and maturing to adulthood at a remarkable speed, so I've made them [CHILD:3].
Gnolls place a very strong value on family for instance, respecting blood ties perhaps more than any other aspect of a relationship. Though gnolls within a pack commonly fight amongst one another for dominance, these battles are quickly forgotten after their resolution, thus I placed their cooperation personality token quite high.

I haven't find a lot on special weapons so I had to think some of them out, but there's definitely a flindbar weapon which most flynds use.
Also it's pretty common that gnolls favour flail-like weapons because the weapon of their demon-lord is a dreaded triple flail.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:02:17 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 01:16:27 pm »

Deon:
These gnolls are mostly D&D based but go more for the nature/thrill-of-the-hunt (without getting too furry :P ) way of things rather than all out daemon worship for now. They do share the same carnivore, short life, high co-op thing though :D

You are welcome to use my graphics if you like dude.
Good luck with your project.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 01:50:14 pm »

nitpick: hyenas are not dogs.  In fact, they're more closely related to cats!

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:56:30 pm »

nitpick: hyenas are not dogs.  In fact, they're more closely related to cats!
I know this. I was referring to their use rather than their biological likeness. And they are closer to mongooses :P

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 02:51:47 pm »

Whatever happened to Gnoles, anyway?

http://www.sff.net/people/Doylemacdonald/d_nuth.htm

THAT's a gnole

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 03:06:12 pm »

These gnolls are mostly D&D based
Sorry for nitpicking but you contradict yourself :). DnD gnolls were created by a demon and believe in him. I am ok with no-demon-please gnolls too though.

Whatever happened to Gnoles, anyway?
Well, Gnole was way before DnD, and when they appeared there they became Gnolls. I guess because DnD is widely known, this name became more popular.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:08:27 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:13:04 pm »

These gnolls are mostly D&D based
Sorry for nitpicking but you contradict yourself :). DnD gnolls were created by a demon and believe in him. I am ok with no-demon-please gnolls too though.

I am using 4th ed ones as a reference. This article has some useful fluff in it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:15:59 pm »

So yeah, thanks for the article, I forgot the name of the demon and it's written there: Yeenoghu, the Beast of Butchery. He's made them from demons and beasts by combining demon blood and a soul of hyena.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 03:25:37 pm »

"Gnolls are the literary descendants of Lord Dunsany's "gnoles", who were clever, evil and nonhuman. Gary Gygax writes in the earliest edition of "Dungeons & Dragons" (1974): "A cross between gnomes and trolls (...perhaps, Lord Dunsany did not really make it all that clear) with +2 morale. Otherwise they are similar to hobgoblins..." "

Heh, that's pretty sly. I like the +2 morale bit too. They must be a cheerful people

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »

"Gnolls are the literary descendants of Lord Dunsany's "gnoles", who were clever, evil and nonhuman. Gary Gygax writes in the earliest edition of "Dungeons & Dragons" (1974): "A cross between gnomes and trolls (...perhaps, Lord Dunsany did not really make it all that clear) with +2 morale. Otherwise they are similar to hobgoblins..." "

Heh, that's pretty sly. I like the +2 morale bit too. They must be a cheerful people

That's actually quite interesting. I wonder how they took on their transformation into the modern concept... internet digging time!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 03:48:37 pm »

It's Gary Gygax, that's how.
Also check your pm, I have something for you.
P.S. I have these for any dnd race.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: [1] 2 3