Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Questions by email (link inside)  (Read 272004 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Questions by email (link inside)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 06:09:40 pm »

Careful though Footkerchief, indefinate release dates for what is so far a monthly project can only buy you soo much time before people start complaining and getting impatient

Hense what happened with Rainseeker once when he moved

So don't go beating people on over the head with it too much :P

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 06:22:08 pm »

Well yeah, people will complain no matter what if it takes much longer than a month.  But at least he won't have people accusing him of breaking his promise or whatever.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 06:28:17 pm »

Well yeah, people will complain no matter what if it takes much longer than a month.  But at least he won't have people accusing him of breaking his promise or whatever.

Yeah I guess impatient complainers are VERY much prefered over people crying "But you promised!"

So in that sense I understand completely.

Ohh goodness I am unhelpful. It is my shame!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:30:30 pm by Neonivek »

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 10:08:06 pm »

Can you give us an estimated time to release, then?

Between now and February.  Seriously, that would cause the exact problem that Rainseeker just mentioned -- causing the community to get frustrated and complain that it's not out on time.  Just chill out and let them do their thing.  If you're a-hungered for development details (and who isn't), the dev log has been bountiful of late.

That's the thing. As so far it's been a monthly project, it's nearing the point where it isn't out on time. Which is why I was asking for a broad "oh, a week or two" type answer. I can see where they're coming from, though
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 01:47:44 am »

I don't see how a free recording done in Rainseeker, Toady and I's free time can be  'nearing the point where it isn't out on time.'  I don't see how something that we very specifically avoided setting any dates for can be 'late'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 09:53:15 am »

I don't see how a free recording done in Rainseeker, Toady and I's free time can be  'nearing the point where it isn't out on time.'  I don't see how something that we very specifically avoided setting any dates for can be 'late'.

When you set an indefinate release people create their own release time so to speak. Usually based on the previous release times.

Setting indefinate times can only go so far.

Edit addition: Though thinking about it, maybe I should have been more helpful by making sure people had more patience.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 11:03:23 am by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 11:55:40 am »

When you set an indefinate release people create their own release time so to speak. Usually based on the previous release times.

They had the foresight to obfuscate this by not listing the release dates, though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 11:58:57 am »

They had the foresight to obfuscate this by not listing the release dates, though.

Sort of, they still make their own date based around when the assumed the other were released. There just isn't a way around it since the advent of the Industrial Revolution.

A Large Varience (as there was) in listed releases could have even had a beneficial as it could have given a rather large buffer. Though I wouldn't have gambled on it since people pick and chose what to listen to.

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 06:09:38 pm »

Aaaaand wrong thread :l

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2009, 06:55:24 pm »

I don't really care when the DF Talks get released, as long as they do every month or two. I usually don't get the time to listen to them for a week or two anyways.

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

The nauseating smell of entitlement lingers here.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 05:07:40 pm »

The nauseating smell of entitlement lingers here.

Cool post considering the last one was over two weeks ago. 

Requesting this thread's opening post be reposted, stickied and locked, and this one destroyed, when Toady is able.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 05:15:36 pm »

I don't see why it's necessary to lock it.  People might want to discuss the questions themselves, like they did in this one.

Combatjuan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.isoftdata.com
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 04:49:33 pm »

I humbly request a special guest appearance by Threetoe on the show sometime when it is convenient.

My reasons:
 * I enjoy the stories that he posts.  I'm admittedly not all that well-read in fantasy, but some elements of his stories are fresh and unique to me.
 * When Toady talks about the game, he always uses the 1st person plural.  This emphasizes to me how closely the two must work together.  I'm curious how similarly the two would respond to the same questions.
 * From the video of the last meetup, I got the impression that Toady's and Threetoe's personalities are quite distinct.  I'd appreciate hearing about the plans for the game from a different angle.  Though I also got the limited (and perhaps wrong) impression that Threetoe is shy, at least relative to Today (who appears not to be at all), so I don't mean to request that he put himself into an uncomfortable situation.

Either way, thank you Threetoe and Toady for an amazing game, and thanks to all the people who put these talks together.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 05:03:15 pm »

To be truthful, During Fortress Talk 1 when I couldn't tell who was who... I honestly thought Threetoe was one of the speakers. (I believe it was Captaintastic)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10