Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Questions by email (link inside)  (Read 272236 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk: Questions by email (link inside)
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »

Well judging by another topic I made, my question is unanswerable so :P

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2011, 07:54:18 pm »

If you're talking about the "Unlockable Races" thread, then I don't think it's unanswerable, merely kind of a weird thing to suggest for DF.  I'm legitimately curious as to why you think adding abstract barriers to gameplay, making different races 'unlockable' is a good idea.  It prevents you from doing stuff like playing The First Elf, or being the leader of the last 10 dwarves or so.  It's on par with saying you need to defend against 10 sieges before you can play as humans, or something. You never even attempted to answer why you think it's a good idea, even though it's literally all I was asking, and instead locked the thread and insinuated I was obsessively shutting you down.  But you got the last word in before locking it, so I guess you won.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2011, 07:58:41 pm »

It wasn't your fault I shut it down (though the word "obsessive" doesn't exactly reflect that... and I can't change it at this point). I just didn't feel like holding it up while being shutdown. That and I treated your posts as "The posts of the people" and thus when you said equivocatively "This topic is pointless" then I assumed that thus everyone thought it was pointless.

I wanted a mechanic for when Dwarf Fortress doesn't just allow you to spawn something from nothing, when it doesn't let you play what should be unplayable races (such as animals), and when it doesn't let you play anything whether you should or not. A mechanic that would hold up when Dwarf Fortress isn't playing the anything card that could be adjusted in the world parameters and that could be implimented WAY before the "anything goes" mechanics while at the same time still being relevant.

A mechanic so when you click "Adventure mode" it comes up with a race list that reflects the current nature of the world rather then any "playable in adventure mode" tag that may have been placed there.

ESPECIALLY in advent of the animalmen and the occasional race switch within the same civilisation that occasionally happens.

The unanswerable part is that Toady doesn't HAVE an answer. He just has possibilities and often just goes "well I'll give an option whether it happens or not" and thus if I asked it, I'd get a nebulous answer because Dwarf Fortress is about 2 full releases away from having non-human/elf/kobold/goblin civilisations even possible without modding.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:03:58 pm by Neonivek »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2011, 08:09:17 pm »

And there'll probably be some sort of option to turn spontaneous genesis of [elves] or whatever on or off.  That wasn't what the thread you made was actually about though, which is probably why it was so confusing.  You simply suggested having to unlock races before you can play them, and even ended on "a minimum population of 1000" before you can play as them.  It's pretty easy for someone to not get what you're trying to say when you're not actually saying what you're thinking about saying.

I'd like to avoid cluttering the thread, so if you want to continue this you can PM me.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »

This is kind of a yes/no question anyways, we' probably like to hear questions like, "What will the upcoming Sky Kingdom release entail?"  rather than, "Will there be dancing bears in the future?"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:09 pm »

Huh? no it is about how the mechanics of playable versus unplayable will work outside the spontanious playability system. (except worded a lot better)

I just have asked enough long lasting questions that I am sort of starting to understand how Toady answers things. Atleast when I ask them :P
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:04:10 pm by Neonivek »

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:45 am »

i was wondering how many question-mails you get nowadays. quite some time ago someone mentioned it not being really many, so has the situation changed? are you being drowned with mails now?

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 11:36:28 am »

Nah, it's still slow.  Put in your good questions! :D

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 06:04:13 pm »

k, already did ;)
but that rises another question: do you weed out your mail-pool after every episode, or do you store mails until you have time to answer them all, even when its far later than the mail came in?

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 06:15:48 pm »

If it's a good one it will get answered in a 'cast or two.  If it's something we can't really easily answer in the 'cast, then we'll discard it.  If you've asked a question over 2 months ago and it hasn't already, then it likely won't get answered.  Good luck!

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2011, 08:22:32 am »

youre keeping them ready for about 2 months/casts, awesome!
thanks for the answers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »

To admit I always thought you had a question stockpile...

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2011, 04:18:26 pm »

Naw, they get stale pretty quick and start attracting flies.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2011, 02:03:30 am »

Naw, they get stale pretty quick and start attracting fliesSwallow men.
Fixd

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2011, 07:12:15 pm »

Naw, they get stale pretty quick and start attracting flies.
I hear barrels help with that.  :P
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10