Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We build this fort on rock and incompetence.  (Read 1997 times)

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
We build this fort on rock and incompetence.
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:32:59 am »

I'm quite bored so I've decided to ingest a sizable amount of benzodiazepines and try to run a fort. The fort is named Zustashrimar (Ancientcastle) and is set near a river, a volcano, and a chasm. Trees are very plentiful and I've embarked with plenty of supplies. Lots of booze, seeds, shrooms and turtles along with 3 picks and an anvil. Only two war dogs and a single cat. I'll try and update this depending on my schedule and the actions in the fort.

Whenever this are starting to become too bland and predictable I'll do my best to imply some chaos into the works. (any suggestions for this are most welcome) The entire point of this is to try and be as bad a leader as I can while still keeping the fort alive.

Let's see how long a fort lasts when it's leader is as incompetent as the rest of his dorfs!

Rules:
1. No sobriety. Whether through benzos, lack of sleep, and anything else I think of I don't want to be thinking clearly when I do this.
2. No pausing the game. My dorfs don't get a break and neither do I.
3. Never shy away from danger. If something nasty is nearby I must not ignore it. Either by combat or other means I must deal with the problem in a swift manner.
4. Be ruthless. If a dwarf is causing too many problems he is to be punished....severely
5. Persevere.  I will not give up until all is lost. (as proven by the magma flood that claimed the first fort.)

PS- if someone could give me a quick rundown on how to make in-game screenshots that would be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:47:44 pm by Fien »
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: We build this fort on rock and incompetence.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:35:35 am »

Ctrl-Alt-Print Screen while you have the game running. Tab out.

Open MS Paint.

Ctrl-V

Ctrl-S

Upload on Imageshack or Photobucket.

But Photobucket is utter crap.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:59:04 am »

Thanks, and if you have a way to screencap the whole fort at once that would really help to. If not It'll just be kinda fragmented (no big deal)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:00:51 am by Fien »

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:46:19 am »

15th Hematite, 95

My first spring is over so it's time to give a quick overview of how this are going here in Zustashrimar.

The fort is off to a good start. I've drilled into the side of a mountain near a magma pipe and a chasm further into the mountains. I've dug out some hallways and a large dorm for all my dorfs to sleep in. I'm postponing personal rooms for as long as I can.

The chasm is a bit too close for comfort so I'm going to have to try and flood it with magma before I try to mine the various goods I see in it's walls. My only real problem now is the slow work of my miners.

Hopefully the summer will bring some good things.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:30:53 pm by Fien »

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:42:20 am »

If you want to screenshot your whole map, ESC - then choose which Z-levels you want exported!

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:46:50 am »

Logh much?  ;D

Also, this looks like Fun.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 02:18:21 pm »

ugh.....magma flood killed everyone. I'm gonna pick a different site and try again. I mean I wasn't even a year in so I think a do-over isn't out of the question.

OK, found a new site and it's practically identical to the old as are my supplies and dorfs. I've changed the above update to reflect the actions of this new fort.

Sorry about the confusion guys, that magma flood came out of nowhere and took all my guys before I could seal the area off.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:42:00 pm by Fien »

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 03:04:12 pm »

Wow, that was fast  ::)

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 03:57:59 pm »

Haha, I like the idea of this :D
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 06:09:45 pm »

9th Sandstone, 95

Near the end of Galena I decided to try and get a magma workshop up and running. I switched on the appropriate skills on my mason and sent him to build a smelter. It seems, however, that the local fire imps did not find his company at all pleasing and a pair proceeded to very rudely incinerate him. I activated everyone into the military and killed one while the other got away (It seems the mason was well liked since not a single dorf seems to be taking his death too well). The area is off limits until a significant military presence can be made to keep watch over it. My trader and record keeper has taken over the fallen mason's duties but work has been greatly hindered.

At the start of Sandstone a dwarven caravan passed through and it took me quite awhile to get a depot up and running. Once I realized my predicament I simply deconstructed the depot with all within it and claimed their goods for myself. They're probably pissed but they can go straight to hell for all I care. (and I happen to have a chasm nearby that likely leads to it should they be so inclined.)

Well that's going to be it for now. As my sobriety returns Zustashrimar must be put on hold until a later date. However, if these past couple of months are any suggestion, this fort should become quite interesting.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 12:44:01 am »

*pics to follow*

Zustashrimar, 95

Near the end of Sandstone some migrants arrived. I activated some badly needed jobs in them but made something of a mess of it. This has, and probably will continue, to haunt me. This problem has made itself apparent by mid Timber when very little was getting done.

On the 3rd of Monestone I sadly had to sacrifice one of my miners in an attempt to flood the near-by chasm with magma. The results
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
were hardly worth the loss of such a useful dorf. My newly recruited military squad then tumbled with a fire imp down by the magma workshops with one dead on either side. Hopefully that should be all we hear from there for quite awhile.

13th Monestone -  With the fire imp problem finally over (I hope) I've finished setting up both a smelter and forge near the magma pit. Time to get some weapons going in this bitch.

25th Monestone - LAZY FUCKING MINERS! Dudes are taking forever to dig out a small vien. One isn't even digging at all ("on break" my ass you lazy prick!) Meanwhile a kobold tried to sneak in and steal some stuff only to be greeted my sparring military dwarves. Better days hsve been had in the kobold kingdom, I'm sure.

8th Obsidian - Apparently my miners aren't digging because  they need picks....who would have though? Got some being forged right now.

Spring has hit and my first year here in Zustashrimar is looking like I might just survive. (I probably will be destroyed in some horrific manner soon enough but it's important to stay positive).

See y'all next year!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:46:53 am by Fien »

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 11:10:34 am »

Open MS Paint.

Ctrl-V

Ctrl-S

Why does everybody use Imageshack or Photobucket?  IMO, imgur is way better.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 03:31:32 pm »

I have one thing to say.

Change the title a bit. Replace the period with an exclamation mark.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 06:58:40 am »

Open MS Paint.

Ctrl-V

Ctrl-S

Why does everybody use Imageshack or Photobucket?  IMO, imgur is way better.
People use them because they're more popular and more widely known, not because they're in any way the best out there.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 07:52:48 am »

Can you post your site? It looks rather nice.
I mean, the world-gen settings, and whereabouts it is.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: [1] 2