Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The opposite of fun  (Read 3209 times)

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
The opposite of fun
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:05:39 am »

First time I've ever seen this happen & it's one of the most annoying things ever.
In my current fort, every civilization in the Civilization screen is at peace with all the others! I'd post a screenshot but it'd take multiples to show them all so just take my word for it. There are 2 Human civ's listed, my forts parent Dwarven civ, an Elf civ, a Kobold civ & a Goblin civ as you'd expect but they all show green "P"s to every other civ when I scroll down through the list.
The last Goblin siege I recall was during Spring of the previous year as the Elves didn't bother showing up to trade & as it's now Autumn that's at least 6 seasons without a siege or ambush. I haven't seen Goblin Snatchers for at least a year & Kobold Theives dried up a few seasons ago too.
The exports to the Kobolds still show "Petty Annoyance/Death" & the Goblins still show "Terror/Vengeance" but I'm curious to see if I get a Goblin caravan during the coming Winter if the wiki is to believed. If so I'm hoping using the usual Elf annoying tactics should get them back to their sieging ways but I've no idea how I could fix the Kobolds.
Has anyone ever had this happen to their fort & are there any ways to fix it which don't involve modding? The reason I started this fort was to play with the clowns before the new version changes them & I've still go find their location (still training champions) so it's not the end of this fort quite yet but it would be nice to have some Goblins for entertainment occasionally. I was planning on getting the Kobolds & Elves to ambush once I've dealt with the clowns for added fun.

Also only one of the Human civ's ever sends caravans & liasons/diplomats (I'm guessing the closest one). If I 'accidentally' upset them would the other start sending caravans or would they assist in sieging or is it no different to having one Human civ?
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: The opposite of fun
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:46:59 am »

I'm guessing the goblins and kobolds ran out of meat to send to the grinder, you can attempt to increase the number of babies they have per litter in the raws.

AFAIK, if you kill the representative/diplomat, you'll go to war with all civs of their race. Since each race only has one representative/diplomat.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:32:26 am »

Well at least it is more interesting than playing elves. DF usually keeps me stuck to my seat, playing elves I would just get so bored I would leave it running and go do other things like drive across town and go shopping.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »

I'm very interested in finding out how to make civs go to war with me as well. Even the orcs are at peace with me, although making them babysnatchers at least gives me an occasional ambush. I've killed at least 2 hundreds of goblins but they are at peace with me too.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:21:11 pm »

This is why it'd be nice if worldgen would run every time spring rolls around to decide what the rest of the world was doing for the year.  Given how often species go to war during worldgen, you'd have a far better chance to have a war pop up.
Sanity is for the weak.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:40:34 am »

I played almost a full in-game year last night. Winter came & went without any goblin caravan arriving. Elves still haven't brought any caged animals even though I've been siezing their entire caravans goods for the last 4 or 5 years (they were blocked last year by the last ever goblin siege) & their diplomat is beginning to get annoying so I may anger them for the ambush fun but I keep wanting to hold out in the hope that they'll eventually bring some good animals.
I have had some goblin snatchers this Spring & Summer & 2 goblin ambush squads with 8-10 enemies each so all hope is not lost even though the civ's screen still shows everyone at peace. No kobolds so far. Did get my 2nd megabeast though which was another dragon. It killed the original one I'd tamed & was promptly taken to pieces by my 5 melee champions.
My created wealth has gone up by over 1 million in that year as anyone who makes anything now is legendary in their profession (it's 7 million+) even though I don't make much in the way of non-consumable items anymore.
I may just get around to making some roads to bring the king & then go hunting for the clownite/clowns. Knowing my luck the massive created wealth boost will bring a huge goblin siege while my military are busy taking on the clowns. There's an underground lake in the tile east of the magma pipe too so I may go see what fun I can find in there & maybe hunt down the last surviving Troll which has been stuck on a chasm ledge since I embarked (killed the 3 non-stuck ones long ago).
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:31:42 pm »

Happens all the time with me...

In my most recent fort, everyone's at peace with each other except the goblins and elves, who are at war.

Honestly, though, watching elves and goblins kill each other could make for a new dwarven past time.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »

If you want to remove the babysnatcher tag you must also replace INTELLIGENT with CAN_CIV and CAN_LEARN but not CAN_SPEAK.

If they cannot speak they cannot form treaties, and so will always be hostile.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 06:39:40 pm »

When I read the title of this thread, the first thing I thought was that you'd discovered a way to win.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »

yeah I thought that too. But what he's really done is lost. Without civilizations/species to genocide away... you're not truly a dwarf. Apply magma immediately and fix this situation.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:25:22 pm »

yeah I thought that too. But what he's really done is lost. Without civilizations/species to genocide away... you're not truly a dwarf. Apply magma immediately and fix this situation.
When I read this, my first assumption was that you were suggesting he wage war on himself.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 09:55:34 pm »

I played almost a full in-game year last night. Winter came & went without any goblin caravan arriving. Elves still haven't brought any caged animals even though I've been siezing their entire caravans goods for the last 4 or 5 years (they were blocked last year by the last ever goblin siege) & their diplomat is beginning to get annoying so I may anger them for the ambush fun but I keep wanting to hold out in the hope that they'll eventually bring some good animals.
I have had some goblin snatchers this Spring & Summer & 2 goblin ambush squads with 8-10 enemies each so all hope is not lost even though the civ's screen still shows everyone at peace. No kobolds so far. Did get my 2nd megabeast though which was another dragon. It killed the original one I'd tamed & was promptly taken to pieces by my 5 melee champions.
My created wealth has gone up by over 1 million in that year as anyone who makes anything now is legendary in their profession (it's 7 million+) even though I don't make much in the way of non-consumable items anymore.
I may just get around to making some roads to bring the king & then go hunting for the clownite/clowns. Knowing my luck the massive created wealth boost will bring a huge goblin siege while my military are busy taking on the clowns. There's an underground lake in the tile east of the magma pipe too so I may go see what fun I can find in there & maybe hunt down the last surviving Troll which has been stuck on a chasm ledge since I embarked (killed the 3 non-stuck ones long ago).

You know, when I tried playing around with elven pack animal trade capacity (with hilarious consequences), I managed to get basically a breeding pair of every single animal that would spawn in the elven home tiles... I just haven't been able to do anything with them, as I've yet to clean this mess up.

Basically, if you don't meddle with nature TOO much, just triple the carrying capacity of a camel, or just set all the pack animals to carry 15,000 dwarfweight, the same as a wagon, you shouldn't have to worry so much about entire caravans that consist of nothing but cloth bins and maybe some wood.  (You WILL get insane amounts of arrows and wooden armor, though...)

Is it cheating?  Well, in a sense, yes, you're modding the game to your advantage, but it can also be seen as correcting a bug in the game to begin with, since I seriously doubt that Toady INTENDED for elven trading to behave this way.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare