Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.  (Read 23680 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:30:46 pm »

Greetings! I've started to draw a comic following the awesome Boatmurdered saga:

I haven't seen anyone picking up the task so I've decided to try. It's just the beginning but because I am not a native english speaker I'd like to find someone with ability to write in a good manner for a  task.

I want a following thing: besides the main "story" I want to add "inlets" (full pages without frames) describing some lore object, i.e. a creature, an entity, a place, an item or some specific person. Basically anything from the df community "Lore". The text shouldn't be too long to allow me to place it on a single page with images around it, but I accept any length :). Example of the font size is on the first page of the comic, the first strip.

If you could contribute a clever description of anything, i.e. of a dwarf, elven society, a miner's pick, Captain Ironblood or Plump Helmet (you get the pattern :)), I'd be most grateful and include you in credits with some funny picture.

A special request: try to avoid cheesy jokes and make the text in "encyclopedia" style if possible, not from a point of view of a dwarf, but some historian. I.e. instead of writing "elves are treehuggers which should burn in lava", write something about a conflict in ethics between elven and dwarven societies which sometimes ends with feuds and even bloodshed. But in a peaceful time while elves tolerate dwarves chopping trees and burning wood, the elven cloth industry and proficient animal tamers often supply mountainhomes with a steady amount of cloth and exotic pets.

Thank you in advance and for your support! It's a hard task for me but I'll try! :D.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 06:32:01 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:58:48 pm »

I'll write some stuff.  Does it just have to be just lore though?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:02:40 pm »

Well, if not, you know how to contact me and ask about it :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Empathaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 05:33:17 pm »

What you have so far is great, I'll be keeping up with this. I love the little touches (? Next to cats on the checklist, eg.).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »

... and "no cook" on a crate with turtles? :P
I've sketched pages 4 and 5 already, but I will finish them tomorrow. 1:40 AM here already. Night everyone :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:38:52 pm »

This is awesome! Bookmarked and RSSed! ^_^
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 05:56:19 pm »

I'd be happy to write a peice or two, does it have to be in any particular style
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:05:19 pm »

As I told, just don't make it too silly (sometimes we go too far in our DF-specific jokes) for outsiders and it should be nice. I leave the freedom of choice to everyone because DF world is really big and delivering.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:07:54 pm »

You are doing us a service by spreading the word to the people
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »

Did you ask permission to copy and paste the actual writing done by the original Boatmurdered crew?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:42:20 pm »

I've mailed but didn't get the answer. I think you're right, I should replace the first text before I get it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:34 pm »

I could easily throw together some writing. Why don't just just post a list of topics in this thread and let people tackle them?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:20 pm »

I'd be fine to type up some stuff in my spare time.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 09:18:06 pm »

I've mailed but didn't get the answer.
Sucks for you dude.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 09:34:45 pm »

But wasn't BoatMurdered both boring and heavy handed most of the time except for a few funny moments?

Honestly I still don't understand how it caught on. People don't even mention 99% of Boatmurdered, just the 1% and then say the WHOLE thing was some sort of magical roller coaster of awsome.

Why make a comic out of something that is mostly horrible? Why don't you just skip most of it and just do what people like? Swearing, lava, and elephants. I am kinda confused if this is just called "Boatmurdered" (as that would explain why writers are needed) or a retelling of Boatmurdered or something.

Mind you I am not so much crying out against your comic as simply not understanding why.

Ohh well Id help you if I thought I was funny :D unfortunately I am not. If you need proof that I am unfunny and not simply unwilling to help I am more then willing to give you a sample of my work.

As for Cheesy Jokes. They are best when done sparingly but are not inherantly bad, in fact they are best used to draw attention to bad dialog.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 10:39:05 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8