Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You are what you play...  (Read 942 times)

fizzding

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
You are what you play...
« on: March 06, 2010, 01:17:01 am »

When you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes into you.  Nietzsche

I have been a long time admirer of this game, yet have always had some difficulty in playing one fortress for any length of time; until now.

I find that if I drink while playing everything seems to work better and more efficiently.

I am not sure if this is a testament to the dwarfs or myself.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are what you play...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:39:23 am »

I think you're onto something.  That said, if you drink while playing a sober fort, Armok will splatter you against the ceiling in retribution.

fizzding

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:00:29 am »

What is this "sober fort" you speak of?

/dwarven wine is good enough for those bastards...

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 02:02:46 am »

I've found that mixing my favorite vices always results in more fun.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »

All my forts are always as straight/organised as possible, if I were to start a police state in them it would already have the perfect architecture. Efficiency is everything in my forts, and I often have floodgates/raising bridges separating some parts of the fort from others. I have had no more then 10 big problems dwarf fortress is known for, and nothing like that ever happens to me since then.

And then I played a fort after drinking a bit one night, it looked..Interesting, and from the map it looks like I had plenty of 'Fun'.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:50:57 pm by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »

I tend to wing it whenever possible while following an overall guideline that I set for myself. And I tend to play rather semi-realistically.

You know, stick within bounds of reality, but loosen it up enough to still have fun of both kinds. Oh, and I tend to do all kinds of experiments whenever possible to maximize on fun and interesting architecture.

Bloodfist was particularly fun to map out for max. efficiency in both building and operating while being structurally stable looking and rather plausible in overall engineering. Of course, with a few DF physics involved to get away with having the propellers double as windmills when idle.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:04:57 pm by Itnetlolor »