Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.  (Read 23705 times)

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered comic strips - writers needed.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 12:10:55 pm »

Well, Boatmurdered did have some pretty long, dull stretches, but so did the founding of Rome, World War One, and the sinking of the Titanic. Doesn't mean they're not worth telling stories about, just means you should leave out the parts where Romulus and Remus bicker about which of the seven hills should be devoted to producing endless fragments of pottery and which should be the red light districts.

I like it very much so far, Deon. Funny to see someone looking for a writer though. It's usually artists being courted by slavering hordes of writers most places I've seen.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 12:12:46 pm »

I am just confident that I lack artistic talents in english because of my limited knowledge of this language and its specifics. Anyway I am going to spend another evening angering my wife by ignoring her and drawing something appropriate :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 12:22:20 pm »

I am just confident that I lack artistic talents in english because of my limited knowledge of this language and its specifics. Anyway I am going to spend another evening angering my wife by ignoring her and drawing something appropriate :).

You could always write her in. The problem comes a few pages down the line when she gets elephant'd but everyone else is still ecstatic because of all the cheese carvings ;)

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 12:22:29 pm »

100% support for this having just read the first 4 pages.  The art isn't amazing or anything but shit it's a fucking web comic so who cares? Not trying to belittle your drawings cause I think it beats out a lot of that crapola fanart on da and it's defiantly more pleasant to look at than many other web comics.  Boatmurdered got me and many others playing DF so I think it's a great fort to do a comic about.  Gonna try to do a couple lore pages in my free time.   

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »

Yeah a lot of people starts after reading Boatmurdered, I just got a friend to read it (I linked the tale of Tholthig and he were impressed by the possibilities of the worldgen), and now he's on his 3rd or 4th day with playing Dwarf Fortress :)

Boatmurdered were the start for a lot of people, if any of the forts deserve a comic, it's Boatmurdered.
And quite possibly Nist Akath.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 01:14:47 pm »

A minor nitpick, but the actual name of the fortress was "Koganusān", which simply means "Boatmurdered" when translated (much like "Urist" is just the Dwarven word for "dagger").

Other than that, it's looking good so far.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 02:26:04 pm »

The next page. Sorry for the lack of awesomeness and deaths, but I feel like establishing a basement of a story before jumping to the action.

Also it took a bit less time to draw this page, so I hope with some practice I'll be able to draw faster and hopefully better.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 02:26:34 pm »

Well, Boatmurdered did have some pretty long, dull stretches, but so did the founding of Rome, World War One, and the sinking of the Titanic. Doesn't mean they're not worth telling stories about, just means you should leave out the parts where Romulus and Remus bicker about which of the seven hills should be devoted to producing endless fragments of pottery and which should be the red light districts.

I like it very much so far, Deon. Funny to see someone looking for a writer though. It's usually artists being courted by slavering hordes of writers most places I've seen.

For the Founding of Rome, WW1, and the sinking of the Titanic people generally cut out the boring stuff.

So your statement only goes to prove the opposite of its intention.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 02:27:33 pm »

I feel like establishing a basement of a story before jumping to the action
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »

Well, Boatmurdered did have some pretty long, dull stretches, but so did the founding of Rome, World War One, and the sinking of the Titanic. Doesn't mean they're not worth telling stories about, just means you should leave out the parts where [boring stuff happens].

For the Founding of Rome, WW1, and the sinking of the Titanic people generally cut out the boring stuff.

So your statement only goes to prove the opposite of its intention.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2009, 03:29:28 pm »

Which statement of MINE? Please do not quote for no reason. I just state that I do everything and you come in telling that my statement proves the opposite by someone's else comment? How so :).

Also, a quick sketch of expedition leader's notes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 03:34:40 pm »

Which statement of MINE? Please do not quote for no reason. I just state that I do everything and you come in telling that my statement proves the opposite by someone's else comment? How so :).

Also, a quick sketch of expedition leader's notes.

Oh, I was replying to Neonivek. Guess I'm spreading confusion everywhere today.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 03:39:52 pm »

I saw just a quote, so I thought that it means that you second that :).

P.S. Microcline furniture.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 05:03:24 pm »

I think you need a comic strip about the annual flooding. I considered it just being a written passage, but it really deserves a comic.

The typical method of dwarven farming is... quaint.
A miner is shown.

No self-respecting dwarf farms out in the sun. So the miners go deep under ground in search of hidden water sources.
(Picture of a wild system of probationary tunnels, not unakin to what you see ingame)

Once a pool or river is found, the dwarves mark the location and carefully flood it into a space, depositing a layer of mud and silt for farming.
The miner in the first panel has burst open the wall, which is letting in a biblical torrent of water, as he runs for dear life, shouting "FLEEEEE THE MIIIIIINES!

Once the farming area has been covered in mud, the farmers quickly plant mushrooms- usually Plump Helmets, which can be planted in fall and ready to eat before the harsh frost of winter.
Miners are planting plump helmets in the ruined, muddy working and living spaces. Some disgusting mutant cave creatures are flopping in the mud.

This process of flood and farming in the fresh underground soil is repeated every year.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 05:24:09 pm »

That's exactly what I asked. I planned to introduce plump helmets at some point and it looks like a good idea to do it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8